Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bronze wool and other methods of gentle rust removal

Bronze wool and other methods of gentle rust removal

I started to post this in the Gunsmithing section but I thought it might get more traction here.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    In the past I’ve used 0000 bronze wool instead of steel wool. Seemed to work just as well and I didn’t have to worry about any stray fibers causing problems down the road.
    Quoting myself because I started thinking, then I started searching Amazon and that can lead to trouble from the Good Idea Fairy.

I'm down to my last bronze wool pad so I hit up Amazon for more. As I was looking I started wondering about a bronze wire wheel for a Dremel or drill. I didn't see any but I did see some brass options for a drill and for a "rotary tool".

What about brass or copper wool? Anyone tried those on metal? What about on wood?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I have no experience with any of the non-steel wool materials, and they seem like a good idea, though have had OK results with 4-0 steel wool gently used with oil or Hoppes No 9 solvent. Ive also tried an all copper penny with crisp edges for scraping rust loose, also used with oil or solvent. It works OK. I like to let the oil or solvent soak in a while before working on the rust.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I use bronze wool myself. One package of it seems to last forever.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    I've used steel wool before, but after I read your post in the other thread, I looked for some bronze wool. I couldn't find any superfine fine, so I bought some super fine abrasive pads to use on my 15-3. I cut them into appropriately small pieces, and they seems to work pretty well. Most of the surface wear was actually wear and not a layer of grunge, so giving the pistol a good scrub didn't change it's appearance much.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have used bronze wool and a good lubrication to take off patches of surface rust. Worked pretty well and didn't take any of the bluing off. If it was very rusted I am not sure how it would turn out.

I have used bronze wool quite a bit back when I used to collect WWII 1911s. It did a great job of removing live rust and diminishing rust stains, mostly without harming the finish in any way, either blueing or parkerization. Just go slow and use oil. I have not used and wouldn't recommend any rotary tools

Quote Originally Posted by rm06 View Post
    I have used bronze wool quite a bit back when I used to collect WWII 1911s. It did a great job of removing live rust and diminishing rust stains, mostly without harming the finish in any way, either blueing or parkerization. Just go slow and use oil. I have not used and wouldn't recommend any rotary tools
    I second both of these. Rotary tools can get away from you far quicker than you'd think, and can leave swales in the area that you'd never be able to get rid of without re-contouring the entire surface.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I needed this reminder to order some bronze wool.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I second both of these. Rotary tools can get away from you far quicker than you'd think, and can leave swales in the area that you'd never be able to get rid of without re-contouring the entire surface.
    BTDT which is what led me down the thought process of whether a kinder, gentler material would be a good choice or a Good Idea Fairy choice.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Use this in addition to bronze wool, and also with oil, for amazing results in removing surface corrosion and other surface goo.

Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Also available via Amazon.

User Tag List