Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: George Floyd: Cultural Shifts After June 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I do wonder if it's less about having tons of proper clinically diagnoseable sociopaths, and more about a general narcissistic culture of self focused solipsist.
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Solipsism. It's what's you make of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Yo, don’t be throwing shade on our boy @mmc45414.
    Damn, I went and looked that up and I am still not certain that is a slam. I am pretty sure it is a slam, but more research may be required.

Personally, I've found that a smile, a wave, and a friendly general greeting have stood me in good stead over the years.
    Yeah, that has always been how I roll, and what I tried to imply. I have always been friendly and will continue to be friendly, but I am probably going to be less outgoing. The day after I posted I was in Lowes and needed a lumber cart, and when I started to take one a woman who had walked away said "Hey, that is my cart!", I apologized and joked about it. She said she had walked away to try and find help to load some boards she couldn't reach and my friend and I gladly helped her load the lumber (there is probably an Archer quote in there somewhere...). This was a racially mixed interaction in a racially mixed part of town and race was not a factor in a simple situation with shoppers helping shoppers. But the next day there was a young girl in the grocery wearing a shirt that (I am pretty sure) said "Fuck Off", I didn't try to be her friend.

But my normal tendency to always be exploring for a new place to eat and a new band to hear and new places to go where I might make new friends is probably going to be diminished. Maybe not, perhaps I will fall right back into my former ways, but not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    ...the Minneapolis city council president just said that she envisions a "police-free society", because calling the police when someone victimizes you is an example of privilege.
    I wonder how that will affect tourism. Not sure how much Minneapolis makes from that, but I would think in San Francisco it is significant. I know I would not go on vacation to a place with no police.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Skynet is Racist

“IBM firmly opposes and will not condone uses of any technology, including facial recognition technology offered by other vendors, for mass surveillance, racial profiling” and human rights violations.

IBM says it won't offer facial recognition, questions LE use

Apparently racism is so ingrained in the human psyche that we engineer it into AI.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    I wonder how that will affect tourism. Not sure how much Minneapolis makes from that, but I would think in San Francisco it is significant. I know I would not go on vacation to a place with no police.
    I say, sincerely, let the marketplace and federalism sort it out.

Honduras and Costa Rica both have beautiful beaches. So there must be other factors that explain why Costa Rica has a thriving tourism sector and Honduras doesn't.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I believe Canadian police are armed as well.
    Very much so, and increasingly with Colt Canada C8s, in fact (essentially an M4).
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Wasn’t sure where this might fit, but here’s what happens with the getting rid of the police shit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RHGR/stat...14875200245760

Site Supporter
    You get these guys as police.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...up-at-protests

Check out the numerical hat.

Hey, Seattle anarchist- remember how we have told you for years that your stupid little college philosophy of removing authority doesn't result in more freedom, but the rise of tyrants?
    Yeah, enjoy your new ruler... oh, you're not so mad at the cops now, are you?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Hey, Seattle anarchist- remember how we have told you for years that your stupid little college philosophy of removing authority doesn't result in more freedom, but the rise of tyrants?
    Yeah, enjoy your new ruler... oh, you're not so mad at the cops now, are you?
    Niven's "Cloak of Anarchy" and Heinlein's "Coventry" really need to be more widely read. I know I keep mentioning them over and over, but it doesn't stop being true.

Oh but old white doods.....
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Wasn’t sure where this might fit, but here’s what happens with the getting rid of the police shit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RHGR/stat...14875200245760
    Yeah, that's not going to end well.

User Tag List