Page 27 of 76 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Official SIG Rattler owner/fan-boy/nut-hugger thread

Site Supporter
    Interesting, while I’m not too concerned about a “brace ban” at the moment some of these high mounts might be very useful if one were to use an ar style pistol with just a buffer tube and no brace at all. It’s always good to have a backup plan.

(Sorry for the non rattler diversion)
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Im sorry if i missed it. Whats the reason for going so high on the red dot mount? Gives me flash backs of trying to use a red dot piggybacked on an acog

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Im sorry if i missed it. Whats the reason for going so high on the red dot mount? Gives me flash backs of trying to use a red dot piggybacked on an acog
    The core idea is a more heads-up position for CQB work and/or mounted on a weapon where a check weld is difficult to establish. You don't need a cheek weld, more of a "chin weld" to get a nice view through the optic.

A lot of the braces/tubes out there for pistol-type ARs/PDWs are thin and have short/flexible "butts" (braces) that don't provide the firmest base to begin with, making cheek welds more difficult to acquire and keep when shooting.

I'm interesting to see what Craig thinks after running some live rounds through the mount. I'm 'skeptical', but I was skeptical of higher mounts initially and have come around to the idea after some use. A lot of it depends on your view of how the stock/brace/tube shoulder interface. A tubed-only PDW provides such a small contact patch for shouldering that a nose to the charging handle is very difficult to establish with shorter height mounts, even for a short necked dude like myself.

Did indeed get to the range this morning to try out the Rattler. Put a T2 on it, took some "cheap" S&B 124 gr as well as some of the Barnes 110 gr. Range was limited to 25 yards. Got the optic on with the S&B, and didn't take a lot more adjustment with the Barnes. Will have to wait for another day to verify at 50 yds.

The Rattler, though, was positively a hoot. Ran flawlessly and - - - big duh - - - was profoundly more impressive - - - and did I mention fun - - - to shoot than a 9mm PDW. As @GJM said, the 9mm can be the range/training gun, and reserve the .300BLK for more serious use.

It's most certainly a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Did indeed get to the range this morning to try out the Rattler. Put a T2 on it, took some "cheap" S&B 124 gr as well as some of the Barnes 110 gr. Range was limited to 25 yards. Got the optic on with the S&B, and didn't take a lot more adjustment with the Barnes. Will have to wait for another day to verify at 50 yds.

The Rattler, though, was positively a hoot. Ran flawlessly and - - - big duh - - - was profoundly more impressive - - - and did I mention fun - - - to shoot than a 9mm PDW. As @GJM said, the 9mm can be the range/training gun, and reserve the .300BLK for more serious use.

It's most certainly a keeper!
    Question for you, highlighted in red.
    What exactly was "more impressive"?

I'm sitting on the fence between a 9mm subgun, or an AR pattern PDW. Your viewpoint would be enlightening.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Question for you, highlighted in red.
    What exactly was "more impressive"?

I'm sitting on the fence between a 9mm subgun, or an AR pattern PDW. Your viewpoint would be enlightening.
    Well, now having both, and if you're asking about caliber differences, i have to agree with what @GJM told me, which was the idea stated about the 9mm, being considerably cheaper to feed, makes a much better range/practice gun. But if its purpose is solely self defense, the .300BLK is the way to go.

Oh, "more impressive" was simply my comparison of shooting 9mm vs. 300BLK; the latter's energy being quite distinctly greater. Comparing the numbers in a ballistics table is, well, less impressive. For instance, a .357 full load is more impressive than a .38 wadcutter. There is more coal in the furnace.

Nothing quantitative at the range session. Other than the RSO was clearly enjoying watching an old guy with a new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Gas masks make for a poor cheek weld. And the other reasons Revo Rob outlined.

On another note, stopped in at LGS and they had a Canebrake. Cursed state background check line is swamped or I’d have it now...

As I start my hunt, the supply is dry.

Some random on the internet was excusing a nearly 3k price by saying Sig was halting production, there would be no more.

There isn’t any evidence of that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by masternave View Post
    As I start my hunt, the supply is dry.

Some random on the internet was excusing a nearly 3k price by saying Sig was halting production, there would be no more.

There isn’t any evidence of that, right?
    Definitely not true. The MCX guy for SIG said they produce batches of things and that it could be a bit in between them.

Is the MCX really that gasy with a can? Worse than most Ar15?

User Tag List