Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 knuckle. How do I fix these sharp edges?

It has taken me a lot longer to develop callouses with the LTT then other guns.

I have thought about it and will probably take high grit sandpaper the the edges before I send it out for refinishing. I have just held out.

Or I may just send it to Wilson Combat and also have them do the slide modification so I can run the lo-pro sing or sided decocker and also dehorn and refinish.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yeah I have several Berettas and none of the older IT or MD guns have sharp edges. On the TN guns I've noticed them on both the trigger guard and the tang. For clarifications all the TN guns with such issues pre-date the COVID panic productions.
    Any recommendations on grits of Emory paper?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Well, there's a reason why the top of the line custom LTT Elite is the 'Carry Bevel' package...

My hands got pretty beat up shooting my Brigadier Tactical at one of Ernest's classes a few years ago (in those days when ammo was plentiful and you could shoot a few hundred rounds over two days without taking out a bank loan). He let me try his personal 92 - this was essentially the LTT Elite prototype that he built with a Vertec 92G slide on a M9A1 frame. He had given it a significant bevel job, and suggested sending my pistol into Wilson Combat for their bevel treatment (this was before he brought LTT back into the custom Beretta business). Wilson Combat did a great job and I can highly recommend their work.

That said, Ernest managed to get Beretta to smooth out most of the offending sharp edges on the 92 with his signature model, but even the Elite can have some hot spots. I've owned a pair of LTT Elites, including a Carry Bevel, and I think the Carry Bevel package makes a significant difference. Besides knocking off the sharp edges, he opens up the magwell, adds the NP3 coatings, and of course refinishes the gun. I'd consider sending the Elite back to him for the Carry Bevel package - it's more than just the bevel treatment.

The Langdon Tactical gunsmithing team begins every Carry Bevel pistol by hand stoning & polishing the hard edges and snag points on the 92 frame & slide, upgrading the internal magazine well bevel, and improving the trigger guard radius. We then include our NP3 Upgrade and Trigger Job, to dramatically improve corrosion resistance, life span, and lubricity of the action throughout the pistol, as well as user interface with the firing mechanism. Finally, the Carry Bevel is finished off with a full re-cerakoting of the slide and frame.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The real fix is a carry bevel job from LTT or Wilson. This is Beretta's fault, not LTT's. This was never an issue until Beretta's move to TN and is, IMHO a sign of declining quality.

If your going to do it yourself I would likely use a stone and emery paper vs a file. It doesn't take much to brekd the sharp edges.
    I broke the sharp edges on my Italian 92a1 with a 3M 320grit block from Lowe’s. My first 300 round day with it, the beaver tail tore open my thumb joint. And my middle finger knuckle was not happy, and neither was my index finger on the inside of the trigger guard. It is very pleasant to shoot and dry fire now.

I probably ought to get it refinished sometime.

I've had 3 92's over the years and a Taurus Pt-92 and never had any issues with callusses. Other guns, yes, but never a Beretta anything.

Well I did it. What a huge difference it seems to make already.

Now, do I need to refinish to prevent rust? Is there anything I can buy at a hardware store to apply. At this point aesthetics don’t matter. At some point I might get it cerakoted but for now I’m fine with a ghetto paint job.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

The frame is aluminum.

I believe they anodize it, before finishing it. Wondering about things like Durocoat, touch up pens, etc. (or even a tiny bit of car wax and not worry about finish)?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post

Now, do I need to refinish to prevent rust? Is there anything I can buy at a hardware store to apply. At this point aesthetics don’t matter. At some point I might get it cerakoted but for now I’m fine with a ghetto paint job.
    Bicrhwood Casey sells an aluminum touch up pen and Brownells sells a product called Aluma-hyde - both specifically for aluminum guns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemiram View Post
    I've had 3 92's over the years and a Taurus Pt-92 and never had any issues with callusses. Other guns, yes, but never a Beretta anything.
    IME it was never an issue with Berettas until the move to TN. Sharp edges on the tang and trigger guard are common on the TN made guns including the Wilson and LTT guns.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post

How did you go about rounding the edges over?

User Tag List