Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What ever happened to the HK slim 9?

Site Supporter
    Looking at the grip straight-on, it might be a double / stack-and-half kind of a deal. I feel like a straight-up single stack would have a narrower grip? But maybe not.

Name:  68B80C44-58B0-4CFC-88CF-CD5226B489F0.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  18.7 KB

I’m intrigued because I think HK makes good, high-quality shit. Though I think the lack of a manual safety will be a no-go for me. Unless the trigger is legit DAO.

I have a love hate thing with HK. I trust them more than others. You can bet you can take a random sample take it out of the box and blaze away. You won’t get this: “ what type of ammo were you using, did you break it in, did you oil it, maybe you were limp wristing.” None of that, because it will work! You won’t be a beta tester amd they won’t do dumb shit to it like crap gold triggers and barrel, rainbow finishes. They will work. My frustration is with there seeming forever cycle of resting on their laurels and late to the game. Think if they would be as responsive as Walther, etc. They habe gotten much better from a CS standpoint since being in Columbus.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, HKs are engineering masterpieces. They have certain functional elegance to them--all the ones I've had (3) were 100% reliable. The definitely seem "professional grade."

I just never felt like I shot them as well as Sigs and Berettas. Or 3rd gens.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I have a love hate thing with HK. I trust them more than others. You can bet you can take a random sample take it out of the box and blaze away. You won’t get this: “ what type of ammo were you using, did you break it in, did you oil it, maybe you were limp wristing.” None of that, because it will work! You won’t be a beta tester amd they won’t do dumb shit to it like crap gold triggers and barrel, rainbow finishes. They will work. My frustration is with there seeming forever cycle of resting on their laurels and late to the game. Think if they would be as responsive as Walther, etc. They habe gotten much better from a CS standpoint since being in Columbus.
    Speaking of ever responsive Walther, where's the rumor thread for a PPS XL 1.5 stack?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

You won’t get this: “ what type of ammo were you using....” None of that, because it will work!
    You sure? Because I've lost count on HKPRO threads where "My P-something or VP-something don't work" is countered with "Break it in with Nato milspec ammo, that's what it was designed for".
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

My frustration is with there seeming forever cycle of resting on their laurels and late to the game. Think if they would be as responsive as Walther, etc.
    The difficulty for a manufacturer is finding a balance between speed of iteration vs product maturity. Too much too fast and problems will snowball. Too little too late, and you're irrelevant.

I love the fact that I can take a 2022 VP9 17rd mag and put it in a 26 year old USP9 Compact, and it will run reliably. That's a contrived example but, I'm sure you get the point.

I'm glad HK doesn't compromise on their engineering. I also like that SIG moves fast and breaks things. Doesn't inspire as much confidence for me personally but, the speed and prolific releases are certainly changing the industry generally for the better. I love that there are manufacturers somewhere in between, like Walther, trying to innovate a bit faster while still not compromising much on engineering. I say appreciate them all for their differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    The difficulty for a manufacturer is finding a balance between speed of iteration vs product maturity. Too much too fast and problems will snowball. Too little too late, and you're irrelevant.

I love the fact that I can take a 2022 VP9 17rd mag and put it in a 26 year old USP9 Compact, and it will run reliably. That's a contrived example but, I'm sure you get the point.

I'm glad HK doesn't compromise on their engineering. I also like that SIG moves fast and breaks things. Doesn't inspire as much confidence for me personally but, the speed and prolific releases are certainly changing the industry generally for the better. I love that there are manufacturers somewhere in between, like Walther, trying to innovate a bit faster while still not compromising much on engineering. I say appreciate them all for their differences.
    It’s good to have both ends of the spectrum. Sig shows what can be done, then others show how it can be done right.

My butthurt over HK failing to ever offer a VP9c that takes USPc 13 round mags aside, I wish them well, if they do eventually release this new pistol. Before I switched over to Glock Gen 5's in 2017, I had both a VP9 and P30SK LEM V1. I liked both of them very much, but couldn't really wrap my head around carrying the LEM and using the VP9 in USPSA at the same time.

Paddle or button, don't care (I expect (and would like, being a lefty) paddles, but I can make do with a button.) My main criteria would be a thin, "full" size grip (for me, a "full size" grip means about 4 1/2" or so; my P365X grip fits perfect with no overlap or lost space. I could deal with 10 rounds in a stack and a half SFA design with HK fit and finish...I would be tempted of course, but I'm always tempted by new shiny things...

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    You sure? Because I've lost count on HKPRO threads where "My P-something or VP-something don't work" is countered with "Break it in with Nato milspec ammo, that's what it was designed for".
    A valid criticism, but basically seemingly pertaining to the VP9 when they switched from the original lighter recoil spring to the OEM one in the VP40. The heavier spring needed some operational cycling to achieve its set-hence the break-in period. Once broken in with set achieved, the issue goes away. Best achieved with 124gr ammunition.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    A valid criticism, but basically seemingly pertaining to the VP9 when they switched from the original lighter recoil spring to the OEM one in the VP40. The heavier spring needed some operational cycling to achieve its set-hence the break-in period. Once broken in with set achieved, the issue goes away. Best achieved with 124gr ammunition.

Best, Jon
    I don’t know about that. I remember the same amount of complaints regarding P30s. People always had the same answer: have you tried hotter ammo because it’s designed for NATO loads?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List