Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to smash open a car window?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ffchewy17 View Post
    I was first rescue diver in the water for a vehicle in a retention pond ( retention ponds are everywhere in Florida and they are deep, from 15-60 ft with a sharp drop off feet from the shoreline) after locating and clearing the vehicle we found a framing hammer in the deceased hands. This was a contractors truck, so the victim was use to swinging a hammer. I just put this out there for most people that have the idea that they can swing a hammer in the confined space of a truck, from my experience it's not very likely. That's why I'm a big proponent of the spring loaded window breaker.
    That's incredibly persuasive. Thanks for posting.

If your going to carry a ResQme or window punch I would advise to have two of them. One on your key ring and one attached to the steering colum or within arm reach of the dash. If your in an accident or car in the water the ignition locks up and your keys become stuck in the steering colum. This limits access to your rescue tools.

I was first rescue diver in the water for a vehicle in a retention pond ( retention ponds are everywhere in Florida and they are deep, from 15-60 ft with a sharp drop off feet from the shoreline) after locating and clearing the vehicle we found a framing hammer in the deceased hands. This was a contractors truck, so the victim was use to swinging a hammer. I just put this out there for most people that have the idea that they can swing a hammer in the confined space of a truck, from my experience it's not very likely. That's why I'm a big proponent of the spring loaded window breaker.

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too "preachy ".
    That is a sobering story.

In completing my rescue diver cert on the way to becoming a PADI Divemaster, I don't ever recall this coming up. I took the course maybe 15 years ago, though, perhaps the curriculum has changed. Then again, maybe the FD does not really want civilian rescuers dealing with non-diving related emergencies (out of air, lost weight belt, emergency ascents, etc.) like extricating from a car.

Still, it is stuff worth thinking about.

If your going to carry a ResQme or window punch I would advise to have two of them. One on your key ring and one attached to the steering colum or within arm reach of the dash. If your in an accident or car in the water the ignition locks up and your keys become stuck in the steering colum. This limits access to your rescue tools.
    Hold up...
    The ReQme is quick detachable from the key-ring. Basically there is three parts, the key-ring, the key-ring hole / QD clip, and the ResQme tool. A firm tug on the tool and it will pop off from the key-ring hole / QD clip, leave that part still attached to the key ring.

Here's a picture:

I do agree with your placement comment. A friend of mine has his zip-tied through the key-ring to the center console shifter, so both the driver and passenger can get at it easily. And I followed suit.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The point on the back of a Tomahawk at the corner of the window should work much better than a hammer.
    Only if you manage to hit it. Plenty of firefighters have looked like idiots swinging a halligan, and end up making a nice big gash in the door or frame, rather than hitting the window.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Only if you manage to hit it. Plenty of firefighters have looked like idiots swinging a halligan, and end up making a nice big gash in the door or frame, rather than hitting the window.
    Having used a halligan on residential doors, a Tomahawk is easier to use accurately. Plus I keep it in my work car for getting into other people's cars. And because reasons...

Site Supporter
    Dropkivk you are 100% correct on the ResQMe being removable from the key ring. I should have been more clear in my statement, I was recommending two devices just for ease of access. For example my wife's car uses a key fob to start, so she keeps her house keys separate from her car fob. It just so happens that her house keys have the ResQme tool on it and those are usually in the center console. So on the only ResQme she has access to is on the steering console.

Mr Jenkins.... We dive in dry suits all the time due to the nasty water in Florida. Surprisingly the majority of the water in Florida is pretty murky and dirty. we run into a lot of random stuff in the water like shopping carts, pallets, construction debris and Aligators.

Dropkivk you are 100% correct on the ResQMe being removable from the key ring. I should have been more clear in my statement, I was recommending two devices just for ease of access. For example my wife's car uses a key fob to start, so she keeps her house keys separate from her car fob. It just so happens that her house keys have the ResQme tool on it and those are usually in the center console. So on the only ResQme she has access to is on the steering console.

Mr Jenkins.... We dive in dry suits all the time due to the nasty water in Florida. Surprisingly the majority of the water in Florida is pretty murky and dirty. we run into a lot of random stuff in the water like shopping carts, pallets, construction debris and Aligators.
    Gotcha. I currently live in Tampa; but I took a dry suit course (2 dives) in Haymarket Quarry in Virginia when I lived there. If I recall from my log book, temp at 90 feet was 44F at the spring outlet which fed the Quarry. Damn that was cold.

I feel for you having to go do what you have to do down here in the heat and the 'stuff' in the water.

Thanks for what you do. You guys rock.

I assume that those Rescue thingies are not a single use items? Ive read some reports about failure to function and I'd want to test it before placing it in my cars.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I can attest to the ResQme working really well, especially underwater. At work all of our rescue diver BC's have them attached. The automatic center punches work great too, we use them constantly for child locked in vehicle calls and extrications. The biggest issue with the center punches are that they become dull over time and must be resharpened pretty often. My FD gets a ton of vehicles in the water calls and the ResQme has been used in a lot of saves.

I would recommend not using a hammer, ASP, or the butt of your pistol while holding the barrel and swinging it at the window �� we do have access to the BP cuff/ slim Jim route and some of our guys are faster with those than you would believe. These kinda calls are extremely common in Central Florida during the summer, like 3-4 a day for one truck company.
    The tale about the guy in the water with a hammer in his hand was sad. It hadnt thought about trying to use a hammer from inside. I think my first thought if in water or inside a vehicle on fire would be to shoot the side glass out.

Site Supporter
    3 resqme thingies en route via amazon prime. I should have them tomorrow by COB.

User Tag List