Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: NPE J-Frame Size Revolvers - Let's Talk Quality Options

Site Supporter
    I like small .32 and .380 autos but don't fool myself about effectiveness. I say that my older Ruger LCP with hot Buffalo Bore ammo loaded with a hard cast bullet would give sufficient penetration, but then I remember that .38 Spl lead round nose and 9mm hard ball penetrate also. We err when we select such handguns as primary weapons as I have done from time to time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I am still waiting for the once promised 7.65/.32 Beretta Pico to fill my tiny semi-auto pistol place. With Euro 7.65 ammo, I suspect it would do as well as .380 ball but slightly less recoil and one more round in the magazine.
    As between .32 and .380, .32 is semi-rimmed, which does create two potential reliability issues. One occurs when the rim of one cartridge is in the groove of the cartridge below it, and may require extra recoil spring strength to chamber a round. The other occurs when the rim of one cartridge gets behind the rim of the cartridge below it while cartridges are being loaded in the magazine. That second condition will require a magazine change.

Despite this issue, Kel-Tec’s P-32 has a slightly better reputation for overall reliability than their P3AT. I have one of each, and both require recoil springs that are 2 lb. heavier than factory standard for 100% reliability.

The last time I looked at the data, velocities were about equal but .380 provides 50% more bullet mass at that velocity.

If you do like .32, Kel-Tec makes what I believe to be the best overall option. It is the only gun I have been able to get my wife to carry with any frequency, and it was my backup/NPE gun before good tiny .380 options became available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    As between .32 and .380, .32 is semi-rimmed, which does create two potential reliability issues. One occurs when the rim of one cartridge is in the groove of the cartridge below it, and may require extra recoil spring strength to chamber a round. The other occurs when the rim of one cartridge gets behind the rim of the cartridge below it while cartridges are being loaded in the magazine. That second condition will require a magazine change.

Despite this issue, Kel-Tec’s P-32 has a slightly better reputation for overall reliability than their P3AT. I have one of each, and both require recoil springs that are 2 lb. heavier than factory standard for 100% reliability.

The last time I looked at the data, velocities were about equal but .380 provides 50% more bullet mass at that velocity.

If you do like .32, Kel-Tec makes what I believe to be the best overall option. It is the only gun I have been able to get my wife to carry with any frequency, and it was my backup/NPE gun before good tiny .380 options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The rim lock issue might be why there is no 7.65 barrel as promised.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 08-23-2019 at 12:46 PM.

In my NPE I pocket carry either a Kel-Tec P32, Lcp II or a P365 in a sticky holster depending on how I’m dressed. Lately I have been successful dressing around the P365 most days with Relaxed fit Wranglers and an untucked shirt. Because I am old, the rest of the time, I can get away with loose fitting pleated slacks, a tucked in shirt and a LCP II in my front pocket. I haven’t been able to make a snubby work in an NPE. I find most folks don’t spend a lot of time staring at your “nether regions” anyway and most of us men carry a bunch of stuff in our pockets so a full pocket does not attract attention.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    A guy i worked with carried his inside of slip on boots everyday for years. Just looking at cowboy boots and there is one maker Tecovas who has a low boot and perhaps there are other makers also. The roper style cowboy boot has a relatively low heel and does not look like a cowboy boot. I havent seen one in person but im thinking it hits below the calf so there might be room for a soft holster with clip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Last time I carried with holster clipped to a boot it wasn't very comfortable. It was years ago with a metal frame pistol. A lot has changed since then but a pound bouncing against my leg / ankle is still a pound.

A ankle holster with the boot covering it, I think would work better.
    Someone posted this link on PF before, but it looks like an option with boots, if the pant leg is loose enough.

https://bugbiteholsters.com/the-bugbite-holster/
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter

That looks pretty cool.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; 08-23-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Someone posted this link on PF before, but it looks like an option with boots, if the pant leg is loose enough.

https://www.tecovas.com/products/the...nt=31686410766

Here the link to the low cut boot. Its called the Earl and it comes in 4 different colors. Tecovas are a handmade boot that only have direct sales so the prices are pretty reasonable.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    https://www.tecovas.com/products/the...nt=31686410766

Here the link to the low cut boot. Its called the Earl and it comes in 4 different colors. Tecovas are a handmade boot that only have direct sales so the prices are pretty reasonable.
    I have the Earl in black and they are great boots. I've never thought of trying to drop a revolver in there.
    Last edited by jaredm1; 08-24-2019 at 08:17 AM.

My glock 42 weighs 16.20 oz loaded with 7 rounds of underwood xtreme penetrators, just throwing that out there. For pocket carry I find it very easy and actually looks less like a gun than my lcr 22 mag in my pocket, the grip of the revolver sticks up a lot higher in my pocket too. Ruger lcp custom I almost washed, loaded, twice and luckily caught it in time before the washer started it's cycle, that's why I stopped carrying it, because I literally forget it is in my pocket.

I love revolvers, but a small 380 will conceal better when concealment is absolutely crucial. I am a confident face shooter out to 15 yards with a g42 and mag dumps are not a problem.

Okay, so this has been narrowed down to Ruger LCR .38 Special or Smith & Wesson 442/642 Performance Center No Lock variants. I have been seeing what seems to be a significant amount of issues with new make S&W revolvers on this forum as of late, can anybody weigh in on this?

My friend has become a convert to the snubbie after listening to the first hour of Dagga Boy's interview with Primary & Secondary, but was more fond of the of the J-Frame than the LCR when A/B'ing them at the LGS. I really cautioned against the J-Frame because of the reports.

That being said, I was personally more fond of the LCR after handling them both and looking at the technical and functional differences between the two. It sure seems to me that assuming Ruger did their homework in the engineering dpt. the LCR is truly the superior design in a lot of ways to the J-Frame which is basically what it was since the beginning (for better or worse, depending on perspective.

Hoping somebody like Dagga Boy or Chuck Haggard with tons of revolver experience could weigh in here from what they've been seeing with these in personal/class uses. I really don't want to write off S&W, so don't take this to be a bashing of them either. I just cannot recommend something that stands a much higher chance of problems either before or during service use.

User Tag List