Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trijicon SRO--Anyone else had problems?

Whoever said, “Whenever a collaboration is formed, then any recommendation becomes (suspect?)” is a better way to say what I was trying to convey. I would imagine Hilton is a stand up guy and I have no idea what his relationship with Kimber was. I do suspect it is tough not to be influenced when you are getting preferential treatment from companies.

@cornstalker: other than Aimpoint offerings, I don't know of any optic that we've discussed here that didn't have an instance of very early failure.
    @Tensaw: it is a fact proven in other fields. There is a ton of literature in medical field about this, regardless how highly principled and well intended the recipients are.

K, that's a massive thread drift. Back to SROs, two sample of mine are doing well. One just shot about 1500 rounds in 2 days, previously going without problems through Nationals. Another (OMG, it is not duty rated) is sitting on my carry G19. So far, so good. I hope that OP has his fixed and gives it a chance and I hope that early problems were just that, early problems.
    Last edited by YVK; 10-26-2019 at 09:38 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Whoever said, “Whenever a collaboration is formed, then any recommendation becomes (suspect?)” is a better way to say what I was trying to convey. I would imagine Hilton is a stand up guy and I have no idea what his relationship with Kimber was. I do suspect it is tough not to be influenced when you are getting preferential treatment from companies.
    I know Hilton and and consider him a friend. I can assure you his opinions aren’t for sale. A much more likely reason would be Kimber sent out guns to be evaluated that were hand selected ringers. Remember Kimber actually had the LAPD SIS pistol contract for a while. They fooled a bunch of people.

Regarding the SRO I’m following this thread with much interest. I really want it (and the ACRO) to succeed but am willing to wait until all the bugs have been worked out of them.

Site Supporter
    I hope I am misinterpreting something with the above comment. Heh,... back in the days of the 10-8 forum Hilton lead me/us down the Kimber trail. I have very distinct memories of taking receipt of my Kimber Warrior (remember that one?), and then being quite confused and troubled when my $1,000+ pistol would not run; not even with the magazines recommended by Hilton. Was that Hilton's fault? Nope. That was on Kimber. But I have to wonder how much Hilton was compensated (in one form or another) to recommend the Kimber. That carries over to today with these guys - are they being compensated to steer folks toward certain gear?

More to the point, if GJM is the "random guy on a forum who shoots a little bit" - yeah, I'll trust what he says. All. Day. Long.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I know Hilton and and consider him a friend. I can assure you his opinions aren’t for sale. A much more likely reason would be Kimber sent out guns to be evaluated that were hand selected ringers. Remember Kimber actually had the LAPD SIS pistol contract for a while. They fooled a bunch of people.

Regarding the SRO I’m following this thread with much interest. I really want it (and the ACRO) to succeed but am willing to wait until all the bugs have been worked out of them.
    When it come so to gun companies. TLG said it best, Trust No one.

http://pistol-training.com/articles/...rs-perspective

Kimber’s quality has gone up and down (unfortunately mostly down) over the years but as El CID noted Kimber built their reputation with their series 1 guns and at one secured LE and military contracts for those guns.

This is common. Look at companies like Bushmaster and Rock River that can, and do make good guns for GOV contracts and intentionally make inferior guns for the commercial market to increase profits.

I too bought a Kimber Desert Warrior based on info from 10-8 and I too was disappointed when it did not run. I replaced with an SA MC Operator (also 10-8 recommended) and never looked back.

In hindsight, if I knew then what I know now, I would have know that 1) 1911s are unique and temperamental creatures and 2) a competent gunsmith could have gotten my desert warrior running cheaply and easily.

I also know a fair bit of this thanks to Hilton and 10-8. He took a lot of flak from the 1911 cult when he started talking about the logistical downsides of the 1911 in a fleet /service role.

I have broken or seen bad examples of every major manufacturers service handguns. The differences are how frequently problems occur and how they handle those issues.

Ironically I took a chance on a cheap, beat up PD trade in Kimber warrior a couple years ago. It runs and shoots great though I’m 99% sure it’s been gone over by an Armorer or gunsmith who knew what they were doing.

Dots are still evolving and we are still learning about both the optics and how they are, or should be mounted.

I’m eagerly reading use reports of both the ACRO and SRO. I want to put one on a Marvel .22 conversion and one on .460 Rowland project “woods gun”. I like my RMRs, but I also want to try out this newer crop of optics.

I hope that this trend of pistol dot optics continues to be innovative and growing.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Well count me in as having an issue. My dot would keep going out and of course would happen in the middle of a stage. Thought maybe it was the battery at first but would keep going out on me at pretty random times. Called Trijicon and they sent me a new one as soon as the the original was received by them. At least there CS was light years better than Leuopold who would quote 6 weeks. Just got the new one so hopefully it will be reliable. By the way mine was a 5 moa

Leupold quotes 6 weeks to allow themselves a room but usually they turn it around much faster. My last one was shipped back the day after it was received, I even called to verify that they actually did do the repairs.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Just got an email from Trijicon. My SRO has been deemed unrepairable and will be replaced with a new one.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Now I have a tracking number. It says the new optic will arrive next week.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

So far so good with my SRO's

Just throwing my two cents in in regard to the SRO. So far, my two SRO's have been spot on perfect. The buttons are definitely stiff on both, but they work as they should. They are both 2.5 MOA versions. One serial is approx. 6,500, and the other is approx. 8,900. Both mounted on a Glock model 45. One has about 2,000 rounds on it, and the other has about 1,500 rounds. Still putting them through their paces, but good-to-go thus far.

On a separate but related note, I have 4 RMR'd Type 2 pistols, with significant use on 3 of those 4. They have all been 100% reliable thus far. I retired from my LEO career this June, and I am unaware of any other LEO's at my former agency having any issues with theirs. I realize it's not a significantly large sample size, but those are my own firsthand observations. I also never saw a type 2 go down during any of the combat courses I enrolled in. Again, just firsthand observations.

My only unlucky purchase was a Holosun 507c, which broke on the first day of use. Dot failed, and could not be reactivated despite all attempts. I must have been the oddball, as most others seem to like the 507/508.

User Tag List