Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 BO or BLK reloading

Site Supporter

300 BO or BLK reloading

Per the temptation of the PDW thread - I will make the 300BO move. I reload all my practice ammo - will use the 110 Barnes for serious work.

I have plenty of 300 BO brass that I collected over the years. I have plenty of 223 brass to convert with a Harbor Freight cutoff saw in route and a 3d printed jig on hand. Got some Lil Gun powder on hand from a previous project and primers. Lee dies for 300 BO just arrived. I will load on a Dillon 550.

Question is projectiles. I am thinking about using the .308 110 FMJs bulk projectiles for practice - these are originally intended for 30 Carbine. I will look for some heavier bullets for subs through my 30 caliber AAC suppressor.

Open for lessons on loading 300BO. Watching PSA for a deal on a 300BO pistol upper and I need a brace that fits on a carbine tube.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I like the cheepness of the RN .30 Carbine projectiles, but is there any issue with them feeding reliably in an AR? I know 5.56 can feed some fairly blunt noses, but that's still a lot smaller than a blunt .308.

I'm probably headed down this same path. I'm thinking about just buying a bag of Starline brass and a bunch of SMK or SST 125s for practice.

I also have some .44 Magnum Hornady Custom ammo and a couple boxes of bullets I would be happy to trade for any .300 BLK components.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The Speer 125 TNT's got really good reviews from what I have read. I got 500 at a good price. Haven't really loaded many yet though.

I’m going to get some Hornady 125FMJs when I get ready to load my own 300s. Hornadys factory load with that bullet shoots well enough in my Ruger American Ranch.

.300Blk is like a goat for reloading, it will digest a lot of stuff off your reloading shelf.

I’ve got the Harbor Freight cutoff saw and guide a gent was selling over at the Blackout forum, I’ve got a couple thousand brass another guy was converting with mil surp brass, I’ve fed my guns .308 bullets ranging from 110gr to 240gr. With the 240gr bullet being one I cast myself.

FWIW, Lil Gun runs hot, as in the barrel is too hot to touch after 5 rounds and you can’t comfortably pick fired brass up with your bare hand for a minute or so. I also got better accuracy and no heat issues using W296/H110. Accurate Arms 1680 is the darling of .300Blk loaders but I could never find it in stock when I needed it. I have a pound of Hodgdon CFE BLK on my shelf, I need to knuckle down and load up some to see how well it works.

300 BO or BLK reloading

I’m getting ready to load 125gr with H110 and a set of Lyman MSR dies that just showed up. I only have 1lb, so fortunately it’s not a high volume cartridge. I like that this is a small base die set and comes with a case gauge.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Joshmill View Post
    The Speer 125 TNT's got really good reviews from what I have read. I got 500 at a good price. Haven't really loaded many yet though.
    These and the Sierra 125 Pro Hunters are both good. The TNTs are a bit cheaper especially when bought in the Speer bulk box.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Joshmill View Post
    When I asked the same question @nate89 Turned me on to the TNTs. I have only loaded Qty500-600 and have not shot that many, but it seems like a nice fit.

Site Supporter
    I'm processing a bunch of brass to convert over to 300 - for those that have done the work, is there a problem with rough sizing and then cutting compared to rough trimming and then sizing?

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I'm processing a bunch of brass to convert over to 300 - for those that have done the work, is there a problem with rough sizing and then cutting compared to rough trimming and then sizing?
    The ones I have made were sized in the 300BO die to form them before I cut them off. Seemed like I could get the saw closer to net length that way.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List