Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What's your nonlethal choice?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

The Sabre I posted a link to early in this thread is good stuff. I have a can I carry when walking the dog, another in the car, my wife has one, and my good friend carries a can when she runs.
    Thank you, I'll look at that.

As a short guy, I feel like it's my fucking curse to always fight guys who are 6-10" taller than me. So I learned early on to get inside a tall guy's reach and that usually means body shots, leg shots, groin, lower extremities in general. Since I started learning more clinch game, I've become quite fond of forearms and elbows in general. Still love the heavy liver shot and cut kicks. The one advantage to being short is that you can be close and still generate a lot of power.
    Hard accurate body shots are really effective and almost always unexpected by most people (even brawlers).
    I've found them to be much better fight stoppers than punching people in the head.
    Most "sucker punches" are overhand windmill rights. Stepping inside of it takes away most of the power and all the accuracy of that punch. It also sets you up perfectly for a hard left hook to the liver or solid right to the solar plexus.
    The really good part about a body shot "KO"? They just slowly collapse into a heap instead of going stiff and face planting like from a "on the button" head KO punch which means they're much less likely to get a skull fracture from the pavement.

It also looks much better on a Police report when you "pushed them away" rather than "punched them in the face".
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Hard accurate body shots are really effective and almost always unexpected by most people (even brawlers).
    I've found them to be much better fight stoppers than punching people in the head.
    Most "sucker punches" are overhand windmill rights. Stepping inside of it takes away most of the power and all the accuracy of that punch. It also sets you up perfectly for a hard left hook to the liver or solid right to the solar plexus.
    The really good part about a body shot "KO"? They just slowly collapse into a heap instead of going stiff and face planting like from a "on the button" head KO punch which means they're much less likely to get a skull fracture from the pavement.

It also looks much better on a Police report when you "pushed them away" rather than "punched them in the face".
    The liver shot, like leg kicks is a little slower to work, but man so effective. If you can remove (most of) an opponent's mobility, you've effectively done what we all want to do in a fight, opened a chance to run the fuck away. Besides can we even talk about liver shots without referencing Bas Rutten? I have to tip my hat to @SouthNarc for turning me onto the amazing Bas Rutten, he was a little before my time in terms of fighters I grew up with (besides the fact that it was pretty much boxing and fake wrestling when I was a kid).

Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-20-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Liver shots are just plain awful to be on the receiving end. There’s also much less risk of damage to your hands vs punching someone in the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The more I learn at the dojo, the more I'm a YUGE fan of body punches and leg kicks. They're like the Arm Drag--->Back Take.

Easy to set up with an unskilled fighter, low risk, and effective. Also low risk of severe injury, In case the in-laws get a lil rowdy and you need to calm them down without fucking them up ugly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Liver shots are just plain awful to be on the receiving end. There’s also much less risk of damage to your hands vs punching someone in the head.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With an impact weapon or blade in hand, liver shots are even worse...And it so happens if you're right handed and setup your blade for either hand access, you can frequently end up blade in the left hand driving hard.

I'm right handed (but box Southpaw), and my keys are carried in my left pocket, with a Top Popper on them. A heavy liver shot with my left with a Top Popper in place is probably going to send the recipient to the hospital for an extended stay. But anything besides a top popper could be used, a sap, jack, even the Comtech Stinger will multiply that force..

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    In case the in-laws get a lil rowdy and you need to calm them down without fucking them up ugly.
    It would appear your in-law visits are very different from mine, man...

Site Supporter
    Haha well not really...but there is something to be said for having a response for someone when you don't want to seriously wreck them. Kinda goes along with the escalation of the use of force in my mind. Gentle art and all

I'm right handed (but box Southpaw), and my keys are carried in my left pocket, with a Top Popper on them. A heavy liver shot with my left with a Top Popper in place is probably going to send the recipient to the hospital for an extended stay. But anything besides a top popper could be used, a sap, jack, even the Comtech Stinger will multiply that force..
    A "stab" into the floating ribs or the liver with the Foster #31 will send 'em to the hospital.
    A "slap" across the ribs or liver with the Foster #31 might send 'em to the hospital.
    Either way it'll adjust their attitude.

Attachment 21784
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    . . . talking, walking, punching, or shooting.
    Sound advice from BehandBlueI's..

If you're concerned about the "punching" part, many styles of escrima transfer easily to hand forms. Get your brother-in-law to teach you a half dozen hand-to-hand escrima techniques. The package should include both frontal and flanking assaults. Spend a little time every day practicing them, until they become second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    The more I learn at the dojo, the more I'm a YUGE fan of body punches and leg kicks. They're like the Arm Drag--->Back Take.

Easy to set up with an unskilled fighter, low risk, and effective. Also low risk of severe injury, In case the in-laws get a lil rowdy and you need to calm them down without fucking them up ugly.

I have taken away the exact opposite the more I train.

Body punches and kicks are also the hardest strikes to set up, take much longer to effectively learn to execute against a resisting opponent, give much less consistent results, and leave you far more vulnerable when throwing them. And, most importantly, are the hardest to maintain the older and/or broken down we become.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List