Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything I shouldn't miss in Charlotte, NC?

Anything I shouldn't miss in Charlotte, NC?

In town for some work-related training, Friday afternoon through Monday morning. My days will be 8a-4p, so I have some late afternoon/evening time. Any suggestions for great places to eat, things to do, etc.?

Thanks!

A friend owns 204 North and it's rather delicious. Cocktails were on point and the bartender when I was there was legit. I've not made it down this year, but look to in the next few weeks.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Never found anything I felt like I’d have been cheated if I hadn’t seen it while I was in town during a month of work training, but I did visit the NASCAR HoF, drive a really fast car around the race track a couple of times, thought the Raptor place was pretty cool, and the local BassPro/Concord Mills Mall kept me from losing my mind. Morton’s is Morton’s, but if a handful of $20’s is more your speed than a handful of $100’s, Wife flew in for a weekend, and we enjoyed one of the finest steak meals ever consumed by us at any price at a place called Firebirds, and an exceptionally fine meal at <$150 out the door.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    A friend owns 204 North and it's rather delicious. Cocktails were on point and the bartender when I was there was legit. I've not made it down this year, but look to in the next few weeks.
    Thanks! I'll definitely hit that place up. I'll let them know you sent me--I'll be a pretty big deal.

Site Supporter
    Anytime my wife and I are in Charlotte we go to Amelie's. One is open 24 hours.
    Last edited by Blades; 11-15-2019 at 11:07 PM.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    There are a bunch of microbreweries and trendy restaurants in the part of Charlotte called the South End, which is one of the main millennial/hipster centers of gravity. You could easily just walk from place to place to get your brewery crawl on, if that appeals to you. If you are staying Uptown (what the locals civic leaders rebranded the downtown area some years ago), the South End is easily accessible by light rail, so no need to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Wife flew in for a weekend, and we enjoyed one of the finest steak meals ever consumed by us at any price at a place called Firebirds, and an exceptionally fine meal at <$150 out the door.
    If that Firebirds is the same chain as Firebirds here in NoVa, it's definitely good to go. I haven't had a bad meal there yet. I've eaten at Morton's. While it is good, it's not several times better than Firebirds.

Chris

I grew up near there. If you like fried chicken or soul food, try Price's Chicken Coop. http://www.priceschickencoop.com/

I will never forget the first time I went there. 30+ years ago, so no GPS, I stopped and asked a guy walking down the street for directions. They ended with 'take the second left turn and open your window - you can smell it.'
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I am very partial to the NC BBQ style. This is a vinegar based sauce and not sweet or tomato.
    Its hard to find this style anywhere but in parts of NC and specialty restaurants. I suggest
    you search out a place and try some, especially if you have not had it before.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    I am very partial to the NC BBQ style. This is a vinegar based sauce and not sweet or tomato.
    Its hard to find this style anywhere but in parts of NC and specialty restaurants. I suggest
    you search out a place and try some, especially if you have not had it before.
    NC actually has both "Eastern" (vinegar based) and "Western" (what most folks think of as BBQ sauce). My local BBQ joint offers both which is good since I prefer eastern and the missus prefers western.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List