Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: NRAAM 2019 - What new products do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I'm not intrested in any new S&W revolvers until they stop putting locks in them.
    Why the hate for the locks? Genuine question. Do they cause reliability or maintenance issues, or is it just on principle?
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    Why the hate for the locks? Genuine question. Do they cause reliability or maintenance issues, or is it just on principle?
    1) They are a solution looking for a problem
    2) They negatively impact the looks of the gun
    3) There have been instances in which the locks have caused small and/or lightweight guns to malfunction (involving the effects of recoil)

I owned a lot of full size S&W revolvers with and without locks and never had a problem with the ones equipped with locks. But I never really liked the locks or had a use for them.

I think most folks who refuse to buy S&W guns equipped with locks do so out of principle rather than due to a specific problem they have experienced. Or they just hate the way they look.
    Last edited by Robinson; 04-15-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    1) They are a solution looking for a problem
    2) They negatively impact the looks of the gun
    3) There have been instances in which the locks have caused small and/or lightweight guns to malfunction (involving the effects of recoil)

I owned a lot of full size S&W revolvers with and without locks and never had a problem with the ones equipped with locks. But I never really liked the locks or had a use for them.

I think most folks who refuse to buy S&W guns equipped with locks do so out of principle rather than due to a specific problem they have experienced. Or they just hate the way they look.
    Pretty much this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    1) principle
    2) known failures / unintentional activation on light weight and high recoil guns.
    3) adds a point of failure - generally a bad design concept
    4) adds a vector for dirt / debris to enter the mechanism
    5) FUGLY

On that note, having heard occasional mentions of locks failing on Smiffs.... has anyone ever had it happen with the HK P30 guns that have them?

Why the hate for the locks?
    I fall in the middle, I will buy one with the lock, but I will not lust after one with the lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Had 2, petite build females, shooting J frames that simultaneously engaged the locks on the same round. The odds of that..... but I witnessed it, and will never own a Smith with a lock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    On that note, having heard occasional mentions of locks failing on Smiffs.... has anyone ever had it happen with the HK P30 guns that have them?
    Not that I am aware of. The lock operates / rotates perpendicular to the recoil force, and can not be engaged unless the hammer is completely resting on the firing pin.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 04-15-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Taking a break from social media.

A P30 in .357 Sig.

A distant 2nd would be a Gen 5 G31. Neither will ever happen but that's what I want dammit...
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 04-15-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Had 2, petite build females, shooting J frames that simultaneously engaged the locks on the same round. The odds of that..... but I witnessed it, and will never own a Smith with a lock.

Not that I am aware of. The lock operates / rotates perpendicular to the recoil force, and can not be engaged unless the hammer is completely resting on the firing pin.
    Awesome thank you. A P30 is my girlfriend's main gun and I always had slight concern but kept forgetting to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    .... has anyone ever had it happen with the HK P30 guns that have them?
    Nope. Not me.

User Tag List