Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: SAFETY ADVISORY: Winchester Ranger Bonded 9mm 147 grain (Q4364)

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    No. That is not what anyone is saying. Win had some labor issues resulting in poor QC at the Alton plant beginning on 2010. That is what has been stated. Some ammo from that plant, in that time period may have QC issues.
    Thank You Doc I was thinking thats was a lot of Ranger ammo without the Flash Hole!

As this is my first post here, let me say "Hi" to everyone; I've been reading here and found a great deal of valuable info. Re the issue with the Ranger ammo, I have a modest amount of the 9mm Bonded JHP (Q4364) and a good deal more of the RA9T. Can someone tell me how to decipher the date code, which I'm guessing is the series of letters and numbers stamped on the flap at one end of the box? The ammo I have has been purchased over the last 3-4 years, mostly at local gun shows. I appreciate the help.

Email Winchester LEO

go to the leo website

sorry I don't have Nowak email address at hand.

up date

PFNowak@Olin.com
    Last edited by Rich; 02-10-2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Email

Thank you. I'll check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    Thank you. I'll check that out.
    any update on the date codes?

Sorry about the necrothread revival, but I was able to pick up a few boxes of ranger bonded 147 gr cheap at a gun show last weekend. It has a date code of 09/13.

I read on another forum that the problem with this ammo was some bad primer crimps that left a half circle impression across the primer that was clearly visible. And that there was no problem with the ammo if it didn't show that mark on inspection.

Doc, or anybody really, do you know if this is true? Can I rely on this ammo for carry or is it range fodder?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    It does.

That one day back when though I could have literally been in a gun fight, had a squib in my primary, pulled my BUG and had another squib round. I am OCD as hell about checking QC on my ammo now.

You shot your primary and had a squib and then pulled your BUG and had another squib? OMG no wonder you carry 2 bugs!

I get question all the time as to why I carry a BUG especially since In not in LE .

I've had 1 squib in my life. Also while shooting a J frame M649 357magnum using the FBI load the bullet jump the case some and jammed up my revolver. (BTW that's not suppose to happen with heavy J frames)
    I also had brass under the extractor shooting FBI loads in my 4inch M13.

Quote Originally Posted by j.d.allen View Post
    Sorry about the necrothread revival, but I was able to pick up a few boxes of ranger bonded 147 gr cheap at a gun show last weekend. It has a date code of 09/13.

I read on another forum that the problem with this ammo was some bad primer crimps that left a half circle impression across the primer that was clearly visible. And that there was no problem with the ammo if it didn't show that mark on inspection.

Doc, or anybody really, do you know if this is true? Can I rely on this ammo for carry or is it range fodder?

Seems like the Q and Z get all the problems. One reason why I only buy the standard ranger ammo . Like RA9124TP and so on. So far I've been lucky.

Now I have had excellent luck with Q3131 since the 80`s even in 98-2000

This is the Q4364. I got it cheap so I don't mind shooting it up at the range. That's probably what I'll do anyway...

Hmm. I just checked and I have some Q4364 also... It would be good to figure out if this stuff is trustworthy or not.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List