Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Surprising 9mm Reloading Cost Calculations

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Anyone who recommends to you to start on a single stage when you are only loading pistol ammo must not like you very much. I started on a single stage loading 9mm and 45. I would not recommend anyone doing the same.

A 550 is an excellent way to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Personally, I would not give up my time on a single stage for anything. I think it really helps you to learn the process. As another posted, ideally they newb would learn on a borrowed single stage vs buying one but initial time spent with a single stage is time well spent.

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by H&KFanNC View Post
    Personally, I would not give up my time on a single stage for anything. I think it really helps you to learn the process. As another posted, ideally they newb would learn on a borrowed single stage vs buying one but initial time spent with a single stage is time well spent.

Yes, I hear this but you can run one piece of brass at a time through a progressive press, or even insert/remoe a piece of brass from any stage. So it's not like you can't break the process down step by step.

No reason to not start with a 550, but if you start with a single stage you will probably not regret having it around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I hear what you are saying but you are talking about making a complicated piece of machinery, simple. Looking back, it seems easy to do. For a newby, start simple.

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by H&KFanNC View Post
    I hear what you are saying but you are talking about making a complicated piece of machinery, simple. Looking back, it seems easy to do. For a newby, start simple.

My thoughts about the 550 is that the way the primer feed works, it is simple to start out processing one case at a time, not much more complex than a single stage.

But I am also an advocate of getting a single stage, because you can load your first 500-1000 rounds on it and keep it around.

But all of this is also dependant on the mechanical aptitude of the user.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I started loading on a 550 way back in the day. Went to a 650 and loaded for a lot of different calibers. These days I'm averaging 17-20k rounds fired a year. I get most of my rifle ammo from work so I really just load pistol. 40 and 9mm competition loads. So my main motivation has been large volume of ammo that gauges correctly. Secrets I've learned from the years of loading:

1. Buy in bulk. Real bulk, like 10k+ at a time. I usually always buy bullets in this number. Just got in an order for 20k 40's and 30k 9mm's. Go in on a group buy with buddies and you can really get the price down, even for premium bullets. I shoot JHP zeros and pay about what I would for coated. Primers usually no less than 25k+. Only time I've ever bought brass was loading ammo for Nationals.
    2. Set up your loading for volume. 1050 is the bees knees, especially when loaded up with the bullet feeder, case feeder ... and now I have the Mark VII. I load about 1500 rounds in an hour. The primer filler is a must as well.
    3. Case prep is everything. I wet tumble and that eliminates a lot of crap in the press. Try and sort out bad brass, especially glocked brass in 40. I have a friend with a roll sizer and that thing has been gold. Lube the living hell out of your brass prior to loading.
    4. Shockbottle hundo is top notch. I have my daughter help me fill it up when I'm done loading and then I transfer it to boxes, and date/label them.
    5. Have good records and labeling. If i'm loading thousands of rounds a week and there's an error in a batch, you want to have that batch as small as you can so you don't have to go pulling massive quantities of ammo. I always try to shoot my oldest loaded stuff first as well.
    6. When loading, every 1k rounds or so check your ammo to make sure it's in spec. Powder load, OAL, primer depth, etc. I had been forgetting to check my powder load and it had walked about .4 grains. Not dangerous, but out of the power factor I wanted.
    7. Trade brass. I get 556 and 40 brass falling out of my ears. When I needed 9mm I put up a post to trade 'home depot orange bucket full of 556 for your bucket full of 9'. Had some idiots try to play the price game with me. Don't care, give me bucket. Finally found the right guy and everyone was happy.

If you load lots of calibers, go for the 650. If you load one or two and want to turn out large numbers, go 1050. I am cresting over 50k loaded on my 1050 and it's been outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by cooterbaldwin View Post
    I love this place! Tons of great information in this thread.

I'm considering getting setup to reload for the first time. For the foreseeable future I'd be reloading 9mm only. Many a time I've read the "start on a single stage" advice. If I go single stage I'd likely go with a Forster Co-ax. The co-ax has quick and easy die changes, should last a lifetime and would be perfect for loading bolt gun ammo (mainly 223). I've also read that the 550 makes a good first press because you can operate it as a single stage. I've even read some posts or blog entries stating that starting off on a 650 is doable so long as you take your time and pay attention.

Regardless of press I'm planning on using pick-up brass. I've already been collecting my once-fired factory brass in anticipation of reloading someday. For brass prep the plan was de-priming and then wet tumble (although some of the brass sources listed in this thread have me rethinking that approach).

As I said, for now I'd be reloading 9mm only and shooting around 1k rounds per month. Any comments or recommendations?
    1k rounds a month? No way in hell that I would consider a single stage for that. I'd at least go with a 550 for speed. I learned on a 550, it's not hard.
    #RESIST

I bought a SDB back in September of this year after moving with my girl. Before that I had reloaded on a Lee single stage and averaged 1000 9mm a month. I was being stubborn and cheap with equipment hence why it took me so long to upgrade. Don't know what the hell I was thinking. I kept telling myself I needed more space for a progressive, but now I know that was nonsense. I only load 9mm and have no need to experiment with my load. I use berrys 115rn, titegroup, whatever primers I can get cheapest, and any assorted brass I find at the range. Normally a box of 50 runs me $6.75, but honestly as long as it's below $7 I'm happy.

Site Supporter
    My broken record - 9mm only and 1000 per month = Dillon Square Deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    My broken record - 9mm only and 1000 per month = Dillon Square Deal.
    How long does it take you to load that? Some people don't want to waste that time loading and would rather be shooting. Especially when you have two jobs, kids, and a wife to keep happy. On my rig I can load and box that up in an hour. How much is your time worth?

User Tag List