Thread: Noob Question about AR Pistol Build

Noob Question about AR Pistol Build

I've been a member for over a decade, thought that I was proficient in using Google, but I still can't seem to find a straight answer and would like to ask the experienced members here. And I thought of asking this in the Pistol Brace Amnesty thread but didn't want to muddy the discussion there.

If you buy a new stripped AR lower, build it into an AR pistol with no brace, do you need to file anything with the ATF?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 37th Mass View Post
    I've been a member for over a decade, thought that I was proficient in using Google, but I still can't seem to find a straight answer and would like to ask the experienced members here. And I thought of asking this in the Pistol Brace Amnesty thread but didn't want to muddy the discussion there.

If you buy a new stripped AR lower, build it into an AR pistol with no brace, do you need to file anything with the ATF?
    No.

However, to be sure that ATF considers what you build to be a pistol:

Use a standard, perfectly round pistol-length buffer tube with no indexing holes or anything else for attaching a brace or shoulder stock. Add nothing to this buffer tube. 7 1:4 inch appears standard. I would not go any longer.

Do not add sights which would require shouldering a gun to use. Limit the sights to an unmagnified red dot with unlimited eye relief.

Keep the total weight including everything you attach less than 120 oz. (7.5 lb.).

The above is general information only and not legal advice. I am not your lawyer. Consult a lawyer admitted in your state for specific advice for your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    No.

However, to be sure that ATF considers what you build to be a pistol:

Use a standard, perfectly round pistol-length buffer tube with no indexing holes or anything else for attaching a brace or shoulder stock. Add nothing to this buffer tube. 7 1:4 inch appears standard. I would not go any longer.

Do not add sights which would require shouldering a gun to use. Limit the sights to an unmagnified red dot with unlimited eye relief.

Keep the total weight including everything you attach less than 120 oz. (7.5 lb.).

The above is general information only and not legal advice. I am not your lawyer. Consult a lawyer admitted in your state for specific advice for your situation.
    A clear and concise answer that didn't take a 300 page document that requires tons of lawyers to interpret.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Short answer is no. Buy your lower, have it marked as “Other” on the 4473, then you can build it into a pistol or rifle. No need for any further paperwork unless you want to turn whatever you built into an SBR.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    A clear and concise answer that didn't take a 300 page document that requires tons of lawyers to interpret.
    A significant part of that 300 page document is addressing (or pretending to address) the comments received. The much more limited amnesty for the guns that become violations of 18 USC sec. 922(r) upon this rule taking effect is not in the rule itself but in these responses to comments. It is thus very easy to miss unless one reads the whole document.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    A significant part of that 300 page document is addressing (or pretending to address) the comments received. The much more limited amnesty for the guns that become violations of 18 USC sec. 922(r) upon this rule taking effect is not in the rule itself but in these responses to comments. It is thus very easy to miss unless one reads the whole document.
    What about the VLTOR A5 Pistol Buffer Tubes? They’re completely round just a bit longer than a milspec tube.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

What about the VLTOR A5 Pistol Buffer Tubes? They’re completely round just a bit longer than a milspec tube.
    That’s a good question. I wonder if those would be okay because the entire length of it is necessary for function. It’s not added length that someone can say is solely to make it easier to shoulder, it’s required for the A5 buffer and rifle spring to move backwards the correct amount.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I personally wouldn’t. In fact, I’m building a new pistol lower and am using the same Strike Industries pistol RE that @Clusterfrack uses on his pistol. It’s even shorter than a carbine RE.

https://www.strikeindustries.com/si-ar-spre-slick.html
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    If it is necessary for functioning and none of the other factors in the new rule apply, then this might be okay, but a definite answer is impossible to provide. The big problem is that the new rule provides a list of factors, but provides virtually no indication of how many of those factors must be found unfavorable, or by how much each factor must be found unfavorable in order for a gun to be determined to be a SBR. The criteria I set forth above is intended to ensure that every single factor is favorable enough so that it stays completely out of the gray area. Any deviation from that potentially enters the gray area where being okay is unacceptably uncertain.

This question also perfectly demonstrates the real vagueness problem with the final rule, which I hope will form part of the basis for someone to successfully challenge the rule in court once it is published.

Thanks everyone, and thanks especially to BillSWPA.

I really appreciate the members of this forum.

User Tag List