Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smart Home

Haven’t quite figured out the need for a smart home. I can see some convenience items like voice commands for TV, music and other entertainment things, but the idea that your PRIMARY means if defense against intruders would be networked for any idiot with a laptop to hack freaks me the hell out.

Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    I'd like to get some kind of camera system, but don't know if we want to go through the trouble of running wires given that we may not be in the house for a whole lot longer, and I don't want to be up on ladders.
    Can't help you on the ladder issue, but with current wifi, battery and solar technology you don't have to wire anything.

Ring Spotlight Battery

Ring Spotlight Solar

Arlo Pro 2

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Haven’t quite figured out the need for a smart home. I can see some convenience items like voice commands for TV, music and other entertainment things, but the idea that your PRIMARY means if defense against intruders would be networked for any idiot with a laptop to hack freaks me the hell out.
    For me this is the issue. Government spying or whatever is the least of my concerns and out of my scope of control. My biggest concern is some dude with a computer and a skill set to do nefarious things with my homes systems. Electronic locks on doors especially freak me the hell out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Electronic locks on doors especially freak me the hell out.
    "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARJ8cAGm6JE

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    My biggest concern is some dude with a computer and a skill set to do nefarious things with my homes systems. Electronic locks on doors especially freak me the hell out.
    This always makes me laugh.

Everyone worries about the lock on the door when you likely have something in your yard that could be tossed through your window allowing entry.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Everyone worries about the lock on the door when you likely have something in your yard that could be tossed through your window allowing entry.
    You assume windows haven't been treated. Between the double pane windows, anti-smash film it would take a hot minute to get through my windows so yes the door is my biggest concern if the lock could be bypassed.

Oh look it's rob_s making dismissive assumptions and talking down to people again.

lulz.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Oh look it's rob_s making dismissive assumptions and talking down to people again.

lulz.
    well that's on-topic...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    This gizmo allows me to set a bunch if day-specific on and off times. It's about as far as I want to take things.

It was about $15 or so at The Orange Box of Hardware.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Can't help you on the ladder issue, but with current wifi, battery and solar technology you don't have to wire anything.

Ring Spotlight Battery

Ring Spotlight Solar

Arlo Pro 2
    Neat... but holy feces that's expensive...

I was really hoping to rig up multiple cameras (at least four outdoors, and three indoors) and feed them to something that would record and be accessible by internet without a subscription. Wireless and solar sounds great but that's outside the budget I was hoping for...
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

User Tag List