Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Need new dad bag

Site Supporter
    Therer is a Tom Bihn Forum and a Tom Bihn FB Group. I ma sure there are overlapping members. Having said that, this TB "Parental Unit" bag is much awaited.

TB seems to manage supply and demand well by extensive use of pre-orders. They have a reputation for meeting/beating the delivery date. They retain their value well and used units in certain models approach retail when sold on Ebay, particularly when the bag your selling is not available at a moment in time.

The stuff is scary well made and I continue to edc and do 3-4 day casual trips using the the Synik 30 with great joy.

I am so sold on the brand that I will be going thru the bunker again and thin the herd some more re an old school Jansport and Maxpedition or 2 to justify a recent used purchase (Brain Bag.)

PS-Rob S/ How is the Gregory working for you as your most recent edc bag?
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

I am so sold on the brand that I will be going thru the bunker again and thin the herd some more re an old school Jansport and Maxpedition or 2 to justify a recent used purchase (Brain Bag.)
    The Brain Bag has my eye for EDC. Would be interested in your take compared to the Synik 30.

I am into the Nomatic bag for about a year now and no real complaints other than it just doesn't feel as sturdy or tough as the Tom Bihn or Camelbak products I have used in the past. I keep waiting for a strap to break off but I don't see any fraying or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This one has me thinking I need to acquire one, even though my days of being a parental unit are long-gone.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

https://mountainsmith.com/products/2020-day-lumbar

It may be a little smaller (13L) for some folks but I love mine for dad-stuff with just a single toddler. The capture flap adds some nice function for securing another pounce or load.

I actually have two, one for dad mode and one as a work “go bag” to augment my laptop bag. I think the 13L rating is pretty conservative as it carries more than my HPG Tara (16L).
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Doc Glock asks:

"The Brain Bag has my eye for EDC. Would be interested in your take compared to the Synik 30."

My comments presume some familiarity with the Tom Bihn Line. Ramble follows.

36 Liter Brain Bag v a 30 Liter Synik- Old School v. New School/Old Vette v New Vette. Both have their charms but one is simply more modern and user friendly.

The Brain Bag is a big, well built bag that would serve well as an EDC if your loadout was big/bulky or both. The used version I have is 1000d cordura both inside and out in a gunmetal gray color. It was soft and worn in well like the slick black Eagle Industries 3DAP I used to carry as my EDC before I bought my 425d blacked out Synik 30 with a gray 210d checked interior. Indeed, the BB reminds me of an improved more EDC designed, less Military version of an Eagle Industries 3 day assault pack given its overall size and cinch strap/buckle placements.

If size is driving the train, the BB is the obvious choice over the S30. It "seems" more than 6 liters bigger than the Synik 30. As a daddy bag, particularly for multiple kids, the bigger size alone would likely have me giving it the nod over the Synik 30. I say this as the father of twins who were born at 26.5 weeks in 1999 and one who had to haul around O2 (with an extra tank) a heart monitor and all of the "normal" daddy bag things.

I did an apple to apple comparison with gear placement from my Synik to the BB-Writing Utensils in left side pouch, electronic cords and multitool in right side pouch. FAK and Boo Boo kits down in the bag. Computer/files in the main compartment.I also used my Freudian Slip for an issued disc drive, iPad and some other gear in both bags.

When compared to the Synik, my version of the BB has a lot less sewn in slots for pens etc and no o rings in those pockets to clip stuff into unlike the Synik. Moreover the BB does not have a dedicated and padded laptop slot like the Synik such that a padded sleeve would be essential in protecting my Govt Issued HP 14.1 Laptop. Having said that, the compartments in the BB are huge and you could easily fit two (2) 17 inch laptops if that is your jam.

When the BB shines is in its size- 36 liters (I suspect that this is a conservative estimate) and the compression straps on the sides to cinch it down when needed. Like all TB stuff, it is really well made and it will last forever as my used version represents. The only thing I do not like is the outside water bottle carrier clip "system" but carrying a large water bottle is not my thing. A smaller more tubular bottle would likely fit in an outside mess "pocket" outside, on the left compartment of the BB.

Both bags have waist strap attachments that do nothing re transferring weight to your hips. If your loadout regularly exceeds 25 pounds and that is your desire re a waist strap, neither of these bags is ideal for that application. Both bags are quite comfortable on the back though the newer generation "edgeless" shoulder straps being incorporated across the TB line are a definite improvement.

The Synik 30 is a bag where you could do edc/and a business casual trip of 3 days easy -5 days max (with laptop) so long as you packed smart and thought about your second pair of shoes. I have been using it for EDC since Spring and on three 4 day casual trips easy peasy this spring/summer. As the weather gets colder, bigger shoes/clothes might push the window to a 3 day loadout. I like the intersection of looks/sleekness and usability with the various YKK zippered pockets. Anything this side of a stuffed to the gills Synik would get under the seat of most planes and in the overhead with ease. The Synik 30 has a "clamshell" YKK zipper system and the back has not "unzipped" inadvertently in any way.

The BB 36 would allow for EDC/ 5 day business casual trip (4 seasons) with little thought to the second pair of shoes presuming you worn the heavier shoes/boots on the plane. Function is superlative and form more than acceptable with the BB. Ultimately, at base, the BB is a bag that can easily best serve in the EDC role so long as you are hauling a big computer and a load and/or you are good with cinching a not small bag down to your back when your load/computer is on the smaller side. A fully packed BB would not fit under most airline seats and would have to go in the overhead for sure. Having said that, even stuffed to the gills, you should be able to carry on as by definition, any bag worn on the back, without wheels, rarely draws a second look. At some core level, The BB is an organized bag of bags.

The Synik 30, to me, is really part of a purpose designed edc/travel system where there is a dedicated padded slot for your computer. Each pocket has sewn in slots for pens/pencils/markers etc. coupled w various sized zipper pockets that are ideal for a water bottle, cords, earbuds, etc. There are multiple sewn in o rings that encourage you clipping in your keys, and pouches can be further organized by size/color/type/function and could be easily transferred from TB bag to TB bag. There are integrated/removable tie downs inside the bag and an elasticized pocket that keep loads from shifting about.

I am very happy with he Synik 30 as an EDC/Travel bag. At 300.00, you have a Made in the USA bag with Tier One materials at a place where the founder is still working/cutting/sewing and designing on a regular basis.

My previously owned writing utensils case (from JetPens) and electronica cords bags (from Ikea) clip in with TB attachments "leashes" that were a few dollars each as do my keys/knives/flashlights etc if desired.

As a company TB, has three areas of possible fault:

1. Even a 300.00 for a bag DOES NOT include shipping.

2. You can get nickeled and dimed with cool little accessories. i.e. the Brain Bag is 210.00. A TB padded case for a computer (cache) could be another 50.00. While it is super cool and attaches in a manner to the bag such that you can fly with it and often run it thru TSA without having to detach it, 50.00 is 50.00.

3. Because they are relatively small and sewn in the USA, they can sell out of stuff, take a pre order and you can wait for several weeks if you time your desired purchase poorly. As such, as mentioned above, there is a vigious used (sometime just catch and release) market on ebay and the FB interest group. Folks will buy stuff in multiple colors/configurations. Use it a bit but outside the return window and then sell it for 75 to 100% of retail. Having said that, TB hits their delivery times even with the supply chain issues and 44 container ships off the coast of CA as we speak.

Bottom Line-Extremely Well Made in the USA Gear. Buy it. If you do not like it, flip it and get most of your money back. I am on the fence re this BB in my stable but I would like to take a trip or two with it first before I decide for sure.

Tom Bihn is the Tom Givens of the bag design world. He has an answer for everything he does. You might not agree with it, but it is clear he has thought about every design cue...a lot.

Moreover, both Toms are constantly innovating and evolving their product lines with user input to the betterment of all.

Finally, both Toms are still putting in the work.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

On the "sling bag" side of things, had need for a small "fanny pack" type of bag twice in one weekend, so came home and got one of these. Haven't carried it yet but seems legit so far.
    https://www.aersf.com/city-sling-black
    Scootered and walked all around St Augustine yesterday. This thing is totally a winner so far!

Might could do with an armpit strap in some instances but I’m learning to predict and pre-empt the slide when carrying it.
    All of the above is working out really well. use the sling SO MUCH more often than the full-on backpack now. They've come out with a Version 2 that's a skosh bigger and has a better strap and buckle, a top mounted carry handle, and key clip, if anyone is interested. All of these things would be, IMO, welcome changes. I just don't want to buy the almost identical bag.

Where the bag is lacking ever so slightly for me is on two fronts:
    1) it doesn't fit a Kindle. I really also want an iPad mini, which would also not fit. The Kindle, right now, is a big deal for me at the beach and/or hotel pools and it would be great if it fit in the sling.
    2) the centered buckle. Pretty much prevents it from being worn on front when carrying a backpack as the buckle digs in too much. Maybe less of an issue with the new strap/buckle.

Fortunately, Aer makes a Day Sling 2 that's slightly larger, has a side buckle, and otherwise appears to be functionally about the same.

so I ordered one up in Olive and it should be here in a couple of days.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

[QUOTE=rob_s;1299801]
    Not sure if your still looking but I just bought this https://defybags.com/collections/all...tic-nylon-2021

Very well built and not tactical looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the above is working out really well. use the sling SO MUCH more often than the full-on backpack now. They've come out with a Version 2 that's a skosh bigger and has a better strap and buckle, a top mounted carry handle, and key clip, if anyone is interested. All of these things would be, IMO, welcome changes. I just don't want to buy the almost identical bag.

Where the bag is lacking ever so slightly for me is on two fronts:
    1) it doesn't fit a Kindle. I really also want an iPad mini, which would also not fit. The Kindle, right now, is a big deal for me at the beach and/or hotel pools and it would be great if it fit in the sling.
    2) the centered buckle. Pretty much prevents it from being worn on front when carrying a backpack as the buckle digs in too much. Maybe less of an issue with the new strap/buckle.

Fortunately, Aer makes a Day Sling 2 that's slightly larger, has a side buckle, and otherwise appears to be functionally about the same.

so I ordered one up in Olive and it should be here in a couple of days.
    Bag arrived.

First off, Aer makes good stuff, to a high level of quality, and ships quickly, at (what if find to be) a reasonable price. That’s rare, and I’d buy from them on that alone.

Without having carried the new bag, just having tried it in, some immediate impressions…

I like the fact that the buckle is on the side and it can be carried in the front of the body while wearing a backpack without the buckle digging into you and in a horizontal orientation that makes it easy to access.

The trade off there is that you can only carry it on one shoulder, and unless you have it cinched up tight that carry method on the back would potentially interfere with a traditional IWB holster concealed under a t-shirt behind the right hip. Also, any potential fatigue or discomfort over the long haul can’t be spread across both shoulders.

The new bag is bigger, obviously, which is nice from a cargo and access standpoint. The old bag had kind of a unique strap system that automatically compressed the bag when slung. The new bag doesn’t have that, so it just stays big.

There’s a couple more pouches in the new bag, which I find handy already in my initial gear transfer. The elastic on them is also new so it is tighter. It also has me wondering what else I can stuff in there.

The larger volume seems to indicate that I could easily add a water or Coke bottle in there pretty easily. Tough feat in the old one.

Old City Sling (black, top) vs new Day Sling 2 (OD, bottom)
    Name:  9E35413F-3603-46E1-9EA6-22511D9464D8.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  CE8BE560-FF92-420C-A05A-7A8B3BD756B0.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  99.4 KB

Contents of old bag, fit easily in new bag
    Name:  934FFC0D-D022-46F9-8AD3-910538DE0149.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  100.6 KB

The main reason for the ew bag, the “tech pouch” to hold a kindle or iPad mini. Haven’t tested it with the kindle yet.
    Name:  15795A51-C73C-4693-9B24-F0FBF7C417B7.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  89.3 KB

Data
    Name:  EEF07500-6D3E-4BCE-AE02-E6D76A75BC89.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  35.8 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    On the "sling bag" side of things, had need for a small "fanny pack" type of bag twice in one weekend, so came home and got one of these. Haven't carried it yet but seems legit so far.
    https://www.aersf.com/city-sling-black
    This smaller version looks like something I'd like to try, except that the buckle would definitely be a problem. The side to side orientation is my preference, vs slings that wind up upside down when rotated between chest and back position.

I'm looking for a sling bag just big enough to empty my pockets (wallet, phone, key fob, knife, POM) and add a few "want to haves" (TQ, flashlight, a few other IFAK items). Definitely no need for a tablet or water.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List