Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

Indeed. I trained in the frigid cold for nothing.

Last weekend I was out there for a multigun match and it was in the 20's most of the day. Afterwards I donned gear and ran most of the RNG course and the weather was perfect. Its going to feel like a heat wave this weekend. In fact, I may have to carry water.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

I'm kinda disappointed there won't be an epic blizzard, but then again the last race almost killed me so maybe "easy" weather won't be a bad thing.

My itinerary is a bit different this time around. I'm flying in and out of Tulsa instead of driving, so I'll actually have time to hang out after the race instead of driving back to Little Rock. If anyone wants to grab a steak after the race I'm game.

I was probably too late to the game by the time I send the email, but I tried to snag one of the spots that opened up today. We'll see.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    If anyone wants to grab a steak after the race I'm game.
    Click's, last I checked, does not take reservations over the phone, but does in person. I can probably set something up Saturday night since I'll be staying at Pecan Grove again, if we get some numbers up.

LnL , just show up, there's always no call/no shows. Flop down the cash, I seriously doubt they'll turn you away.

On a side note, I almost called you about that match this weekend but I got busy and forgot. It was cold, but fun.

We'll be eating there Friday for sure. Mrs. FOG is running Friday so she'll want to celebrate and I'll be eating the nerves away for Saturdays run. We might eat there Saturday as well, who knows.

Site Supporter
    In a bit of analysis paralysis for the rock castle run and gun. Training is going okay but I want to start running on the basement treadmill under load. And I only got 2 months to work out gear issues.

Thinking this to carry 3 rifle mags, maybe a water bottle, IFAK, flashlight, and stopwatch: http://www.first-spear.com/product.p...cat=274&page=1

And then 4 pistol mags and a holster on my usual wilderness belt. Second flashlight and pocket knife in my pockets. Carrying my rifle most of the time.

Feedback? Thoughts? Do I really need suspenders? I do intend to actually run the whole thing so will suspenders help with stability?

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post

Thinking this to carry 3 rifle mags, maybe a water bottle, IFAK, flashlight, and stopwatch: http://www.first-spear.com/product.p...cat=274&page=1
    That looks hella uncomfortable for planning to run a course with loaded mags. Chafing, breathing restrictive? Fabulous control garment tho. ;-)

Ultralight chest rig (BFG splitminus?) High on chest + separate light backpack with compression straps. Load up the chest rig with mags as needed, keep mostly empty between runs. Lightweight frame pack if you're carrying substantial weight.
    Last edited by schüler; 01-19-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    In a bit of analysis paralysis for the rock castle run and gun. Training is going okay but I want to start running on the basement treadmill under load. And I only got 2 months to work out gear issues.

And then 4 pistol mags and a holster on my usual wilderness belt. Second flashlight and pocket knife in my pockets. Carrying my rifle most of the time.

Feedback? Thoughts? Do I really need suspenders? I do intend to actually run the whole thing so will suspenders help with stability?
    First: skip the treadmill. It's ok to test your gear but I highly recommend loading a backpack with sandbags and running outdoors on real hills. You need to practice pacing yourself on flat ground, uphills, and downhills. I made a simulated rifle weight by filling a PVC pipe with concrete. Worked well for getting accustomed to the awkward weight

Second: I love my suspenders. I've got 2 AR mags, 2 spare pistol mags, and a loaded G19 on my belt. Suspenders let's me run the belt a little looser which is great. Also mitigates having an unbalanced load(spare mags >> loaded Glock).

I carry spares in my backpack. If needed I can exchange mags on the move between stages.

I can't remember the round count, but I think for Rock Castle I was planning 4 rifle and 4 pistol mags. I kinda got screwed at the last OK RnG when a timer died on a stage. I didn't budget enough ammo for a reshoot, so they "guessed" what my time was. An extra mag won't kill my run and I like the insurance.

Third:. Take water. A 10k run isn't hard and doesn't require water, but you don't know how long you'll be out there. Wait times vary and obstacles may be challenging. Take some water and a cliff bar or gel. If nothing else it's useful to wipe mud off your hands/face, clean your glasses, etc.

Site Supporter
    First, it's been in single digits here so I ain't running out side...yet.

Okay, I could run two pistol and two rifle mags on my wilderness belt and everything else in a backpack with a small water bladder. I just liked the idea of having everything out at once. But that does seem more practical/comfortable. I'm not crazy about a big chest rig, I just have no use for it outside of this event...

User Tag List