Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Cancel Culture Goes Conservative: Black Rifle Coffee Company

Site Supporter
    I don't know about the rest of the country but there are some great small breweries in CT these days and some of the beers they produce are fantastic. Back East Brewing (https://www.backeastbrewing.com/home) is my current favorite by far and I'm a huge fan of their DIPAs. Thomas Hooker Brewery (https://hookerbeer.com/) is another and they managed to make an amazingly good triple IPA, which is a lot harder than it seems, apparently. You guys that are dismissing the IPA trend out of hand are missing some real gems, as far as I'm concerned.

ETA: I really don't give a shit if the guy making my beer is gauged or beard oiled or covered in shiny new tats or whatever. I care about the beer. I'll take good beer from hipsters over crap beer from whomever else all day every day. Writing those guys off as hipster buffoons is no different than them writing you off as a boomer. The stereotype is there for a reason but if you live your life guided by it, you're gonna miss some awfully interesting experiences along the way.
    Last edited by Erik; 11-28-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    they managed to make an amazingly good triple IPA, which is a lot harder than it seems, apparently
    It truly is a shame that Green Flash Brewing went out of business. Their "Green Bullet" triple IPA was phenomenal, and I miss it a lot. It was hoppy, but not to the point of smashing you in the face with it, and at ~10% ABV, it packed a punch.

ETA: just googled, and Green Flash seems to exist again, but their website seems to indicate that Green Bullet is no more.
    Last edited by olstyn; 11-28-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I wonder what I’m doing differently?
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Different machine and different temperature, maybe? Or different water to coffee ratio? I am just spitballing but that's all I could think of.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I can’t recall, but is the bustello a super fine grind? If so, some drip makers will splash the grounds up and over the sides of the filter. And you don’t need as much grounds, by volume, with a fine grind anyway.
    Yeah, I always make a full 12 cup pot of coffee. Apparently that was too much of the espresso grind Bustelo in the filter and it caused an overflow. Cut back to eight cups and it works fine.

Better Brew Up Some More

There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Look, we're here to talk about coffee and...SQUIRREL!!! So, anyway, this thread is about sushi and if you can't und...SQUIRREL!!! So, anyway, that's why we're talking about artisan candle-making.

I will continue the drift.

This has been my favorite beverage of late:

https://hoptea.com/collections/all

Alcohol has been messing with my belly, having something different than water is good.

Mrs. RJ was out today and snagged me some Bustelo K-cups. Will provide a report in the morning.

Name:  720E46FA-C158-49C2-8234-F9F2D5874C25.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  93.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Mrs. RJ was out today and snagged me some Bustelo K-cups. Will provide a report in the morning.

I drink this when I’m home in NH, Michelle is a confirmed Keurig user. I’ll bring my put when I finish moving.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    As I have posted here in the past, I did not start drinking coffee until I started camping out as Asst SM with BSA well into my 40s.
    I stumbled across Bustello instant espresso at Target @ 6 ish per jar.

At home and often camping, 7 oz of boiling water over 1 table spoon of espresso and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Stir 50x. Add 1+ oz of half and half. Stir 50x. Done and wonderful. If I am roughing it and have no way to keep the half/half cold, I just sub in 2 heaping table spoons of powdered milk with a little less water. Premix the dry goods in a few empty Rx containers.

Bustello inc also has a tidy mail order operation. IIRC, I got 8 jars from the mothership at 40ish shipped back in April when it was unobtanium at Target.

I find all Starbucks and the vast majority of coffee shop coffees too be too woody, burnt or earthy tasting in contrast to my exceptionally smooth concoction.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Time to try these again. It looks like they're now Keurig approved so I won't have to spoof my machine into brewing. I like the Bustelo grounds in a drip maker in my office.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    You guys talking about Bustelo intrigued me, so I bought a brick at Harris Teeter on a whim Wednesday. I've been making coffee with it in my 32oz french press by using 4 tablespoons of the coffee. It's pretty dang good IMO. My coffee cup, a Winnie the Pooh mug given to me by my then girlfriend, now wife, holds 18oz. I've been drinking coffee out of it for nearly a quarter century, btw. I fill it 2/3 with the french press Bustelo brew and top it off with a few ounces of whole milk. I run a cheap rotary "frother" in the mix to give it a bit of froth and then enjoy. The color is about that of FDE. Damn good.

I think I found a new favorite coffee. I'll try it in my regular drip machine this week when I go back to work.

Chris

User Tag List