Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revolver standards?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The Bakersfield Qual that has been discussed at length here allows six seconds for the reload stage with an auto and eight seconds for a revolver.

An empty wheelgun and an empty auto are the same problem.

If I am accosted by two armed robbers, the problem is the same whether I am carrying a G19 or a Model 19.

One should not choose to carry a wheelgun and then whine about “fair” or the fact that a revolver holds less ammo and takes longer to reload.
    Got it- I think we might be talking past each other here. If accosted by two armed robbers, and this is contextual, “boarding house rules”: every body gets one before seconds. I can do that with a snub, a 1911, my usual carry G19, etc. My choice, and I won’t whine about it. People got stopped pretty well mostly with Colt SAAs, Webley .455s, Colt and S&W .45acp revolvers too - and they’re “obsolete”.
    I should clarify I’m speaking about “civilian defensive” situations. Reloading barely registers from reports; see Werner and his review of armed citizens. So, if you want to set the standard equally between action types, carry on, sir. All I’m saying is the reload is not a primary concern-good hits at speed are from my and others experiences.
    I’m a drill nerd so I may drag out the Hackathorn Head Shot Standards and do a little comparison shooting…
    I’ll need to organize a single action revolver!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    All I’m saying is the reload is not a primary concern-good hits at speed are from my and others experiences.
    Reloads are something we do to amuse ourselves because we can measure it; not because we are going to actually be able to do them in a close range gunfight.

I sometimes carry a revolver, but I do so knowing that the problem isn't going to change.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I generally don't ask for handicaps. I'll shake my head at the guys who set up 7 steel and snicker at me though and maybe make a good natured smart ass comment.

I'm looking forward to this year shoot a moon clipped gun. I don't mind 3-4 second clean reloads with speed loaders but damn if a reload that gets flubbed because a cartridge doesn't seat all the way pisses me off. I'm hoping dropping moon clips will get me a little closer to the top guys shooting double stack 9s with mrds.

For drills it depends on the drill.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

So there's a monthly challenge over on arfcom. In October I tied for first using my 3" m10.

The screen shot says 1911 but you can obviously see in the video what I shot. I was using 158gr swc @1000fps too.
    Name:  Screenshot_20230126-214552.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  29.3 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I generally don't ask for handicaps. I'll shake my head at the guys who set up 7 steel and snicker at me though and maybe make a good natured smart ass comment.

I'm looking forward to this year shoot a moon clipped gun. I don't mind 3-4 second clean reloads with speed loaders but damn if a reload that gets flubbed because a cartridge doesn't seat all the way pisses me off. I'm hoping dropping moon clips will get me a little closer to the top guys shooting double stack 9s with mrds.

For drills it depends on the drill.
    Get a 686+ and tell them to suck it?

Moon clips rock.

Do you have one of the mooner/demooner tools? They’re awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    So there's a monthly challenge over on arfcom. In October I tied for first using my 3" m10.
    Oh hell yes
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Get a 686+ and tell them to suck it?

Moon clips rock.

Do you have one of the mooner/demooner tools? They’re awesome.
    Moonclips suck for actual defensive carry. If they get bent in your pocket, you're screwed. Police agencies may repel logic, but in the revolver era when I started, I know of no agency that issued revolvers and moon clips. They are too easily damaged by carry and actual use.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I’m talking about a general standard for general B class proficiency.

You and I do semi-auto challenges with revolvers because we like the challenge and we are awesome but that’s not a realistic “standard” for testing.
    If we’re talking about general B-class proficiency I’d say 0.35 is probably a more realistic split time then.

But otherwise I agree in general!

Link, please?

@03RN - could you provide a link to the drill/eval, please? All of it didn't show on screenshot. And-nice work sir.

On the moon clips, there were Colt and S&W war revolvers, so carriage must have been figured out-some sort of pouch arrangement rather than pockets seems advisable. I shoot a 625 about once a year, so I'm no expert like the guys earlier.

Typical PF drift, so I'll just leave for now that imho shooting standards should probably be the same across action types.
    See how a "Wizard" eval goes, or Givens' SCAT eval seems very reasonable.

I'll wish everyone here "clear sighting and a good trigger"!
    (And a slick load if needed)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    @03RN - could you provide a link to the drill/eval, please? All of it didn't show on screenshot. And-nice work sir.

On the moon clips, there were Colt and S&W war revolvers, so carriage must have been figured out-some sort of pouch arrangement rather than pockets seems advisable. I shoot a 625 about once a year, so I'm no expert like the guys earlier.

Typical PF drift, so I'll just leave for now that imho shooting standards should probably be the same across action types.
    See how a "Wizard" eval goes, or Givens' SCAT eval seems very reasonable.

I'll wish everyone here "clear sighting and a good trigger"!
    (And a slick load if needed)
    The half moon clips used in the various 1917 revolvers were usually carried in a pouch, which you can buy a replica of today. Plus, the moon clips used for larger frame revolvers such as the 1917s or the 625 tend to be a lot sturdier than ones used for small CCW guns. I could easily bend one of the moon clips for my 905 between my index finger and thumb, but I couldn't repeat that feat with a TK Custom clip for 40 S&W Ruger GP100s.

User Tag List