Page 113 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1313

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Wooosh View Post
    Did Altamont discontinue a bunch of Python grips? Oh well.
    I think it is an issue of "new year, new you/them", Thier outlet store on Gun broker has been empty for a while now and a lot of product on the web site is showing not available.

Site Supporter
    Welp....Python is on layaway, time to go sell some guns that don't excite me.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Okay.

So I get the hype.

I also get the frustration.

As I wait for a set of WC sights to show up, I put a few hundred rounds through the new Python and it is exquisite. The DA trigger is among the best I've ever felt on a factory revolver. It's not just good, it is great. That said, I've had 3 light strikes. Not something I love but we will see ignition issues will continue, improve, or worsen as the gun breaks in.

The rear sight is retarded. The adjustment is some of the dumbest shit I have ever encountered on an adjustable sight.

Also, the whole assembly wiggles like a loose tooth.

The gun shows moments of brilliance and I can tell that it's a shooter...but until the WC sights come in, I can have no clear evaluation of its accuracy.

All in all, I would say it has the potential to be the greatest factory revolver ever made...or it has the chance of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and being a problematic, overpriced attempt to capture the glory of days gone. I suppose whether Colt improves their product or just does nothing will determine which of those happens.

Given their track record and my experience with their 1911s, I am not holding my breath awaiting the sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Okay.

So I get the hype.

I also get the frustration.

As I wait for a set of WC sights to show up, I put a few hundred rounds through the new Python and it is exquisite. The DA trigger is among the best I've ever felt on a factory revolver. It's not just good, it is great. That said, I've had 3 light strikes. Not something I love but we will see ignition issues will continue, improve, or worsen as the gun breaks in.

The rear sight is retarded. The adjustment is some of the dumbest shit I have ever encountered on an adjustable sight.

Also, the whole assembly wiggles like a loose tooth.

The gun shows moments of brilliance and I can tell that it's a shooter...but until the WC sights come in, I can have no clear evaluation of its accuracy.

All in all, I would say it has the potential to be the greatest factory revolver ever made...or it has the chance of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and being a problematic, overpriced attempt to capture the glory of days gone. I suppose whether Colt improves their product or just does nothing will determine which of those happens.

Given their track record and my experience with their 1911s, I am not holding my breath awaiting the sublime.

What ammunition did you have light strikes with?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    What ammunition did you have light strikes with?
    My handloads. I use CCI primers, and they all fired after a restrike. Also the light strikes *seemed* less frequent as I shot the gun more but idk

I've had one ragged hole at 25 yards and 2.5" groups at 50 with the factory sights off a bag- the rear might wiggle on some examples, but assuming you actually cinch the set screw down, it's accurate enough.

The WC rears are certainly an improvement, but not absolutely necessary to evaluate accuracy of the piece in my personal experience.

I was fiddle-farting around with my new Python before I went in for my hip replacement, and, I have to say, as much as I love the look, feel, fit and finish of the revolver, I'm lukewarm. At the price point, having to spend almost $200 for workable sights, and then having similar marginal and inconsistent accuracy results along with a handful of light strikes, I'm disappointed.

I've owned and shot very accurate revolvers over the years, and, so far, my Python hasn't wowed me. I've shot Federal GMM 148 wadcutters, a variety of 158 gr and +P LSWCHP .38s, 125gr .357s, and 158gr .357s, and nothing shot terrible well, for me.

I did get one very nice group (about 1.5" at 25 yards, seated and rested on my range bag, shooting all SA) out of my 148gr WC handloads, but, when I tried to adjust the group to POA, I could never replicate the accuracy, and, after about 25 rounds of chasing groups around the target, I gave it up on the hopes I was just having a really bad day.

Site Supporter
    I just shot the Python side by side with a rental 686 just to get a comparative idea of what each gun does well.

The 686 has a better single action trigger and definitely allowed me to get slightly better groups in SA than the Colt...that being said some of the groups I shot with the Colt just had a random flier that I called because the SA on this gun is unfamiliar and frankly far heavier than it ought to be.

Yes yes I know, all revolvers should be DAO...I get it. I don't often shoot SA groups with a revolver, but I tend to use it to get an idea of how accurate the gun can be, and I think that's fun. And overall that's what revolvers are to me...because my serious guns for shooting bad guys or whatever...yeah those are semi automatic and magazine fed.

The DA on the Colt though...it is far better.

I loved both though.. so I'll probably be saving for an L frame soon, given the fact that the 686 has been a gun I have drooled over since childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I loved both though.. so I'll probably be saving for an L frame soon, given the fact that the 686 has been a gun I have drooled over since childhood.
    The gun I lusted for as a kid was The Python. My favorite show at the time was Starsky and Hutch (still in my top 5 today), so that could have been an influence. Also, L frames didn’t exist yet, I think.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The gun I lusted for as a kid was The Python. My favorite show at the time was Starsky and Hutch (still in my top 5 today), so that could have been an influence. Also, L frames didn’t exist yet, I think.
    Not gonna lie, my love of the L frame comes from learning to shoot centerfire pistols with one.

My love for the Colt Python however...that came from watching Magnum Force.

In fact...many a Clint Eastwood movie has factored into my enthusiasm for wheelguns.

User Tag List