Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General purpose .300 Blackout barrel length?

General purpose .300 Blackout barrel length?

Thinking about adding a Blackout upper to the pile of not-Blackout uppers and I’m sort of stuck between something 8.5” or 10.5”.

No plans to suppress, I no longer hunt, HD is a very low possibility (already handled by other choices but if that’s what’s next to me...), ammo will be whatever is cheapest until I start rolling my own with no idea if I’ll go with supers or subs primarily, main usage will be futzing around at the range.

I prefer the handling of a 10.5” upper but beyond that, am I significantly gaining or losing anything from the 2” difference?

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

One advantage of 300BO is it performs well in a very short upper, like this:
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...th-bcg-ch.html
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

It's a long video, but it will give you all the information you need. Take the data, and decide for yourself based on your personal needs and performance priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I find anything under 8" is problematic for my hand placement. I can make it work but it's not ideal by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    It's a long video, but it will give you all the information you need.
    Thanks, I'll check it out!

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I find anything under 8" is problematic for my hand placement. I can make it work but it's not ideal by any means.
    I may have to rethink my "nothing under 8" rule". I was fiddling with a 9mm upper I'm putting together and for giggles measured out 7" from the front of the receiver. I put a rubber band there as a "hand stop" and found it was easier to work with than I thought. I settled on the 8" minimum after I had to swap the factory front end back onto the Scorpion because the Micro-K was just too short for me and IIRC the factory front end was right around 7"-8".

$0.75+/rd (per Ammoseek) is making me question how dedicated I am to this idea though...

Cheap wolf ammo should be here soon at about $.20/rd.

Mine has an 8"barrel and a law folder. Fits into a backpack with a 30 round mag inserted.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshmill View Post
    Cheap wolf ammo should be here soon at about $.20/rd.

Mine has an 8"barrel and a law folder. Fits into a backpack with a 30 round mag inserted.
    I hope the Wolf ammo is more accurate than the Magtech FMJ were for me. >10moa makes it hard to get excited about shooting it.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I hope the Wolf ammo is more accurate than the Magtech FMJ were for me. >10moa makes it hard to get excited about shooting it.
    Nah, you just use cover and concealment to work closer to the objective...

The Magtech was very disappointing accuracy wise in my Ruger bolt gun. The Hornady 125 FMJ was much better and the 110 grain V Max even better.

Site Supporter
    I suspect that 300 BO is another reason to reload? I have not made the 300 BO plunge but multiple shooting friends have and they all reload.

User Tag List