Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Reasons to Shoot IDPA, from Handguns 2010

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Let's not veer too far into the realm of negativity.
    Too late. The thread has indeed devolved. I expect fisticuffs to break out shortly over all the remarkably witty, snarky, passive/aggressive insults. ;-)
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Yep, the shooting sports are a lot worse now. I mean, we let people with no combat experience in, we even let (gasp) girls play! I mean, I really wish it was the good old days, when there were maybe five action clubs in the whole country, populated by grizzled warriors. Now everything sucks, what with 3-Gun, IDPA, USPSA, Bianchi Cup - there are so many options for new shooters and experienced competitors now that everything is terrible. It's even worse though because we've been at war for over a decade, and yet somehow there's a complete drought of experienced warriors offering training to the public!

WOE IS US.
    Sigh.

Thank you for reminding me why I shouldn't get into discussions with "SMEs".

You COMPLETELY mis-construed my point.

I don't know nothing, but I did hear a couple of times that a 'D' hit on a static target is an errant round on something that jiggles.

The idea that the lung hit is useful because it causes the target to pause so that you can place better hits is irrelevant to this discussion. Since we are discussing accuracy in IDPA as a function of score, we are presuming that the shooter took his -0/-3 and moved on.

If I found myself considering a hit 23" from my intended point of aim an acceptable result of pulling the trigger on a firearm, I would review my priorities.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Sigh.

Thank you for reminding me why I shouldn't get into discussions with "SMEs".

You COMPLETELY mis-construed my point.

I'm not an SME in anything other than being a short jerk.

So what was your point, if not that "everything was better in the old days?"

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

So what was your point, if not that "everything was better in the old days?"
    My point was, everything was more fun NOT because things were " better"; it was because there were hardly any rules.

I understand the need for more rules in today's litigious society. I also believe that many of the current rules are in place to prevent gamers from taking unfair advantage.

Except now it is ridiculous anyway as people still have competition only equipment.

We have a kittening thread about what vest... No one wears vests yet if one wants to be competitive I'll need to buy one, and not just any old vest, I might as well get the fastest one out there.

Don't tell me about gamers...
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I'm new to the shooting 'game', but I have to wonder about the 'philosophy' behind the 'game makers'.

1. Shooting guns is more American than apple pie.
    2. Shooting guns is about freedom and the ability to protect oneself, one's property and one's loved ones.
    3. Shooting guns is historically about freedom of tyranny and picayune rules lawyers micromanaging everyone's lives.

So I ask all of you who know 'the game', did the liberals somehow infest this area in order to take the fun out of shooting? This way it'll make us less resistant to them taking the guns away in the long run?

Yes, I'm mixing a bit of hyperbole with a larger helping of sarcasm, but why aren't the rules solely about safety and concealment? Once it's more about safety/concealment, wouldn't some race rigs kind of fall off by the way side? Perhaps the question shouldn't be what size 'box' your gun fits in, but rather does your gun fit on you? Sure, the big guys can carry concealed howitzers, but then they'll just be slower on the reloads
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I'm new to the shooting 'game', but I have to wonder about the 'philosophy' behind the 'game makers'.

1. Shooting guns is more American than apple pie.
    2. Shooting guns is about freedom and the ability to protect oneself, one's property and one's loved ones.
    3. Shooting guns is historically about freedom of tyranny and picayune rules lawyers micromanaging everyone's lives.

So I ask all of you who know 'the game', did the liberals somehow infest this area in order to take the fun out of shooting? This way it'll make us less resistant to them taking the guns away in the long run?

Yes, I'm mixing a bit of hyperbole with a larger helping of sarcasm, but why aren't the rules solely about safety and concealment? Once it's more about safety/concealment, wouldn't some race rigs kind of fall off by the way side? Perhaps the question shouldn't be what size 'box' your gun fits in, but rather does your gun fit on you? Sure, the big guys can carry concealed howitzers, but then they'll just be slower on the reloads
    BaiHu, the rules are theoretically there to level the playing field. The games aren't as bad folks say; just show up and shoot.
    #RESIST

I haven't had a bad time, but I agree with Sean and others that it is a long time for about 5 minutes of shooting (7 hours total). I'll continue to poke around and get what I can out of it, when I can, but I'll still personally wonder.

ETA: I liked that you used theoretically.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

The thing about the rules and the good ole days is pretty simple. If you make something a game, then people want to win. Most rules are a reaction to someone doing something that gave them a competitive advantage, therefore, as a game evolves the rules are going to evolve along with it. IDPA, Production, and Single Stack are pretty rule-heavy in an attempt to bring things back to the good ole days - thing is, certain things have evolved and you can't put toothpaste back in the tube.

I personally have zero problems with people who like to win, in fact I really question people who claim to not want to win.

User Tag List