Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: till Valhalla ????

Site Supporter

Fantastic thread.

Along the lines of doing a "scan and assess" I think Bill Blowers makes a very good point in this video. The video is titled "Tac-Reloads" but Mr. Blowers goes into detail about moving to an improved position before you do your reload or scan and assess. This makes tremendous sense to me and would seem to greatly mitigate the threat of being attacked by a secondary party after you've won a confrontation. Golden info in my opinion. Would love to hear what others think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1urNvj8l_L8

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrok View Post
    Mr. Blowers goes into detail about moving to an improved position before you do your reload or scan and assess. This makes tremendous sense to me and would seem to greatly mitigate the threat of being attacked by a secondary party after you've won a confrontation. Golden info in my opinion. Would love to hear what others think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1urNvj8l_L8
    For years on the streets, I have been moving positions on people I am investigating, interviewing, or otherwise dealing with on duty. It is a quick way to totally change that mental "snapshot" they had of me and where I am at in relation to their world. It throws them for a loop...particularly those that are inebriated or high.

One time a fellow officer of mine had a store call in for a guy sleeping in a SUV and they wanted him gone. Officer goes up, sees the guy passed out, and also notices a lot of burglar type tools in the passenger seat....along with some car stereos, purses.......all this set off his spidey senses and he called for backup.

I get there, he wakes the guy up, guy gets out, starts shaking and sweating, and I reposition when he is focused on the primary officer by slipping a few feet to my right. Primary tells the guy to take his hands out of his pockets and the guy instead starts backing up for the SUV. Primary tells him not to go to the SUV....guy plays deaf and dumb, and continues to the rear, driver door and reaches for the latch. Primary grabs him and seemingly out of nowhere, I hit both of them from their flank and take them both to the deck.

Get him cuffed up and I go to see what he was getting out of the back seat. Turns out it's a fully loaded pump shotgun with the barrel cut back less than 18 inches with a full stock....and trust me....this guy's criminal record isn't going to afford him a tax stamp.

He tells me later that he never saw me move off of his mental "camera" and he assumed I was in my patrol car or the store. He knew he was going back to prison and he was going to shoot it out with the primary. He was sober....but real sleepy from a night of breaking into cars.....and his brain couldn't "find me" in the scheme of things.

So moving, reloading, and scanning could work well.....but like most things.....it all depends on the situation at hand.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Snip
    Wow that is intense! Thank you very much for sharing, greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Regarding clothing, I once got made as a cop while wearing a tye-dyed Jimi Hendrix, cutoffs, and Teva sandals, but I was younger, leaner and meaner then. Now I hope I just look like a reasonably fit dad in his '40s and it will be a complete suprise when I flip the switch and the fangs come out. I totally avoid Spartan Sheepdog Moldy Labia logo gear.

Regarding scanning, I make myself actually look at something and name it in my head, on both the right and left side of me when I look around.
    I get made as a cop all the time, even though I'm not a cop and never have been. Just a beefy white dude with gray hair, which I guess is close enough if I'm in the wrong neck of the woods.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I get made as a cop all the time, even though I'm not a cop and never have been. Just a beefy white dude with gray hair, which I guess is close enough if I'm in the wrong neck of the woods.

Okie John
    After I quit, I was on a Portland MAX platform and had a scrotey looking dude ask "Are you cop?" I replied "Nope. Worse," and that confused him to no end.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I have never taught a class that you would describe as tactical, but even so I'll occasionally get people who "scan" after strings. I tell them that if they're scanning, they better be actually looking for something. At some point during the day's shooting, I'll stand behind them with a training knife in my hand and find out if they see me or not.

I have had one student see me.
    Out of honest curiosity, having heard of a similar practice from one particular and departed instructor; but would you be comfortable with a student addressing you as they would anyone else they observed to their rear with a knife in-hand immediately following a shooting?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Out of honest curiosity, having heard of a similar practice from one particular and departed instructor; but would you be comfortable with a student addressing you as they would anyone else they observed to their rear with a knife in-hand immediately following a shooting?
    Like what, turning around and pointing a gun at me? No. That’s why I use a blue knife.

Thank you - and I think that’s an important variation of the idea, if the idea is worth pursuing.

What would be the optimal student response to such a prompt, as you see it?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Thank you - and I think that’s an important variation of the idea, if the idea is worth pursuing.

What would be the optimal student response to such a prompt, as you see it?
    “Why are you standing behind me with a training knife?”

User Tag List