Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 GLOCK in .40SW

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Never happen.
    It historically has, both Glock and Sig have included gun leather as part of a new contract. Maybe others have as well, but those are the two I know have.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It historically has, both Glock and Sig have included gun leather as part of a new contract. Maybe others have as well, but those are the two I know have.
    So Glock included New $150 Safiriland Duty Holsters at no cost to the Agency when selling pistols for about $350 each?

Site Supporter
    So Glock included New $150 Safiriland Duty Holsters at no cost to the Agency when selling pistols for about $350 each?

It’s not uncommon, at least that’s my understanding. Often they will take their old guns in on trade.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I don't know what Sig or Glock pays for duty holsters, but yes. Are you familiar with the concept of a loss leader? Taking a reduced profit or accepting a loss to get your foot in the door then making your profit on the inertia of that initial purchase? That's one of the ways Glock got such widespread acceptance in law enforcement circles. This isn't secret or even controversial. If you don't believe they'll give holsters and the cops who've already chimed in and said it happened at their department, you probably also won't believe they took prior generation guns in even trades for new generation guns just to get them in holsters, but they did. Glock will also buy your existing guns as part of the package, and they get sold through some place like Kiesler's.

King Gillette's notion of "give them the razor, sell them the blades" works and Glock exploited that hard and fast.

Once you get in the door, inertia takes over. You buy Glock parts. You send people to Glock armorer's school. You buy Glock magazines. You hire new people, and they need a Glock so you buy more Glocks. People retire and buy or are gifted their duty weapon, so you buy more Glocks. Guns are used to shoot people and sit in the property room so you buy more Glocks. Eventually your guns are worn and need replaced. You already have your logistics and training in place for Glock so what do you buy? Right. So Glock gets a foot in the door and it snowballs. Plus then the Glock rep can use that as a selling point to smaller departments and Glock uses it to market to individual customers. It's good enough for (insert prestige customer here) so it's a great option for you too!

So how do you displace Glock at that point? You aren't going to do it by being marginally cheaper. The inertia, especially with a large department, is very tough to overcome. If you want your gun in Large Dept X's holsters, you will need to offer free support gear, free armorer's training, etc. Which Sig did to limited success. And, again, maybe S&W and others have tried, I just don't know anything about them. We've never even T&E'd them.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I don't know what Sig or Glock pays for duty holsters, but yes. Are you familiar with the concept of a loss leader? Taking a reduced profit or accepting a loss to get your foot in the door then making your profit on the inertia of that initial purchase? That's one of the ways Glock got such widespread acceptance in law enforcement circles. This isn't secret or even controversial. If you don't believe they'll give holsters and the cops who've already chimed in and said it happened at their department, you probably also won't believe they took prior generation guns in even trades for new generation guns just to get them in holsters, but they did. Glock will also buy your existing guns as part of the package, and they get sold through some place like Kiesler's.

King Gillette's notion of "give them the razor, sell them the blades" works and Glock exploited that hard and fast.

Once you get in the door, inertia takes over. You buy Glock parts. You send people to Glock armorer's school. You buy Glock magazines. You hire new people, and they need a Glock so you buy more Glocks. People retire and buy or are gifted their duty weapon, so you buy more Glocks. Guns are used to shoot people and sit in the property room so you buy more Glocks. Eventually your guns are worn and need replaced. You already have your logistics and training in place for Glock so what do you buy? Right. So Glock gets a foot in the door and it snowballs. Plus then the Glock rep can use that as a selling point to smaller departments and Glock uses it to market to individual customers. It's good enough for (insert prestige customer here) so it's a great option for you too!

So how do you displace Glock at that point? You aren't going to do it by being marginally cheaper. The inertia, especially with a large department, is very tough to overcome. If you want your gun in Large Dept X's holsters, you will need to offer free support gear, free armorer's training, etc. Which Sig did to limited success. And, again, maybe S&W and others have tried, I just don't know anything about them. We've never even T&E'd them.
    I handled the transition from Sig to Glock for a small department about 15 years ago and traded the old Sigs at a local BL Distributor and all the new Triple Retention Safariland Holsters were purchased from the same Store. Maybe the free holsters works for large agencies.

I handled the transition from Sig to Glock for a small department about 15 years ago and traded the old Sigs at a local BL Distributor and all the new Triple Retention Safariland Holsters were purchased from the same Store. Maybe the free holsters works for large agencies.
    I suspect the difference is your experience was doing business with a local distributor, vs. others’ experience was with the mothership. LE sales reps for manufacturers are under heavy pressure to make deals and the front end is often not where the profit is to be made. At a small PD I’ve spent more money on support stuff (armorer tools and supplies, spare parts, etc..) than any realistic profit margin that could have been made on the original purchase. I saw Glock switch a neighboring department from Sig at no cost to the PD a couple years back. Trade in 229s and leather for new 23s with new 6360s for $0.

Edit- my point is a local distributor likely has to make a profit on each individual deal instead of factory direct’s ability to balance the front end of the deal with the back end supporting purchases. The local isn’t profiting off of armorer training, spare parts, advertising, etc...
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I want a .357 conversion barrel for these. Somebody, make it please.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Getting them from a dealer isn’t the same as getting them from Glock.

We got brand new USP’s to replace our old UPS’s at my old place around 2012 or 2013. Shortly after we got the new guns, a Glock rep came to headquarters unannounced. He offered up a Glock 21, Safariland duty holster, AND a G30 BUG/off-duty gun for each USP 45. I couldn’t believe it. The chief at the time, though, said he refused to go “from a Cadillac to a Honda.”

We would have gotten around 400 guns for 200 guns.

By the time we did switch to Glock under a different chief a few years later, that deal was off the table.

Do Gen 1-4 .40 S&W Glocks fit into Gen 5 9mm holsters? I’ve got a lot of .40 to burn through and nothing to burn it up with anymore...figure I’ll buy a used Gen whatever Glock shoot up all the ammo and sell it. Also, one of the main benifits to shooting with a timer in a training situation is the random start function not necessarily the timing function.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Do Gen 1-4 .40 S&W Glocks fit into Gen 5 9mm holsters? I’ve got a lot of .40 to burn through and nothing to burn it up with anymore...figure I’ll buy a used Gen whatever Glock shoot up all the ammo and sell it. Also, one of the main benifits to shooting with a timer in a training situation is the random start function not necessarily the timing function.
    Can you sell the ammo?

User Tag List