Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Single Stack USPSA rule regarding bushings

Site Supporter

Question on Single Stack USPSA rule regarding bushings

Can someone tell me why the 1911 has to have a bushing for single stack division? Does a bushing-less bull barrel offer that much of an advantage?

It's only a very small advantage, but the effect is real. It's also a kind "if you give a mouse a cookie" sort of a thing in that if bull barrels are ok, then they'll become the competitive standard. If bull barrels are standard, then sight-trackers start to become a thing.

No-holds-barred 1911s are already out there in Limited and Lim-10, and a bull barrel gun with 10-rounders is competitive in Limited-10, so Single Stack is the place to shoot the more restrained guns.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    It's only a very small advantage, but the effect is real. It's also a kind "if you give a mouse a cookie" sort of a thing in that if bull barrels are ok, then they'll become the competitive standard. If bull barrels are standard, then sight-trackers start to become a thing.

No-holds-barred 1911s are already out there in Limited and Lim-10, and a bull barrel gun with 10-rounders is competitive in Limited-10, so Single Stack is the place to shoot the more restrained guns.
    Makes sense, thank you for the info.

But then, since they have just increased a weight limit, my 45 ahseepee Kimber takes a tungsten guide rod and still makes the weight...
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Unless they’ve changed it, that only applies to barrels 5” or longer. I ran a commander length gun w a bull barrel. Including running it at a SS Nationals.

Edit: just checked. Bull barrels are fine if they’re 4.2” or less. I was running a 4” STI Spartan 9mm.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Edit: just checked. Bull barrels are fine if they’re 4.2” or less. I was running a 4” STI Spartan 9mm.
    Oh good. When I get back into local USPSA matches I can still run my bobtailed 9mm commander like an idiot. I was worried there for a second.

The Special Condition for Single Stack starts out:
    "Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning."

I think the intent was to provide a home for guns that were no longer competitive in Open or Limited; kind of like the Garand high-power match or the Distinguished Revolver bullseye match.

A lot of little dispensations have crept in but not to the point of making a travesty of the Division like Production has become.
    Read the rules before you buy or bend metal.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    The Special Condition for Single Stack starts out:
    "Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning."

I think the intent was to provide a home for guns that were no longer competitive in Open or Limited; kind of like the Garand high-power match or the Distinguished Revolver bullseye match.

A lot of little dispensations have crept in but not to the point of making a travesty of the Division like Production has become.
    Read the rules before you buy or bend metal.
    Good point on reading the rules. I was all set to pull the trigger on a Ruger Target 9mm 1911 which started my question on the whole thing. Ruger doesn't make a full size 9mm bushing model unless it is the Koenig one and I am too cheap for that.

It’s still possible to have a “game gun” in Single Stack, Springfield Armory’s Custom Shop puts out one that looks really nice.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1...c-9mm-handgun/

A heavy frame and big magwell seem to be the go-to choices for such an optimized gun. I’d actually lean towards a .40 or a 10mm, because I can still get 10 round Tripp “System” magazines, and load to either Minor or Major as I saw fit. The 9mm certainly looks nice, and it’s my skills and not my gun or its chambering that are currently tre limiting factor in my abilities.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Ruger doesn't make a full size 9mm bushing model unless it is the Koenig one and I am too cheap for that.
    And this is probably the only reason the Koenig has a bushing...

User Tag List