Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta is getting sporty

I understand that one could make an argument that use of a taser could result in incapacitation -> loss of weapon -> serious bodily harm. Does the argument change at all given there were two officers on scene?

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I understand that one could make an argument that use of a taser could result in incapacitation -> loss of weapon -> serious bodily harm. Does the argument change at all given there were two officers on scene?
    The suspect was able to gain control of a taser with two officers on scene, what’s stopping him from gaining control of a pistol?

The time I was in a fight over my pistol, it took three of us to get control of the guy.

It does add complexity, (additional moving parts), to the situation...but if you judge by their inability to control the individual during the first scrum, what would make anyone reasonably believe that if the decedent got to the fallen officer's firearm before his partner did, that he wouldn't use it to kill the second officer?

The decedent could have continued to run without making the decision to point the taser at the pursuing officer.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It does add complexity, (additional moving parts), to the situation...but if you judge by their inability to control the individual during the first scrum, what would make anyone reasonably believe that if the decedent got to the fallen officer's firearm before his partner did, that he wouldn't use it to kill the second officer?

The decedent could have continued to run without making the decision to point the taser at the pursuing officer.
    Now, if we could only explain that to the general public, in a way that they could understand.

No. From what I see this was 100% a justified use of force.

What nobody is talking about is that almost all these inicdents are preventable... by the subjects. Don’t commit crimes. If you choose to commit crimes and get caught, then don’t fight. Let the cops arrest you. It’s amazing to me that nobody wants to assign the blame where it belongs - with the criminal. They do not have a right to fight the police or use violence. Yet they seem to think that behavior is okay and when they lose the fight it’s “OMG the police!!“

Bottom line - this guy (who the media is calling a victim) would be alive if he had not fought them when they decided to place him under arrest.

Why haven't the protesters looted and burned Wendy's? They obviously had some part in this.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post

What nobody is talking about is that almost all these inicdents are preventable... by the subjects. Don’t commit crimes. If you choose to commit crimes and get caught, then don’t fight. Let the cops arrest you. It’s amazing to me that nobody wants to assign the blame where it belongs - with the criminal. They do not have a right to fight the police or use violence. Yet they seem to think that behavior is okay and when they lose the fight it’s “OMG the police!!“

Bottom line - this guy (who the media is calling a victim) would be alive if he had not fought them when they decided to place him under arrest.
    Public outcry be like: OMG! So now it's the victims fault!

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    One wonders how a drunk guy who was apparently asleep managed to get a Taser away from a police officer.
    And run away like a track star after it happened.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Now, if we could only explain that to the general public, in a way that they could understand.
    You can’t and it is simply a case of cops need to just not go or leave if they find out a suspect is a minority. At minimum, no white Officer should be dispatched. You simply wait till an officer of color is available. That is where we are. If a white cop is working a metropolitan area and not putting in applications for someplace far away, they are not doing their families any favors because the only acceptable interaction is when minority suspects kill white officers with police chiefs, mayors, politicians, and the community and the press will not cover it. That is not a world anyone wants to be a cop in with a concern for their safety and a concern for their family.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post

From a totally purely self interested point of view, in a hypothetical world where I felt like I was being arrested unjustly or somehow otherwise victimized by a police officer, the very last way I would try to assert myself would be with physical force. It is simply false to believe that physically confronting a cop in this scenario would help me in any way.

It would make substantially more sense to comply with the arrest and then try to get your revenge in court, where I might actually stand a chance of winning, and not in the street where, best case scenario, I get my ass kicked and have a far worse chance in court later on.

User Tag List