Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: New Aftermarket Glock 19 from Shadow Systems

Let us know how it goes. If you have any issues along the way I assume Shadow Systems would welcome the feedback.

I was just parusing the thread titled "but it looks cool" and can't help but somewhat think of the MR918. For me the best thing about the gun is the extended beavertail but I have no heartburn with the other stuff. The factory sights are good, the fore and aft serrations work well and the trigger is decent. Not wonderful but certainly useable and probably safe at the measured 4.25# as shown with my little fish weight trigger pull gauge. Some might see the MR918 as all fart and no poop but I think SS has done an admirable job of putting together logical choices in a package that has their own style.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Oops. I forgot to ask if you have any grip texture work planned for the gun. Is there anything there you think you can improve on? Only thing I see that could maybe use a little traction is underneath the trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Oops. I forgot to ask if you have any grip texture work planned for the gun. Is there anything there you think you can improve on? Only thing I see that could maybe use a little traction is underneath the trigger guard.

I can’t really think of anything it needs. I could texture under the trigger guard but i personally like it without it. The frame feels like one of my full house worked up frames. They really did an excellent job on the overall design of it.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 06-08-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Does this link work? I've never posted a link to Facebook before and am not a member of that particular site.

Good to see Lead Faucet/Dan B running one of these:

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Does this link work? I've never posted a link to Facebook before and am not a member of that particular site.

Good to see Lead Faucet/Dan B running one of these:

I would expect a few well known folks to get to T&E a few of these. Good advertisement and real world testing depending on who is behind the trigger.

They have only been out for three months I believe, and under most circumstances I wouldn't have tried something as new as the MR918. Being that it is based on a tried and true design, and Shadow has been building solid components for a while, It seemed like a bet with pretty good odds.

The frame is really the only thing that will have to prove it's durability and worth over time. Everything other part in it has a known and documented service life, so there is no guess work there.

I was perusing the owners manual earlier and came across some warranty info that gave me pause; If the MR918 is used in a self defense situation, is seized as evidence, kept by the authorities, and the incident was found justifiable, Shadow Systems will send you another MR918. (Readers Digest Version)

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 06-08-2019 at 09:05 PM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

That last post really makes it hard to not try one out. I've been hoping a combat with rmr cut would show up on GunBroker.

What is the going rate to cut properly for a rmr or sro or possibly the new acro? Lots of companies offer this service it looks like. I'd hate to butcher up an mr918 and not have the warranty voided.
    If it isn't much difference than upgrading to an elite I might just spring for the full house one.

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    That last post really makes it hard to not try one out. I've been hoping a combat with rmr cut would show up on GunBroker.

What is the going rate to cut properly for a rmr or sro or possibly the new acro? Lots of companies offer this service it looks like. I'd hate to butcher up an mr918 and not have the warranty voided.
    If it isn't much difference than upgrading to an elite I might just spring for the full house one.
    The service varies from $45 to $175 or better depending on if you have the slide refinished after the work.

The RMR cut is about a $50 upgrade on the combat or the elite. The elite stars out slightly higher than the combat as it has the slide windows and more slide machining. Pricing is going to depend on where you find one, and if they have what you are looking for in stock. Ordering from Shadow direct is going to be more than most retailers have it, there is a 6 to 8 week wait, but you can get exactly what you want.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    What is the going rate to cut properly for a rmr or sro or possibly the new acro? Lots of companies offer this service it looks like.
    I asked Shadow Systems if having another company mill an optics cut would void my warranty and was told the cut wouldn't be covered but the rest of the gun would be. Obviously if the slide cracked from the cut into the rear sight dovetail I'd be out of luck but a problem with the barrel or trigger or frame will be covered.

Taka a look at this website linked below. Primary Machine does top notch work but they don't do it cheap.

http://primarymachine.com/glock-optic-milling/

Personally I'm waiting for the Unity Tactical ATOM 2.0 cut to become available. That's probably what I'll go with.

Last edited by Tokarev; 06-08-2019 at 10:46 PM.

I shot my MR918 and my Nomad Defense frame put together with Gen 4 Glock 19 parts yesterday. Both guns were fired from a padded rest from 25 yards and were tested using the same ammo. I fired 25 rounds in five round groups for a total of 75 rounds through each gun.

First off, I think I prefer the Nomad grip shape over that of the MR918. It is more rounded than I usually prefer but I don't feel like my hand is quite as "crowded" if that makes sense. But the Nomad texture is smoother than the Shadow Systems and not nearly as effective. Both frames have a permanent beavertail so I had no issues with slide bite from either gun.

The Nomad trigger, being a stock Glock part, is a little heavier than the Shadow but it doesn't have as much pre-travel and has a crisper break. My Shadow trigger is a little gritty but is getting better and better with use.

Ammo used was 124 grain Federal HST, Winchester 147 grain White Box JHP and Winchester USA Forged steel case 115 grain. The only malfunction I had was in the Shadow. It was a failure to eject when using the steel case stuff.

Here are my results:

Nomad/Glock
    124 HST
    Avg MV 1178.4
    Avg group 3.04"

115 Steel
    Avg MV 1144.6
    Avg group 2.07"

147 WWB
    Avg MV 946.1
    Avg group 2.44"

Overall 2.51"

MR918
    124 HST
    Avg MV 1147.4
    Avg group 2.56"

115 Steel
    Avg MV 1145.3
    Avg group 3.16"

147 WWB
    Avg MV 919.9
    Avg group 2.18"

Overall 2.63"

As can be seen, I shot slightly better groups with the MR with the USA Forged ammo being the exception. The Glock barrel really liked that stuff. It wasn't terrible through the MR but the Glock barrel seemed to work well with it.

Both guns are generally fun and easy to shoot and are a different take on what's possible with a Glock frame while maintaining parts compatibility. The Shadow frame is a Glock 19 frame in general shape while the Nomad frame kind of reminds me of an M&P.

Here are pictures of both. The Nomad has a Brownell's slide in these photos but I used a stock Glock 19 slide for my accuracy testing.

Last mag of the day was fifteen rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 +P through the MR918. I shot this group from 10 yards standing. Pulled one a little low and left.
    Oops!
    Last edited by Tokarev; 06-09-2019 at 08:40 AM.

A couple more groups. These are standing offhand at 25 yards.

10 rounds loaded with a 124 grain cast SWC made by Montana Bullet Works:

10 rounds of 147 grain HST:

User Tag List