Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: .300 Blackout recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Didn't want to derail the thread, but I wanted to respond.

I'm familiar with 41p, and whether or not it finally gets implemented in December, it forced my hand over the summer and I bought two suppressors (trust). I know I'm in the minority here, but tbh, I've never felt compelled to own an SBR. At least, not enough yet to warrant the $200 stamp. Of course, they look cool and I like to stop and admire them, much like the new Stingray Corvette, but I'm not really interested in owning one.

Maybe getting the two suppressors or having 300blk will change my mind, but for now, SBR's don't do anything for me* that my 16" carbines can't do.
    I think 14 inch shotguns and short barrel .300 BLK AR pistols/carbines are extremely useful for traveling around larger creatures.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think 14 inch shotguns and short barrel .300 BLK AR pistols/carbines are extremely useful for traveling around larger creatures.
    haha. I agree George, but the creatures in my neck of the woods are considerable smaller than yours, so there's no need to carry long guns (or their NFA variants) on a regular basis. You live in beautiful country, that's for sure.

I thought FL was overrun with bears?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    No worries, just an FYI, just in case.

I think you're spot on about the usefulness of SBRs. But given the relatively low cost of entry and possible future difficulties I went ahead and submitted a form 1 recently...because why not.
    That's the only thing that keeps me even thinking about e-filing a Form 1.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I know I'm in the minority here, but tbh, I've never felt compelled to own an SBR. At least, not enough yet to warrant the $200 stamp. Of course, they look cool and I like to stop and admire them, much like the new Stingray Corvette, but I'm not really interested in owning one.

Maybe getting the two suppressors or having 300blk will change my mind, but for now, SBR's don't do anything for me* that my 16" carbines can't do.
    The way you feel about SBRs is probably the way I feel about guns. I don't buy them or accessorize them because they're "cool". It's just a means of doing what I like which is to have well aimed shots at small targets. Or shooting loud guns without damaging my ears (as much). I don't get all exited like I see some people do when shooting a suppressed .22 bolt action rifle or any other suppressed gun for that matter.

About the SBR, I would say that an 11.5-12.5" 5.56 SBR will do everything a 16" carbine can do under realistic distances especially with the advancement in bullet technology in recent years. If it wasn't for the NFA and the $200 stamp I doubt most people would stay with a 16" barrel. The slight overall compactness and weight savings was worth the $200 for me. I've spent way more on other things that weren't (for me), like Geissele triggers.

I see that Ballistic Advantage as the 10.3" Performance barrel with gas block on sale for $176. I wonder what the accuracy is like compared to the Premium series with 416R for $220.

http://ballisticadvantage.com/10-3-i...ce-barrel.html

http://ballisticadvantage.com/8-3-in...um-barrel.html

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I thought FL was overrun with bears?
    Not anymore, if you listen to the tree huggers.

Seriously, I've had black bears in my yard more times than I can count, always on the night everyone puts out trash. Although I walk out with a gun, I'm like 20 for 20 scaring them off with a Surefire Fury. That, or I put my can in the middle of my driveway with an old cooking pot on it, and when they knock it off, they run for the hills.

Before I had good trash cans, one 200 pounder got in and spread garbage all over our yard. I was so pissed, I decided I was going to get one of those paintball claymores, put it in a unsecured can with some irresistible table scraps, and give him a money shot as payback. Had it added to my Amazon cart and everything, THIS ONE, then my wife stopped me by calling FL Fish & Wildlife and asked if we'd get in trouble. Figured if someone reported a bear running around with a pink painted face they'd trace it back to my number. I still give her crap for that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    The way you feel about SBRs is probably the way I feel about guns. I don't buy them or accessorize them because they're "cool". It's just a means of doing what I like which is to have well aimed shots at small targets. Or shooting loud guns without damaging my ears (as much). I don't get all exited like I see some people do when shooting a suppressed .22 bolt action rifle or any other suppressed gun for that matter.

About the SBR, I would say that an 11.5-12.5" 5.56 SBR will do everything a 16" carbine can do under realistic distances especially with the advancement in bullet technology in recent years. If it wasn't for the NFA and the $200 stamp I doubt most people would stay with a 16" barrel. The slight overall compactness and weight savings was worth the $200 for me. I've spent way more on other things that weren't (for me), like Geissele triggers.

I see that Ballistic Advantage as the 10.3" Performance barrel with gas block on sale for $176. I wonder what the accuracy is like compared to the Premium series with 416R for $220.

http://ballisticadvantage.com/10-3-i...ce-barrel.html

http://ballisticadvantage.com/8-3-in...um-barrel.html
    I couldn't agree more, but I'll take the extra velocity if only for shooting flatter and further. That, and for now, I just don't care to have it shorter. That being said, I haven't mounted a suppressor yet on the end of my 16", so that's subject to change when I add the weight and length of a can in a month or so. I would also agree, if it didn't cost $200, I'm not sure you'd see many 16"+ AR variants, aside from hunting, precision, or clone builds. My last hang up is being married to a lower, or having to file form ATF Form 5320.20 when I want to drive a few hours north to hunt in GA, or with my buddies in AL, I'd be all about having a 11.5-12.5" AR.

As far as the accuracy comparison between the Performance and Premium series, this is a direct quote from the BA site.
    All Ballistic Advantage barrels are guaranteed to give sub Minute of Angle (MOA) accuracy with match grade ammunition.

TBH, if they would have had a 16" Premium, I would have happily paid the difference, but if they're going to guarantee sub MOA in all barrels, I thought I'd try the Performance series. We'll see. They're only about 25 minutes from me, so if it sucks, I can drive it back to them for replacement.

That 5320 is a bummer but luckily I have a 16" upper/rifle just for that reason. I haven't even thought about hunting in other states. The non resident tags alone would be ridiculous.

$174.99 for 16" AAC barrel w/ pinned LPGB and 51T Blackout...

http://www.natchezss.com/aac-16-300b...y-w-51t-a.html

Why's it gotta be the 16"?

How's your BA barrel shooting?

User Tag List