Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended Thumb Safety S&W Shield 2.0

Is the concern about thumb to slide contact? If so I don't think that is an issue if one shoots high thumbs there is slide contact.

is there an ambi-option?

S&W has a great safety on the mp 22 compact. I remember when I first got the compact thinking a slim 9 the same size would be gas.

I’m not “for sure” in for one since I don’t own a Shield, so I’m hesitant to even comment - take my opinion for whatever you think it’s worth. That said, this option existing is pretty much THE reason I’d consider a Shield at all.

I’d agree with moving the shelf up so it resembles a 1911 safety. Where it is now looks like a 1911 shooter is going to end up with safety shelf well under their support hand. I think mimicking the angle, both in safe and fire positions, of a 1911 safety is a good bet. Not everyone who’s looking for a manual safety on a pistol also shoots 1911s, but a lot of us do. And a lot of manual safety fans consider the. 1911 safety to be the gold standard for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Is the concern about thumb to slide contact? If so I don't think that is an issue if one shoots high thumbs there is slide contact.

is there an ambi-option?

S&W has a great safety on the mp 22 compact. I remember when I first got the compact thinking a slim 9 the same size would be gas.
    We have not looked at the ambi option so I cant comment on it.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I’m not “for sure” in for one since I don’t own a Shield, so I’m hesitant to even comment - take my opinion for whatever you think it’s worth. That said, this option existing is pretty much THE reason I’d consider a Shield at all.

I’d agree with moving the shelf up so it resembles a 1911 safety. Where it is now looks like a 1911 shooter is going to end up with safety shelf well under their support hand. I think mimicking the angle, both in safe and fire positions, of a 1911 safety is a good bet. Not everyone who’s looking for a manual safety on a pistol also shoots 1911s, but a lot of us do. And a lot of manual safety fans consider the. 1911 safety to be the gold standard for one.
    Thank you for your input.

It looks like the 1911 Gunsite low safety. That thing is popular with whoever picks it up.
    Ignore Alien Orders

This is excellent.

I just picked up a second P365 safety to try and enlarge with a touch of JB Weld as a temporary fix until something quality, like this design, is available.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    It looks like the 1911 Gunsite low safety. That thing is popular with whoever picks it up.
    Thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    This is excellent.

I just picked up a second P365 safety to try and enlarge with a touch of JB Weld as a temporary fix until something quality, like this design, is available.
    Ive been asked to look at that. There are complications to that part that currently cant be overcome. And honestly the main effort is to get the Shield safety done so theres no time to look at it seriously. My buddy has a 4 axis cnc machining center but I think it would at the least have to be a machine with more capability but again it hasnt been explored at this point.

Site Supporter
    Whatever the case this looks like a major improvement over the factory option. S&W makes good stuff and with just 2% more thought/effort/detail they could make great stuff.

Thanks to your friend and you for even trying this.

How easy is it to take off and put back on?

My suggestion:

Remove the rear ledge. That's a snag point. Round off the rear of the safety and make the rear flush with the extension that goes into the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    This is excellent.

We had a talk about the 365. We hit on a possible solution and will explore that after the shield TS.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Whatever the case this looks like a major improvement over the factory option. S&W makes good stuff and with just 2% more thought/effort/detail they could make great stuff.

Thanks to your friend and you for even trying this.

How easy is it to take off and put back on?
    Easy peasy. The whole safety gets switched out takes just a few min. Probably have to put a disclaimer the recommendation is to have a Certified Armorer install the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    My suggestion:

Remove the rear ledge. That's a snag point. Round off the rear of the safety and make the rear flush with the extension that goes into the frame.
    Your suggestions have been already been incorporated into the design. It looks a whole lot like a 1911 safety now.

So the last two issues are I cant post a poll for some reason and I need an idea of numbers. Ive emailed @LittleLebowski about the issue. Im not sure if its on my end or a forum issue.

The last issue is coating. We havent identified the best coating. It needs to be a coating that is not high heat but is durable. Not having dealt with coatings in the past Im a bit surprised at the cost and minimum fee charges.

User Tag List