Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hippie diet?

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    I'd take out the stevia if possible
    Ok. Is Stevia like really bad or something? I admit I’m pretty much a noob at this nutrition stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I've been following this thread with interest. I've started trying to eat healthier most days, though I still enjoy alcohol in moderation and some carbs. I've also started adding kettlebell to my workout regimen which I quite like so far.

I'd like to know what you folks think about these things when it comes to diet:

Oatmeal, especially steel cut oats
    100% whole grain bread (I love a good sammich)
    pork in moderation (I eat more beef and chicken but bacon or bbq once a week = yum)
    cheese
    stevia
    I don't do bread generally. It's a pretty worthless food with a ton of calories for not much nutrition. One slice of bread has roughly the same amount of carbs as a bowl of brussel sprouts, but those sprouts are a hell of a lot more filling and healthier for you.

I'm not picky about the animals that I eat, but I choose the high fat cuts when possible.

Be careful with BBQ-. There is usually a ton of sugar in sauce.

Cheese doesn't bother me, but again I gravitate towards higher fat content. My wife and I love cheese as a treat, but we're usually eating brie, blues, port salut, guyere, etc in small quantities.

I don't have an opinion on Stevia. I've never had much of a sweet tooth, so I don't really do fake sweeteners. If we're going to make something like pie, we'll use regular old sugar or honey. I think the key is to ration those things and not overeat just because it's "sugar free"
    Last edited by littlejerry; 12-04-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Steel cut oats: My favorite way to prepare them is with a small slow cooker with a removeable liner. Combine oats, milk, water, pinch of salt, and chopped dried or fresh fruit in the liner. Microwave until it starts to foam. Put it in the heated shell, cover, and take the dog for the morning walk. When I get back the oats are cooked. Beat one or two eggs, (sometimes with a splash of vanilla) and mix that into the oats.

I like them for breakfast in the colder months if I know I'm going to be active that morning.

Stevia: I just don't like the taste. If I really want a sweetner I'll use a small amount of honey, maple syrup, or blackstrap molasses, or add some chopped dried fuit.

As you eat less sugar you'll want less sugar. Most desserts now taste much too sweet to me. The only chocolate that tastes more like chocolate than sugar is the seriously dark stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Ok. Is Stevia like really bad or something? I admit I’m pretty much a noob at this nutrition stuff.
    The reports Jason Fund used in the Obesity Code shows that stevia raises insulin more than sugar.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    The reports Jason Fund used in the Obesity Code shows that stevia raises insulin more than sugar.
    K, that is interesting. I don’t use it except in coffee in the morning.

Problem is I have a sweet tooth the size of Montana. I guess I will lose the stevia and try the Kerry gold butter and Coco oil in the coffee tomorrow.

Speaking of: Somebody told me to get a battery powered frother for the coffee. Apparently whipping it in makes it creamier/sweeter tasting?

Do you guys do that, or just dump in the butter/oil and stir? I admit, it sounded good to me.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I'd like to know what you folks think about these things when it comes to diet:

Oatmeal, especially steel cut oats
    100% whole grain bread (I love a good sammich)
    pork in moderation (I eat more beef and chicken but bacon or bbq once a week = yum)
    cheese
    stevia
    Diets are controversial because they're so personal. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Then you add in the bro-science aspect and things get very tangled.

TL;DR: From my paleo preference, I'd limit the oatmeal and bread. Eat as much pork and cheese as you like, especially if it's high quality, grass fed, from a producer that you trust. Stevia in moderation.

---------------------------
    What is your goal? Weight loss or general health? Look at your food choices from the perspective of weight and also inflammation. Sugar and grain consumption are associated with all sorts of inflammation and gut issues, further leading to problems with immune system. Of course, some of us handle it better than others.

You have to research this stuff for yourself. I'm certainly not a nutritional expert. I'm just some dude on the internet that's interested in the subject. The Atkin's/paleo (popularized by Weston A. Price, Robb Wolf, Gary Taubes, etc.) model makes the most sense to me and I've pretty much bought into it. Then again, there are much smarter dudes than I that think it's all about Calories In vs Calories out (see Larry Lindenman's Point Driven Diet article above).
    David S.

David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Diets are controversial because they're so personal. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Then you add in the bro-science aspect and things get very tangled.

TL;DR: From my paleo preference, I'd limit the oatmeal and bread. Eat as much pork and cheese as you like, especially if it's high quality, grass fed, from a producer that you trust. Stevia in moderation.

---------------------------
    What is your goal? Weight loss or general health? Look at your food choices from the perspective of weight and also inflammation. Sugar and grain consumption are associated with all sorts of inflammation and gut issues, further leading to problems with immune system. Of course, some of us handle it better than others.

You have to research this stuff for yourself. I'm certainly not a nutritional expert. I'm just some dude on the internet that's interested in the subject. The Atkin's/paleo (popularized by Weston A. Price, Robb Wolf, Gary Taubes, etc.) model makes the most sense to me and I've pretty much bought into it. Then again, there are much smarter dudes than I that think it's all about Calories In vs Calories out (see Larry Lindenman's Point Driven Diet article above).
    Thanks. When I said "diet" I didn't mean like being "on a diet" but rather diet as in what we eat.

So even 100% whole grains can lead to inflammation? I did not know that.

It's controversial, probably because "it depends." Some argue that whole grains offer little to no benefit over more processed grains. Most argue whole grains are much healthier.

YMMV, so choose your experts, I guess.
    David S.

User Tag List