Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Trigger Options 2019 (Maybe It Will Fix My Left-Shooting)

Glock Trigger Options 2019 (Maybe It Will Fix My Left-Shooting)

I've read through several threads on here and elsewhere about glocks shooting left. I never noticed it before, because it doesn't show up at range range. I can shoot dead center at 3 to 5 yards. And in the past, I lacked the skill to notice at distance because my groups were so large at 15 to 25 yards that it wasn't noticable.

Now that I've improved my skills, I am noticing that I can get 4" groups at 25 yards that are 10" left of the target.

Maybe it's the mechanical issue of the gun. Maybe It's the way I'm gripping the gun. Maybe it's the way I'm manipulating the trigger. Maybe it's all three. I've been working quite a bit on altering grip and trigger finger placement to no avail.

What I'd like to try is upgrading my triggers. Maybe shooting left won't be impacted by putting in nicer triggers, but regardless, I should probably consider nicer triggers. I've heard good things about Overwatch Precision and a couple others.

What I'm using now is the factory glock trigger with a NY1 trigger spring and a minus disconnect. Around 20 years ago, this is what I was told was the best trigger at the time. It was supposed to give a combined total weight of about 6 pounds (combining the 8 pounds trigger spring with the 3.5 pounds disconnect), which was the same as the factory 5.5 pound trigger but it was supposed to be less "mooshy".

I've heard people say this is stupid. Maybe it is. 20 years ago the internet was new and also there was less options for aftermarket stuff. Also, Massad Ayoob scared me into not messing with the trigger. Lately, I'm hesitant to mess with the trigger because I carry AIWB and I've heard that aftermarket triggers that reduce pretravel of the trigger may result in negating some of the safeties in the gun, which is bad for AIWB. I don't want to get into an ECQC type situation where I am kneed/kicked on my holster, or maybe just fall hard on the ground on the holster, or slammed into a car, and the holstered gun discharges because the gun isn't "drop safe" anymore due to the new trigger.

Those were my reasons in the past. I'm open to change. Should I buy an overwatch precision or other trigger? Does it include everything such as a trigger spring and disconnect or do I use the factory ones, and if so, which should I use?

I have three glocks, all of them *I* shoot left. One of them I moved the rear sight about 80% to the right and it "only" shoots about 5" left at 25 yards. I could put it all the way to the right but I feel like it's probably me at that point. The trigger may or may not help, but I think I've hit the point in skill (being about upper-beginner to intermediate-level) where I may notice improvement in shooting with a better trigger.
    Last edited by powell556; 04-30-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Overwatch Precision and Apex are two brands that don't mess with the geometry of the bar nor safety features. They're simply an enhanced shoe with the Overwatch offering NP3 coating. They're worth a shot, try the Overwatch Poly DAT https://overwatchprecision.com/polymer-dat/ due to the lower price point. You can still use your old connector and springs with these triggers.

T.R. Graham recommends in the video 'GUnsmithing Glock' or something along those lines... recommended moving the sights to compensate for this. He said it only appeared with right handed shooters for some reason, but a very slight bump to the right (I believe) should fix it to where you are hitting perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Overwatch Precision and Apex are two brands that don't mess with the geometry of the bar nor safety features. They're simply an enhanced shoe with the Overwatch offering NP3 coating. They're worth a shot, try the Overwatch Poly DAT https://overwatchprecision.com/polymer-dat/ due to the lower price point. You can still use your old connector and springs with these triggers.
    Does it work with a Gen 5 striker control device? I noticed TAU doesn't make a reduced pre-travel model for the Gen5.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

As a huge fan of overwatch triggers, start here before you spend money.

P-F has some good posts by a member named "surf" you can search for, however the below segment pretty easy to get.
    (If the time stamp did not work, jump to 3:37)

With that out of the way I have found the TAC/DAT triggers to help in feeling a straight trigger press. If I can feel on corner of the shoe instead of both or neither than I will shank that shot.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 04-30-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Borrow or rent a gun with a red dot, and I imagine you will be able to diagnose and correct the problem.

The NY1/minus connector was a great alternative setup for Gen 1 - Gen 3 Glocks; Gen5 and Gen5, not so much, especially with the current triggerbars that come with the Gen4/5 Glocks. I haven't personally experimented, but anecdotally installing a Gen 3 triggerbar (presumably the later one, with the increased vertical extension and dogleg ramp for the trigger spring attachment point) can provide an improved triggerpull. When going the minus connector/NY1 route with a Gen4, it provides a mushy feel, so it's not recommended. I believe that there's one Canadian LEO that reauested and was provided with Gen5s with a NY1 setup, but as of my last Armorer Class update, in Sept 2018 they were the only organization pursuing that route. Organizational NY1 use tends to be geographic in the US-very few, if any on the West Coast, a smattering in the Midwest/Center, and more (but still not a huge number) on the New England/ East Coast/South etc.

Frankly, I'm pretty satisfied with the triggerpull on my one Gen4, a G22, as it came out of the box, albeit after lubricating the triggerbar/connector interfacing surfaces with a dab of Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 grease; it has a very nice rolling break. Te Gen5s that I've been exposed to have the best out-of-the-box triggers that I've felt in Glocks, so if/when I get a Gen5, I'll likely lubricate and otherwise leave alone.

If you're a gun sports gamer trying to wring every possible iota of performance out of a Gen4 , I can see potentially some incremental benefits to dinking around with it and/or switching components, either OEM or aftermarket (but generally, I'm VERY wary of aftermarket components other than sights and grip plugs on any of my Glocks used for defense or duty-I just don't go that route).

The "shooting to the left" issue was a real issue, and I never really got a definitive answer as to what caused it; reportedly it was more likely to crop up in a Gen4 G22 than in other Glocks. I definitely experienced it, and my solution was to drift the rear sight to the right, almost to the edge of the slide sight channel. That worked; it may rankly someone's OCD as a solution, but for me it was an acceptable one.

I could likely be very pleased with an out-of-the box Gen5, particularly with the order-able metal sight options as OEM; probably the only change I'd make would be to go with a Glock extended slide stop/release, but that's a personal preference, not an absolute operational necessity.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-30-2019 at 05:15 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I installed Meprolights on my G3 G34, measured to be centered within ~0.001" in the slide. Shot right where I meant it to. I liked the NY1/- a heck of a lot better than when I put it back to the way it came before selling it.

The only Glocks I've messed with that had aftermarket stuff in them were SoCal friends' guns. Overall, they weren't for me, but they may have been overdone. And I'm a DAO dork, so that may have been a factor.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have Zero use for any Glock with a NY1 trigger. Having worked on many dozens of Glocks I have seen a total of 2 with a NY1 trigger.
    Last edited by JBP55; 04-30-2019 at 05:55 PM.

I have an early G19.5 for USPSA and a G26.5 for EDC.

I have an Overwatch Precision Trigger and a 5.0 lb striker spring. I can put typically 9 of 10 rounds centered on a B8 repair center at 25 yards with scores in the 80s using 147 HST or AE9DP 115 using iron sights at stock heights.

The Overwatch trigger ‘feels’ more consistent to me. And though my numeric scores improved with the Overwatch, it is possible I’m just getting better.

I’m very happy with this set up for gaming.

For carry, I use my G26.5. It is bone stock.

User Tag List