Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 Factory Rear Sight Adjustments.

Banned

Glock 19 Factory Rear Sight Adjustments.

I've looked all over the Internet and I can't find official instructions on how to adjust the rear sights on a Glock 19 anywhere.

It [Illooks like/I] you just take a punch and lightly tap them in the appropriate direction but before I take a hammer to my gun I thought I'd better ask.

To clarify this is a Gen 4 Glock 19 with factory sights and absolutely NO modifications of any kind. I'm pretty sure the sights are polymer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I've looked all over the Internet and I can't find official instructions on how to adjust the rear sights on a Glock 19 anywhere.

It [Illooks like/I] you just take a punch and lightly tap them in the appropriate direction but before I take a hammer to my gun I thought I'd better ask.

To clarify this is a Gen 4 Glock 19 with factory sights and absolutely NO modifications of any kind. I'm pretty sure the sights are polymer.

Thanks
    Move the rear sight in the way you want the impact to move. I've used a small brass punch and a hammer. I had Kyle Defoor show me how to do it with a ballpoint pen to mark the rear sight and slide. Worked pretty well. Simply you draw a straight line on the rear sight and the rear of the slide. Move the line on the sight to the right of the line you drew on the rear of the slide. It gave me enough movement at 25 yards to bring my groups where they needed to be. He said all of his Glocks needed some sort of rear sight drift.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 04-17-2017 at 05:28 PM.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by jca1386 View Post
    Move the rear sight in the way you want the impact to move. I've used a small brass punch and a hammer. I had Kyle Defoor show me how to do it with a ballpoint pen to mark the rear sight and slide. Worked pretty well. Simply you draw a straight line on the rear sight and the rear of the slide. Move the line on the sight to the right of the line you drew on the rear of the slide. It gave me enough movement at 25 yards to bring my groups where they needed to be. He said all of his Glocks needed some sort of rear sight drift.

Hope this helps.
    ALL of Defoor's Glocks need some rear sight drift from center? This goes against conventional wisdom of what I've heard, even from here.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Indeed. He spent some time discussing how his ameriglo sights come in different front sight heights. He also spoke to the fact that his rears needed some adjustment, that was during a talk about how painful it is to zero a pistol. His 19 with the KKM barrel that he shot in class was one example. If you look at his Instagram page there's a photo of rear sights on a glock with the word "zeroed" underneath it. He went on to explain that 2 consecutive serial numbered glocks can shoot very differently with the same ammo and sight setup.

eta: I've always always been in the camp of mechanically centering my sights in the rear dovetail. I used a micrometer on both of my identically setup 19s and they both shot roughly 2" left at 25 yards. I thought it was just how I was shooting, trigger press, etc etc. I adjusted the rear sight after having Defoor watch my trigger press and he didn't identify anything that would push those shots left. In discussing with him afterwards I decided that I was going to drift my rear sight to correct the impact problem. I've seen other members here post that they have moved their rear sights as well. For me it was a hardware fix, and I'm happier with my shooting results. Please don't take what I'm posting as the end all be all. I simply had a problem that was remedied by a small change to my hardware setup. In the AAR that was posted a few days back there was a line that said something to the effect of sacred cows being killed, I took a lot of information from the class and it has helped my shooting ability.

Again, what worked for me may not work for others. A few members speak to having sights drifted on their sights, which in turn made me feel slightly better with the fact that I had to drift mine.
    YMMV

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 04-18-2017 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Added info

double tap...
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 04-18-2017 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Double tap

I always start off by eye-balling the center of the rear dovetail and then I shoot some premium ammo through it at 25y to get a good zero.

I normally have to adjust it a bit here and there.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Fair enough. I've seen others state that slight adjustments worked for them as well. I guess I just didn't realize how prevalent that was. It looks like I might be looking at making some adjustments to my rear sight here soon. It might not actually be me all along.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I always start off by eye-balling the center of the rear dovetail and then I shoot some premium ammo through it at 25y to get a good zero.

I normally have to adjust it a bit here and there.
    But how much adjustment right or left are we talking when you confirm zero?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Fair enough. I've seen others state that slight adjustments worked for them as well. I guess I just didn't realize how prevalent that was. It looks like I might be looking at making some adjustments to my rear sight here soon. It might not actually be me all along.

There is a point of return, however.

I have had a glock 19 which had to have the rear sights pushed to one side. I kept pushing them and finally realized there was an issue with the gun (it had an aftermarket barrel). I put a different barrel into it (a drop in) and all of a sudden it worked well and the rear was in the general middle area of the rear dovetail.

I always tell people that if you zero your glock and think it's off, have someone else, or two or three more people shoot it at 25 yards, ten round groups. See the average center of all the above and compare to yours.

If they are shooting very similarly and your groups are off, then it's you. If you are all in the same general group area, then it's the gun.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    But how much adjustment right or left are we talking when you confirm zero?

Honestly, it depends on your impact and how much movement you need. I will take a photo of the rear sight he marked for me and what I did to it to help in zeroing it out.

The lines start out on top of one another. Then simply we just knocked the rear sight the width of the pen line to get what you see there. Photo isn't great and shows a wonky angle but I wanted to show you the difference there.
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 04-18-2017 at 08:20 AM.

User Tag List