Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Special Forces pulls P320s from service after soldier injured by misfire

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I think by linking my comment about the potential benefits of a modular design to the reported safety issues, you are presenting a false choice. Obviously, any logistical advantages to a modular design should not come at the expense of the intrinsic safety of the firearm.
    Considering that the Armed Forces have a history of not replacing life limited components in firearms (1911 mainsprings, Beretta locking blocks, M-16 mags), there is the very real possibility that we'll still see the same sort of beat up, worn out, over cleaned, and junked up weapons even with the modular bits available.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Considering that the Armed Forces have a history of not replacing life limited components in firearms (1911 mainsprings, Beretta locking blocks, M-16 mags), there is the very real possibility that we'll still see the same sort of beat up, worn out, over cleaned, and junked up weapons even with the modular bits available.
    Sure. Does that mean that there is no merit in the modular concept? The Army doesn't have a history of using it so the concept is poor?

Don't get me wrong, I thought the MHS selection was poorly executed, and have said so previously on this site. But SIG isn't the only one offering such a design (Beretta has the APX) and I suspect we'll see other companies copy the approach in the future.

The M17/M18 is a disposable gun. I'll be curious to see what that does to military logistics, but if there are advantages to the modular approach, I still think they are at the organizational vice user level.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

The modular approach may be the future, but the 320 is likely to delay that future. Just like GM delayed diesel adoption in the USA with a design that used heads designed for blocks for gas motors, the unfinished P320 design may impact the future of modular handguns.
    Last edited by farscott; 02-22-2021 at 06:17 PM.

I don't quite get how the modular system of Sig work for registration. They usually have the serial number on the frame and they register the gun by the frame. But here, you can change the grip frame and everything, so which part of the gun is registered?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
    I don't quite get how the modular system of Sig work for registration. They usually have the serial number on the frame and they register the gun by the frame. But here, you can change the grip frame and everything, so which part of the gun is registered?
    FCU

https://www.sigsauer.com/p320-fire-control-unit.html

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I think by linking my comment about the potential benefits of a modular design to the reported safety issues, you are presenting a false choice. Obviously, any logistical advantages to a modular design should not come at the expense of the intrinsic safety of the firearm.
    First, I did not intend to misrepresent what you wrote. Or suggest that you're okay with eliminating safety in the name of modularity. FWIW, I did not glean that from what you wrote. My apologies if it seemed that way.

Let's talk about what the actual logistical advantages of a modular handgun system are - sincerely - I don't see those advantages. Real or theoretical to me the attempts at modularity are undermining the safety of the systems, by trying to unnecessarily complicate things by introducing a packaging problem.

Wow, using a FCU is a very good idea, so it's made of titanium? That's very strong. Is the slide rail also on the FCU, that the frame is not subject to any of the stress?

So you just register the FCU?

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    HK:

If Glock works, it would be the most reliable, no maintenance and most rugged one then. This also tells me never touch HK.

If Glock works, it would be the most reliable, no maintenance and most rugged one then. This also tells me never touch HK.
    Read the HK articles (particularly those on the P30) by the founder of this forum: http://pistol-training.com/
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List