Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aging Eyes, Sight Types and Getting Back on the Gun: My Recent Observations

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    You're more than welcome to post relevant links to other sites, forums, etc.

After checking out the link, that's the same sight setup I use, as well, fwiw.
    Thank you, Mr. Green. I appreciate the info on the sights as well. I was able to buy one of those used Gen2 G19's from AIM the other day, and I think I'll try that setup.

Piggybacking on this thread; I called Ameriglo yesterday as I currently use the Hackathorn sights to see what the difference between the front sight of the CAP sights and the Hackathorns. Sally (I think that was her name) told me that they are the exact same except the orange paint on the Hack's are round and square on the Cap's. So my questions for those who have used both are:

1. Do you think the shape of the orange paint makes any difference while shooting

2. Do you think the Pro Operators because of the two dots lining up with the front dot makes a difference.

My questions relate to accuracy at speed. I love the Hacks but I still seem to have accuracy problems at longer ranges. I am sure that some of it is me and someone will be helping me with that next weekend, but I also, because of eyesight, have a little problem getting a good crisp focus on the top edge of the front sight.
    Last edited by Ga Shooter; 04-14-2012 at 07:22 PM.

I am working at the NRA show in St. Louis and stopped by both the Trijicon and Ameriglo booths to check out their sight configurations. I spoke with Rick Callihan from Ameriglo a bit and got to look through the sight models that interest me. I have decided I am going to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and purchase both Hack and Cap front sights, Pro Operator, Pro and Standard night sight rears to see what combination I like the best. Always interested to hear from those that have tried or are using any of these sights.

Here are some of things I am interested in trying:

- Hack vs. Cap profile front. Sharp square painted edges or dot for fast acquisition vs. precision. Color: I know some like the orange but to me it seems dim so I want to try orange vs. yellow.

- Pro Operator, Pro and Standard rear night sight: Will I like the wider .180 rear notch or just go with the standard .150. Subdued rear dots or vials with outlines. I don't really find the outlines "distracting" as I am actually use the rear dots to help with alignment as my eyes age.

For the moment, I have ruled out the Trijicon HD's as I want to try all the combinations above and see what I like. Who knows I may arrive at the fact that what I like is the profile of the HD's. Ameriglo just has more options to fine tune what works for my specific vision (or lack there of) and Rick was nice enough to spend a few minutes and walk me through all the offerings. Once I find what I like I will stick with it. I have not experimented with sights for quite a long time so I am going to enjoy having a little fun trying some new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    Piggybacking on this thread; I called Ameriglo yesterday as I currently use the Hackathorn sights to see what the difference between the front sight of the CAP sights and the Hackathorns. Sally (I think that was her name) told me that they are the exact same except the orange paint on the Hack's are round and square on the Cap's. So my questions for those who have used both are:

1. Do you think the shape of the orange paint makes any difference while shooting

2. Do you think the Pro Operators because of the two dots lining up with the front dot makes a difference.

My questions relate to accuracy at speed. I love the Hacks but I still seem to have accuracy problems at longer ranges. I am sure that some of it is me and someone will be helping me with that next weekend, but I also, because of eyesight, have a little problem getting a good crisp focus on the top edge of the front sight.

These are some of the questions that I am hoping to get answers to and that is why I am ordering the sights I listed in my last post. I am thinking of going with a CAP front (I can see the actual edges) and some type of 2 dot rear to help with alignment. Just not sure if want the subdued vials or the outlined vials. All depends how my eyes pick them up.

As I have noted in other threads, vision issues, including middle-aged presbyopia can compromise the ability to see the front sight on traditional sights. One trick is to use bright reflective tape or paint on the front sight (http://pistol-training.com/articles/...ty-front-sight) or a bright fiber optic front sight insert. Another option is to go with a rear sight with a wider notch and a high visibility front sight, (Hack, CAP, HD, etc...)--the extreme version of this being the XS 24/7 Big Dot sight system. Lasers are great, but are not so good in bright light and at longer ranges. For me, the only thing that has worked enough to get me fully back into the game is a RDS milled into the slide, as detailed in other threads.

I have a set of the Ameriglo CAPS on my G17 that I love. The orange around the tritium insert makes quick snap shots easy, and on longer shots the square shape works for precision shots. I've been putting in the work (just finished the 1000 Round Gunsmithing) but up until now have never been able to shoot a Glock as well as the SIG's or the HK's. I attribute part of that to the Ameriglos. Will be ordering some for the new Gen 4 G19.

In addition to astigmatism, these 49 year old eyes have glacouma, which requires three month follow up visits. Friday I was being examined and the good doctor saw the beginning of cataracts. Said I would need surgery (long pause) in about ten years. I thought cops were brutal with their sense of humor.

I swung by the Trijicon booth again today and took another look at the HD's. They only had the orange front sight version on display. I am going to get a set of those in yellow as well and give 'em a go. I will probably set up a few of my 17's and try to keep every thing consistent except for the sights. Off to VA to teach a course for the next few days then back to Utah by Friday. I will order up everything once I get home.

Anybody have any opinions on the square painted inserts on the CAPS vs. the dots on the HD's or Hacks when it comes to applying them to precise shots? Never shot a front sight with a painted square and in theory should allow me to reference the edges of the sight better. Am I on track? I can always wait until I get them to decide for myself but I thought I would ask.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ErnieB; 04-15-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: to add question regarding front sight profile.

Just ordered a CAP and ProGlo front and two rear sights. One with rings around the vials and one with just the vials. I also ordered a set of Dawson adjustable sights for the comp gun. Black rear, FO front in a .125. I chose the .125 specifically as I wanted to try a different rear notch width/front sight width combo than I am currently using with the Sevigny's. I have been acquiring the sights quicker and getting better hits with a wider set of sights than with the narrow front/wide notch rear. Results with your eyes may vary. I've said it before but gettin' old sucks... big time... Still not ready to go the way of the dot yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieB View Post
    Anybody have any opinions on the square painted inserts on the CAPS vs. the dots on the HD's or Hacks when it comes to applying them to precise shots? Never shot a front sight with a painted square and in theory should allow me to reference the edges of the sight better. Am I on track? I can always wait until I get them to decide for myself but I thought I would ask.

Thanks!
    "I think that the shape is important, and here's why:
    The first time I tried the Hacks I couldn't figure out why I was shooting distinctly high. Then an interesting thing was pointed out to me: the circle on the front sight of the Hack is bigger than the rear sight notch depth, so when I was seeing a full dot, the front sight was actually high. Odd, but true.

I also find that for me, the rear dots being in perfect alignment with the front dot is great for times when I need the tritium assist. I don't even notice them in the light, which makes the rear look like a plain black rear, which is good.

That big bright front sight stands out well in the black rear notch. I find the width of the front sight and rear sight to be as well as anything else I have used. I like to shoot fast, and I like to be precise, and the sights seem to work well in that regard, and I don't have to paint anything or shop around for different front sight heights. "

The above is a quote from Failure2Stop on M4Carbine.net when I asked similar question.

After that I ordered the Cap front and the Pro Operator rears but Ameriglo was out of stock. They were supposed to get some in the middle of last week but as of today their website still said sold out. When you placed your oreder what info did you get on availability? I am really waiting to see how this set up works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    "I think that the shape is important, and here's why:
    The first time I tried the Hacks I couldn't figure out why I was shooting distinctly high. Then an interesting thing was pointed out to me: the circle on the front sight of the Hack is bigger than the rear sight notch depth, so when I was seeing a full dot, the front sight was actually high. Odd, but true.

I also find that for me, the rear dots being in perfect alignment with the front dot is great for times when I need the tritium assist. I don't even notice them in the light, which makes the rear look like a plain black rear, which is good.

That big bright front sight stands out well in the black rear notch. I find the width of the front sight and rear sight to be as well as anything else I have used. I like to shoot fast, and I like to be precise, and the sights seem to work well in that regard, and I don't have to paint anything or shop around for different front sight heights. "

The above is a quote from Failure2Stop on M4Carbine.net when I asked similar question.

After that I ordered the Cap front and the Pro Operator rears but Ameriglo was out of stock. They were supposed to get some in the middle of last week but as of today their website still said sold out. When you placed your oreder what info did you get on availability? I am really waiting to see how this set up works for me.
    Regarding availability, I spoke with Rick at Ameriglo and everything I ordered was in stock with the exception of the Hack front I believe and that was going to be shipped a week from today. Also, Rick took the time to answer my lengthy list of questions regarding heights and impact. Thanks Rick. Hope I didn't cause you to think about taking the rest of the day off!

User Tag List