Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I accidentally buy a DAK?!!

So, if you effectively let it out each time, it's like a way lighter DAO right? but if you are doing rapid strings...triple tap etc....your reset point half way is just a couple of lbs heavier but still decent?

I shoot an lem, DA/SA's, strikers pretty much same, and DA revolvers a bit less just to frequency so always wondered how bad these would effect me.

Instead of trying to spot the hammer difference...like nubby instead of all the way up I think....
    As long as there is no decocker lever you know that it isn't DA/SA but either DAK or DAO right?

So what is the hammer difference DAO vs DAK to look for?

Do some people prefer DAK and the smaller trigger pull poundage difference between them, then the larger difference of the DA/SA?

Again, rapid fire, like double or triple tap or fast five or whatever...is there more of less of a tendancy to throw the 2nd shot low like in a DA/SA from over muscling the gun.

Further SIGNESS re spotting in pics/GB....if it's a thinner front to back trigger that is the Short Reach Trigger but doesn't mean the Short Reset Trigger is necessarily installed though right?

Does a newer pistol that came with E2 grips means you may get either the short reset and/or short reach or is that totally dependent on models and mostly the more expensive ones?

I'm curious about getting a p239 in .40 and added +1 bases and sigs are hard to figure out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Ha! I wonder why he said that?

Feels like a great training gun in dry fire. I loooooove that trigger. The DA of a DASA (at least with my P229) is J frame kind of heavy.

It’s a 357 Sig so I’m taking what I can get. With that cartridge I won’t be burning down splits so it seems like a decent choice for what I’m looking to do with it. Maybe get it milled for an EPS (because you can’t mill very deeply on P-series, so a low deck is a must).

I’m okay with the $600 I spent, lol. Even if I did overpay, I’ll enjoy the heck out of it!
    If you’re looking at acquiring more .357 SIG guns as shooters / test mules most .40 cal service guns are a barrel swap away from being .357 SIGs. The SIG fan boi / collectors (aka gun fondlers) have turned their beady little eyes on .357 SIG factory guns.

The only guns which seem to hold up under actual use in .357 are the SIG Classic P series and the HKs.

If you really want a special snowflake, I’ve seen 40 caliber browning Hi power’s converted to 357.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The only guns which seem to hold up under actual use in .357 are the SIG Classic P series and the HKs.

If you really want a special snowflake, I’ve seen 40 caliber browning Hi power’s converted to 357.
    That is good to know, thanks!

I was half thinking of getting a Bar-Sto Gen 5 G22 conversion barrel for 357 Sig thinking that might hold up too, with the heavier slide.

This P226 feels really good and balanced though…

I suppose I should shoot it some. I really like my P229s in 357 Sig though. Bought partially because FAM-boi lol.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Ha! I wonder why he said that?
    The theory behind the design is that under stress people's cyclical rate increases and they start firing unsighted so a mechanical means to slow them down is a good thing. In execution what that means is a long reset and an even longer reset, each with a different weight on the next trigger pull. The theory is this heavier weight slows the trigger pull down and reduces cyclical rate so the panic shooter gets more time to get the gun out of recoil and realigned. Apparently it's better to have panic fire that's a millisecond or two slower, but now with the added benefit of a surprise increase in trigger pull weight, because if it's one thing that's going to increase hit rates it's never quite knowing how your trigger is going to react.

In short, it's the opposite of a DA/SA plus a little slot machine built in for randomness for the people at the training level it was designed to help. Hence it's extreme unpopularity and generally lower desirability on the used market.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The theory behind the design is that under stress people's cyclical rate increases and they start firing unsighted so a mechanical means to slow them down is a good thing. In execution what that means is a long reset and an even longer reset, each with a different weight on the next trigger pull. The theory is this heavier weight slows the trigger pull down and reduces cyclical rate so the panic shooter gets more time to get the gun out of recoil and realigned. Apparently it's better to have panic fire that's a millisecond or two slower, but now with the added benefit of a surprise increase in trigger pull weight, because if it's one thing that's going to increase hit rates it's never quite knowing how your trigger is going to react.

In short, it's the opposite of a DA/SA plus a little slot machine built in for randomness for the people at the training level it was designed to help. Hence it's extreme unpopularity and generally lower desirability on the used market.
    Oh man, that sounds terrible! Ha! I definitely better shoot it before sending the slide off to be milled….

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Oh man, that sounds terrible! Ha! I definitely better shoot it before sending the slide off to be milled….
    Well the good news is the gun is readily convertible to a different Sig trigger system, so if you hate it you can just dump more money into it and make it into a DAO or TDA.

TDA is my absolute favorite trigger system but different strokes and all.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I am one of of the dozen or so people in the world who actually like the DAK. Ignore that first reset point and you have a pretty nice DA trigger. According to the 2005 Swiss Arms patent application and other statements by the designer, "An object of the invention is the design of a trigger system of the type named above, (Double Action) which enables triggering also in the double-action mode with lower trigger weight and which remains functional even for a failure to fire."

At some point it became popular in some circles to teach users that the additional reset was there to protect the user from short-stroking the trigger, but that certainly wasn't the claim when the trigger was patented. Ultimately, some instructors/agencies taught users to use the longer reset, and some taught using the shorter reset. I doubt that confusion and contradiction helped the situation. In any event, and IMHO, one should just ignore the first first reset. However, if you are into the mindset of "riding the reset" or whatever, or like triggers that require about 4-5 lbs and 1/8" of travel, the trigger will likely annoy you. I grew up on revolvers and the DAK is essentially a very good revolver-like trigger.

If you want, you can send the gun to SIG or a few other gunsmiths and have it converted to DA/SA. It is actually pretty easy to do, but you have to round up the parts. I can get you a list if you want. I don't think you paid too much, or at least not by much. DAK P229 and P226 LE trades often sell for 450-650, depending on condition. The 9mm bring the most. Not sure about .357.
    Last edited by jd950; 12-29-2022 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Well the good news is the gun is readily convertible to a different Sig trigger system, so if you hate it you can just dump more money into it and make it into a DAO or TDA.

TDA is my absolute favorite trigger system but different strokes and all.
    Name:  359D4AE3-41E9-415D-BF34-27521FC0A60D.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  80.8 KB

Interesting thing… my BarSto 357 Sig barrels are as long or longer than the P226… so that’s a thing.

My P229 Legion 357 Sig is off getting K cut milled and will probably wait for that…

Name:  0E9348AE-4CCB-4425-A097-40E50F08E5E7.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  CD149A4D-0B24-471C-BC9B-E90FDA1F8854.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  82.4 KB

I going to go ahead and predict that if JCN finds the trigger to be extremely weird he will just see it as a new challenge and master it in about 3 hours. No, I'm not being facetious.

User Tag List