Page 80 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Short Fuse Enabling

Yeah, those sound like the $650-$750 ones at the gun show Saturday.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @pangloss - Oh hell yes, grab one of the better ones! Those are 90’s prices, they go for twice that on GB. Plus they’re great shooters, and if you want to use one for a defensive gun you can zero it for the better rounds like Ranger 130-grain bonded JHPs or the 135-grain Gold Dot, both of which tend to shoot low from fixed-sight guns. That’s what I’ve done with my 67-1 (the stainless version of the 15).

If they’ll ship, P-F revolver forum would probably buy them out.
    Buying two handguns in one month is not an ideal financial arrangement for me, but thankfully tomorrow is a new month! I'm happy to ask if they'll ship.

EDIT:
    @HeavyDuty, a few minutes ago I checked GunBroker. Every model 15 on Gunbroker appears to be in better shape than the best looking one I saw this morning. I'm not a revolver guy, but I think a person would have to be crazy to pay ~$700 for one of these pistols. Maybe I overstated their condition.

SECOND EDIT: So, this Gunbroker pistol has external wear similar to the better ones I saw this morning: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/973038265
    Last edited by pangloss; 02-28-2023 at 11:33 PM.

Site Supporter
    @pangloss - If you're interested in getting one of these, go to the store with a cleaning rod and a bore brush (9mm and .38 use the same size, but a .40 brush will do a better job on the chambers), pick one of the better ones, and brush out the bore and chambers. The condition you describe implies poor storage. Rust in the bore is a deal breaker, minor rust in the chambers can be lived with IMO because it usually comes out with judicious use of 0000 steel wool.

Most of us here are okay with some finish wear because it adds "character" and we're primarily shooters. For me, minor surface rust would be okay because it comes off with 0000 steel wool and oil and I'm okay with a little light pitting. Heavy rust and/or pitting would be a deal breaker.

A lot of these guns respond well to a little TLC. OTOH, getting one as a "project gun" can be a money pit.

Site Supporter
    I went back this morning with my reading glasses and sorted through the revolver pile (formerly Dept of Corrections guns). I think I got the cleanest one they had. Chambers all looked clean with no sign of pitting that I could see. They also knocked a little off the price, so I got it for $250 plus tax. I'll shoot it Saturday and report back. It seems like the potential for a negative outcome is rather limited, but I will definitely keep the money pit warning in mind.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I went back this morning with my reading glasses and sorted through the revolver pile (formerly Dept of Corrections guns). I think I got the cleanest one they had. Chambers all looked clean with no sign of pitting that I could see. They also knocked a little off the price, so I got it for $250 plus tax. I'll shoot it Saturday and report back. It seems like the potential for a negative outcome is rather limited, but I will definitely keep the money pit warning in mind.

I would make a guess that some, perhaps significant amount of the grunge of the finish may come off with a few applications of Hoppes No 9 solvent, then a careful rub down with 0000 steel wool, wipe down with rag, repeat. Theres blue wear, but some of that may be old grunge thats not been cleaned well.

In any event, J&G had a pile of model 10s with no barrels that they sold for I believe $179, then $200, then $250. No barrels. Sold them out. did I mention they didnt have any barrels?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    I will give it a good scrub this weekend. I confess to not knowing much about revolvers, but I am 100% sure this one has a barrel! $250 for a revolver with no barrel seems pretty crazy to me. Makes my deal look even better though!

Good score, great potential as a shooter.

Site Supporter
    If I didn't have too many gun now I would buy that gun for that price and consider myself lucky.

Dave

In the past I’ve used 0000 bronze wool instead of steel wool. Seemed to work just as well and I didn’t have to worry about any stray fibers causing problems down the road.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Local fun shop has a Smith and Wesson model 17 pinned and recessed with the big target grips and nary a turn line.

It's on layaway because that's one of the "automatically purchase and explain to the wife later" types of revolvers.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

User Tag List