Page 289 of 725 FirstFirst ... 189239279287288289290291299339389 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,890 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Interesting.

Not commonly used in USA at all.

cc
    The cynic in me suspects that the way Chinese pharma and hospital relationships incentivize certain medications and tx plays a role in this. Methylpresnisolone has an interesting (not in a good way...) history in China, dating from its introduction only about 20-25 years ago.

While the situation is much better than it was 10 years ago, the scope and prevalence of inherent venality among senior management at medical institutions in China would still be staggering to most Western observers. Think of the ethics of the shadiest strip mall "pain clinic" operator and scale that up to the head of a 1,000 bed hospital. Every Chinese clinician I know looks up to Western hospitals in this regard, even the ones who have seen the flaws in US, UK, Canadian, etc. medical centres up close. As might be expected, those on the front lines are usually focused on the right things, but the level of frustration and disillusionment they have to deal with as a result of the people running things is heartbreaking at times.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A firsthand account of the effects of COVID-19
    Holy shit balls. That’s just chilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    AFAIK while there is evidence to support the use of solumedrol in some pneumonias, the evidence that it is effective for ARDS is shaky unless the underlying cause is steroid responsive (eg eosinophilic pneumonia or CAP). . Example here. @ccmdfd can comment more.

edit: oops, he already did.
    I think a lot of clinicians in China would agree in principle, but the dynamics of hospitals in China are keeping them on that shaky path. (Ex., my reply to @ccmdfd for one factor that might be contributing to the pervasiveness, despite a lack of support or even contraindications.) I'm heartened by the fact that this kind of influence is lessening, and I'm hopeful that if some good can come out of this crisis, it's that the status and authority of doctors, especially clinicians, in China is being improved greatly.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Learning point from ^^^^: don't self diagnose, self analyze, and self manage. Don't expect high fever kill the virus. Your neck and arms weren't tingling from a low sat. Bilateral pneumonia feels like shit, don't sit at home and see if things get better. Go to ER.
    Yeah I would be in the hospital by day 5 or so of his account.

Site Supporter
    When do we think this hit the US? There was some really bad flu with CV19 "like" symptoms going around in February. Could CV19 been in the US before "officially" diagnosed.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If for some reason you don't have a thermometer in the house, add it to your list for your next trip out.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If for some reason you don't have a thermometer in the house, add it to your list for your next trip out.
    I've been looking for one online and haven't found one that seems decent at a reasonable price.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've been looking for one online and haven't found one that seems decent at a reasonable price.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Y7YDK3...language=en_US
    #RESIST

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    When do we think this hit the US? There was some really bad flu with CV19 "like" symptoms going around in February. Could CV19 been in the US before "officially" diagnosed.
    Yes that’s very possible but hard to confirm

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Reviews don't seem particularly confidence inspiring.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List