Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Triggers Redux -- Archer Edition

We are diminished
    EVO Elite arrived today, as did the Apex striker blocks. Taran connectors and reduced power striker block springs are inbound. Also inbound are some marine spring cups which a trusted source is certain improves the trigger pull a bit because: less friction. He's now the second person I know who deals with Glocks professionally who was adamant about not using a lighter striker spring if I could at all help it... not based on guesswork but actual testing by government/military entities.

I think I've been convinced to try the higher power trigger spring especially as long as I keep the gen4 trigger bar in the gun to help alleviate engagement concerns.

My untimed marksmanship practice earlier today definitely proved that simply having a heavily worn in stock Glock trigger was not going to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    the second person I know who deals with Glocks professionally who was adamant about not using a lighter striker spring if I could at all help it... not based on guesswork but actual testing by government/military entities.
    Any further details on this?

Like you, I am loathe to do anything that would risk ignition reliability, but at the same time, if I prove to myself that it works 100% for my use, then I'll be ok with it.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

We are diminished
    This is the best I can offer given (a) I only know snippets based on what they've told me and (b) I can't go into some details even when I do know them.

As I've said before about other aftermarket accessories, some are tested for durability and reliability in fairly pristine conditions and others are subjected to more worst-case scenarios to make sure they'll work even when something else isn't great. Glock didn't choose the striker spring weight out of thin air and they're certainly aware that they could provide a lower trigger pull if they compromised on that.

I'm not saying that people should ignore their own experience, and in the end for all I know I may make the compromise myself when it comes to the striker spring. But I'll simply repeat what I said before, the ones who've seen dramatic "real world" test protocols seem to shy away from reduced striker spring weights for guns that their (or their teammates') lives may depend on.

As with anything, it comes down to how much you're willing to risk versus how much performance improvement does it provide. If someone told you his new holster could take 0.10 seconds off your draw but would lock up and prevent the gun from coming out once every ten thousand draws, what would you do?

Of course, in the case of the striker spring, the issue is not speed but accuracy.

I have been using a 5.0 striker spring in a half dozen Glock 9mm pistols without a single failure to fire over north of 5,000 rounds of various ammo, including Blazer brass and aluminum, PMC ball, and brands like Federal and Speer that I expect softer primers with. My wife has had excellent results using an even lighter 4.5 in her three game G34s. Using a minus connector and 5.0 striker speed, I went 100/100 on two inch dots at 7 yards with a Gen 4 17.

Reduced striker springs run a gamut of weights, and my choice of 5.0, according to math, is 91.9 percent of the stock OEM. I keep a stock 5.5 OEM in my kit, and in seconds, can switch it if desired.

Finally, if I was the hostage above, I would certainly wish the good guy had a 5.0 striker spring if he had a Glock.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have been using a 5.0 striker spring in a half dozen Glock 9mm pistols without a single failure to fire over north of 5,000 rounds of various ammo, including Blazer brass and aluminum, PMC ball, and brands like Federal and Speer that I expect softer primers with. My wife has had excellent results using an even lighter 4.5 in her three game G34s. Using a minus connector and 5.0 striker speed, I went 100/100 on two inch dots at 7 yards with a Gen 4 17.

Reduced striker springs run a gamut of weights, and my choice of 5.0, according to math, is 91.9 percent of the stock OEM. I keep a stock 5.5 OEM in my kit, and in seconds, can switch it if desired.

I put more than 52,000 rounds through my first Gen 4 G17 using a Vanek trigger and Jager striker trying both 4.5# and 5.0# springs and had zero issues with the pistol before someone else had to have it.
    I have used many 5.0# Wolff springs in Glocks with OEM strikers with zero issues. I believe in preventative maintenance and change the springs every 10,000 rounds. I do not use the 6.0# trigger springs in my Glocks. I only use factory ammunition from Federal, Speer, Winchester and Remington.

Not often I like to give up a good secret stash, but there are lots of good folks & good info here. For the guys (like me) who like the old style NY-1 w/o the coil spring, Numrich / Gun Parts Corp still has a slew of them. Make sure you order the right one as they stock both styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    If you remember the breakdown, was that with the 4.5, the 5.0, or both? I appreciate you sharing your info either way. Thank you.

I got through 500-600 rounds over the weekend without any failures. About two hundred were Gold Dots, most of the rest was Speer Lawman, and there was a little Federal HST and Champion, but not much of those.
    Gabe,

I'm gonna back off my previous regarding the striker springs. I dug up some notes and realized I was also testing a "semi-fit" match barrel in my G17 which seemed to contribute to the light primer strikes in-conjunction with the lighter striker springs. I dismissed them after that and haven't really given them much consideration since then. I'm going to get a few of the striker springs from ZEV TECH that Frank Proctor claims run reliably in his G-Locks and see how they do with my carry ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    EVO Elite arrived today, as did the Apex striker blocks. Taran connectors and reduced power striker block springs are inbound. Also inbound are some marine spring cups which a trusted source is certain improves the trigger pull a bit because: less friction. He's now the second person I know who deals with Glocks professionally who was adamant about not using a lighter striker spring if I could at all help it... not based on guesswork but actual testing by government/military entities.

I think I've been convinced to try the higher power trigger spring especially as long as I keep the gen4 trigger bar in the gun to help alleviate engagement concerns.

My untimed marksmanship practice earlier today definitely proved that simply having a heavily worn in stock Glock trigger was not going to cut it.
    Todd, who is going to do the cut on the EVO for you? I have one that I tried to get one genetleman to do and he could not get it to work. I have another that I want to try in one of my G19's but I am afraid to do it myself and I might just go with the the Ghost Edge. I like it in one of my Glock 23's so far.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    Todd, who is going to do the cut on the EVO for you?
    I'm actually handing it off to a friend to be my beta tester.

If it works well for him and I like the trigger feel, I'll get some more and let him fit them to my guns. Because: friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Not often I like to give up a good secret stash, but there are lots of good folks & good info here. For the guys (like me) who like the old style NY-1 w/o the coil spring, Numrich / Gun Parts Corp still has a slew of them. Make sure you order the right one as they stock both styles.
    Do they look the same just minus the coil spring? I've got an OD one with a coil spring and a black one without. Not sure how I came into possession of the black one.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List