Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monterey Park, CA OIS incident captured on video by idiotic bystanders

Monterey Park, CA OIS incident captured on video by idiotic bystanders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY5ioBvrYIg

10 rounds fired to stop the criminal--seems like a good reason to consider carrying a duty pistol with a large magazine capacity--also a great illustration of why it is best to grab a long gun WHENEVER there is the potential for a violent encounter. Also demonstrates why folks might want to practice shooting one handed...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY5ioBvrYIg

10 rounds fired to stop the criminal--seems like a good reason to consider carrying a duty pistol with a large magazine capacity--also a great illustration of why it is best to grab a long gun WHENEVER there is the potential for a violent encounter. Also demonstrates why folks might want to practice shooting one handed...
    Agreed, especially on the last two points.

Sigh. Complete with the requisite "he didn't need to shoot him that many times" commentary, both in the video and in the YouTube comments.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    Sigh. Complete with the requisite "he didn't need to shoot him that many times" commentary, both in the video and in the YouTube comments.
    Hard to imagine what folks who would say that think they'd do in the same situation.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post

J.Ja
    Reading the comments got my blood pressure up too.

Quote Originally Posted by derekb View Post
    Hard to imagine what folks who would say that think they'd do in the same situation.
    Sarcasm mode: activated.

I *know* what I'd do. I'd shoot the pipe bender out of his hand... not "shoot the hand", just shoot the tool itself to make it go flying, and once he realized my pistol prowess he'd immediately surrender. While shooting one-handing while holding back a dog. If that failed to do the trick, I'd shoot him in the leg. But only in a really fleshy part of the leg, not like the knee cap or anything that would cause permanent damage. And definitely not near any arteries either. That always works. Hopefully, Doc can provide me with some ballistics data showing what the most humane load is that will convince an attacker to cease their attack, without actually causing permanent harm or emotional trauma, let alone death.

Anyone who would react any differently is simply a bloodthirsty animal.

Sarcasm mode: deactivated.

J.Ja

From what I saw at about :42 in the video he takes a grip with both hands, winds up and appears to start his swing at the officer. The K9 officer took the appropriate action to protect a fellow citizen and police officer from being seriously injured or killed. Good shoot and good looking Mal. Only negative I can think of is 1 wild round that broke a sign and landed on a lady, not seriously injured though.

Article here: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=8515794

Something to note in the news article IRISH linked to, the suspect did not even die on the spot, he died much later. So while 9 rounds certainly stopped the attacker, it was not an "instant kill", which reinforces your point about weapon choice and capacity.

J.Ja

The suspect was still on his feet holding the weapon after the first 5 rounds were fired; the second officer then fired an additional 5 rounds to end the conflict. At least one round missed.

I am utterly astounded by the many comments made by the public in regards to this OIS incident. The suspect chose to initiate the conflict by violently vandalizing the restaurant and terrifying patrons and employees such that they felt compelled to flee for safety and request police intervention. Upon arrival of LE, the suspect willfully failed to obey repeated commands issued by officers, was NOT incapacitated by a Taser hit, then attempted to assault an officer using a deadly weapon, was shot by one officer, yet still did not drop his weapon, thus was shot again by another officer. The evidence justifying the officers actions is unequivocal and clear on the video, yet many members of the public fail to see the truth...

I am utterly astounded by the many comments made by the public in regards to this OIS incident... The evidence justifying the officers actions is unequivocal and clear on the video, yet many members of the public fail to see the truth...
    The vast majority of the population are feeble minded simpletons bordering on mild retardation at best. They also think everything should happen the way it does in the movies and somehow the officer should've magically shot the crowbar out of the bullet sponge's hand and then he should've been ushered into the closest psychiatrist's office for help dealing with his childhood issues that tragically led to this encounter.

As for me, there is zero doubt in my mind that the officers did the right thing.

User Tag List