Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Feral hog defense

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    My wife thinks its funny, we will be walking though the sage during certain parts of the year, and the damned skeeters won't touch her, while I am getting drained alive. I have literally taken off jogging the last 1/4 mile back to the cabin to escape them, while she cracks jokes.
    Wifey and I have the opposite problem. She's the one that gets eaten alive while they ignore me.

That said, years ago, someone gave me some "Skin So Soft" with the explanation that it would keep the mosquitoes off me. They *only* bit me where I had applied that stuff.

Chris

wild boars around here are mean as F. and I regularly see 150lb ones come back from hunts

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post

Personally I'll stick with 9mm. I've never had a pig charge me, but I don't think shooting at a 150lb pig missile is a high probability target and would opt for capacity.
    I concur. Although sometimes P-F can make a person wonder if it’s not a bad idea to dress like a cross between Doc Holliday and Tackleberry. Maybe Doc’s actual words were, “I’m your tackleberry!” A 9mm on the belt for people. A 10mm for mountain lions and small bears. A .357 Magnum for wild hogs. A 500 Magnum for large bears. And a revolver full of snake shot for... you know... snakes. That’s assuming we set down our Beretta 1301 and can’t get to our slung AR. Lol!

I kid of course. All we really need is to open carry (at low ready) an MP-5 10mm clone.

In all seriousness though... it’s sad what happened to that woman in Texas. The main lesson in my mind is for folks to improve their situational awareness. That will save more lives than a gun of any caliber most days.

That is a 60ish year old (late 1950s production ) 7.5" .44Magnum, which there were only 1,000 produced, making it one of the most uncommon and more desirable for collectors. I found it in a sort of local gunshop that was run by a former state trooper, and nice guy. It had some finish wear so I was not worried about wearing it into the field, and using it as it was built to be used.

I figured someone else can worry about diminished collector value after a get a few decades of fun out of it. When I retire I will whittle down my collection dramatically but until then, I will use the things I enjoy and not worry about it.

Shown here with a Milt Sparks 200AW high in the Lost River Range on an elk hunt last December:

And a cattle chute in northern Nevada in November 18:

GJM says I am stuck in the past with Elmer Keith, and while there may be an element of truth, since I enjoy the .44 Magnum and Elmer's writings, I find myself switching between my Glock 21 .45, my N Frame .44s and guns like this just too much fun not to do it!
    That is one badass six-shooter. Thanks for the pix. Makes me want to go and re-read some Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton writings. I love that stuff.

Did you shoot the hog with a jacketed or hard-cast bullet? What weight?

As far as the mosquitos, I generally get exsanguinated while my wife doesn't get touched.

Hogs still don't have a candle of large domestic livestock

Depending on which report you read, the CDC says:

Cattle kill an average of 20 to 22 people a year.

They lump horses, cows and "other mammals" together but the best I could gather from reading multiple articles was averages ranging from 22 to 28 annually for damn horses.

Dogs kill more than horses or cattle, Ranging between 30 and 50, with fatal attacks increasing. My guess would be thanks to hood rats and their affinity for Pitt Bulls and similar breeds.

All that said, there is no reason one should not have a dedicated Perfect Packin' Pig Pistol, if one truly feels the need!

A Glock .45/10MM would be a pretty solid choice I would think.

IDK, I only have limited pig experience.

That looks like a Javelina, is it not?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That looks like a Javelina, is it not?
    That looks like a feral pig, and in the US Javelina are found along the southern border in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. They are really prolific in the areas around Eagle Pass to Laredo. The snow is one clue, javelina have comically skinny legs and would get high centered in a drift or get frost bite (I made that up). The other is that revolver is a bit over a foot long, so pig is at about 2 gun lengths too long.
    Last edited by txdpd; 11-29-2019 at 11:50 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I also am a mosquito attractor. Makes living where I do extra-suck.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

New thread idea: Mosquito EDC....

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    New thread idea: Mosquito EDC....

Wait. What? I didn't get past the pic.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Wait. What? I didn't get past the pic.
    Yeah I love flamethrowers too.

User Tag List