Thread: The Facts about using a Neoprene Wedge for AIWB

The Facts about using a Neoprene Wedge for AIWB

Ethical Considerations:
    Undoubtedly there will be a good bit of misinformation perpetuated online, this is just how things work. I am always trying to push the proper information out because I genuinely dislike unethical practises of putting unvetted, false or misleading information out (due to inexperience, malicious negligence or ignorance). As such I was going to wait to post this until later this year once I had a chance to really destroy one of V Development Group's neoprene wedges, but I have several which I have been testing, one of which for a little bit more than 18 months, that I recently replaced only do to personal preference and I took some photos to explain a few things for this post.
    Full article -> http://www.vdmsr.com/2017/07/the-fac...ene-wedge.html
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

These reports are wonderfully educational, and I know of no one else spending the time or the treasure to perform the necessary research.

Thank you for that.

Good job, Voodoo. You baffled half the people on Reddit with this article (haha), but I thought it was solid. My own experiments with homemade wedges have led me to many of the same conclusions.

Mirrors my anecdotal observations as well.

Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    These reports are wonderfully educational, and I know of no one else spending the time or the treasure to perform the necessary research.

Thank you for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    Good job, Voodoo. You baffled half the people on Reddit with this article (haha), but I thought it was solid. My own experiments with homemade wedges have led me to many of the same conclusions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Mirrors my anecdotal observations as well.

Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for taking the time to read it.

I am always looking for opinions on personal experience with the wedge for aiwb as it is a relatively new development. I want to make sure that my understanding and experience is valid as well as repeatable. Simple putting information out there for the sole point of selling a product is not my intention with this article, education through experience is very important to me.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

voodoo_man,
    Thanks for the write up. I went ahead and ordered a wedge from V Development Group along with another t-shirt since I really like the Liberty Reaper I got a few weeks ago.

The position of the wedge being before the muzzle means that if you carry a Glock 17 in a Glock 17 sized holster that the wedge will be closer to the edge than if you carried a Glock 19 in a Glock 17 holster, this is perfectly acceptable and expected.
    I'm not sure I'm following this part.

Based on geometry, if I was using a Glock 17 sized holster I would expect to get the same results with either a Glock 17 or Glock 19 as long as the wedge was located in the same spot. If carrying a Glock 19 but using a wedge position that would align with the muzzle of a Glock 17 the muzzle, although shorter, would still have the same angle from the body as a Glock 17 in the same holster. Using a wedge position that aligns with the Glock 19 muzzle should increase the angle from the body since you would essentially be shortening the "base" of the triangle that is created by the distance from the belt to the end of the wedge and the "height" of the triangle (height of the wedge) is remaining constant.

You mentioned that the position of the wedge can have a big impact on comfort for different body types, but and I wanted to add that I have found that position of the wedge can also vastly change the ability for the wedge to push the muzzle out based on body type. If the "ideal" wedge position based on the holster happens to fall on a particularly low or squishy spot for an individual, they may find they get significantly better muzzle angle by moving it towards or away from the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    voodoo_man,
    Thanks for the write up. I went ahead and ordered a wedge from V Development Group along with another t-shirt since I really like the Liberty Reaper I got a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure I'm following this part.

Based on geometry, if I was using a Glock 17 sized holster I would expect to get the same results with either a Glock 17 or Glock 19 as long as the wedge was located in the same spot. If carrying a Glock 19 but using a wedge position that would align with the muzzle of a Glock 17 the muzzle, although shorter, would still have the same angle from the body as a Glock 17 in the same holster. Using a wedge position that aligns with the Glock 19 muzzle should increase the angle from the body since you would essentially be shortening the "base" of the triangle that is created by the distance from the belt to the end of the wedge and the "height" of the triangle (height of the wedge) is remaining constant.

You mentioned that the position of the wedge can have a big impact on comfort for different body types, but and I wanted to add that I have found that position of the wedge can also vastly change the ability for the wedge to push the muzzle out based on body type. If the "ideal" wedge position based on the holster happens to fall on a particularly low or squishy spot for an individual, they may find they get significantly better muzzle angle by moving it towards or away from the muzzle.
    Thanks for checking out the article and ordering one, the tshirt is pretty awesome too.

As far as geometry goes, the fact that the wedge is compressed negates a lot of that, also since each person has a different body type the wedge itself may be placed in a different location than recommended. Though this is not preferred it may be the only way for some to get proper comfort while aiding in concealment.

In my experience a compressed wedge is best placed just before the muzzle of whatever pistol you decide to carry. This is because, in my opinion and as I stated in the article, that the wedge's least compressible part to be placed in the best possible position of pushing the muzzle away. Leaving the wedge before the muzzle is the best possible application of a wedge for AIWB carry. As I stated in the article, too far forward you are not using the wedge to its best ability and proper function (compressing it incorrectly).

The wedge is a one size fits most type of item, there are some which the wedge will simply not work well for.
    VDMSR.com

That's a great article on a topic rarely addressed. What would you say for subcompacts like a vp9sk or mp9c, small or large wedge?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chingy98 View Post
    That's a great article on a topic rarely addressed. What would you say for subcompacts like a vp9sk or mp9c, small or large wedge?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Thanks for reading!

I would say it definitely depends on your particular body shape and exact position of carry. This usually means that if you think you need a small wedge chances are you probably do.
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List