Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BATFE Changes Definition of Handgun when Assessing Imports

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post

So AR pistols are illegal now?

Sigh.

Did you read OP's link?
    Yeah, did you ? ATF is re-evaluating the definition of "handgun" for the purposes of import determinations under the Gun Control Act of 1968 that has nothing to do with domestically produced pistols or pistols which have already been imported.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    In todays world, people used to plastic pistols handle a 36 ounce Smith 19 and say its heavy. 40 years ago they were considered wonderfully light to carry compared to an N frame 357.
    Maybe it's good news that smartphones keep getting bigger then. We've been a nation of sissies for far too long

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yeah, did you ? ATF is re-evaluating the definition of "handgun" for the purposes of import determinations under the Gun Control Act of 1968 that has nothing to do with domestically produced pistols or pistols which have already been imported.
    If they re-interpret the GCA's definition of handgun how does that not effect domestically produced handguns as well? Or is "handgun" a definition specific only to importations?
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Maybe it's good news that smartphones keep getting bigger then. We've been a nation of sissies for far too long
    Well, the earlier cell phones that actually worked well were called bag phones and brick phones and werent light. Maybe the trend is swinging back. I like my little one that fits in a shirt pocket and has a keyboard that slides out the side to text. Most people now laugh at it or think its cute.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    “Held in one hand”? What a bunch of horseshit. Like modern handguns are meant to be shot single handedly?
    Wow. Given the number of times this has come up I'm surprised at these type statements.

You need to think legally, and historically, not logically.

Legally any handgun, modern or otherwise is designed to be fired single handed. If it was designed to be fired with two hands it would be an AOW.

TLDR under the NFA, since 1934 guns without stocks "designed to be fired with two hands" would have been defined as AOWs. There was a compromise incorporated at the behest of the NRA to define this as guns with two separate pistol grips because otherwise the original NFA bill would have made "regular" pistols and revolvers NFA items.

Technically shooting your CZ with two hands on the single pistol grip is the equivalent of shouldering a SIG brace.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You need to think legally, and historically, not logically.
    LOL. You got me there. But, actually that is super interesting. Thanks for posting.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    If they re-interpret the GCA's definition of handgun how does that not effect domestically produced handguns as well? Or is "handgun" a definition specific only to importations?
    Maybe read the statute ? and accompanying Code of Federal Regulations......

The GCA of '68's definition of handguns only applies to imports. The so-called "sporting purposes test" and ATF import point system etc all derive from the GCA/68 import regulations.

Originally it was targeted at small, cheap "Saturday Night Specials" which is why things like Glock 380s, PPKs etc could no longer be imported. Same reason Glocks originally all came in with Glocks disposable "adjustable" rear sight or G19s and G26s came with grooved triggers, they were "Target shooting" features that gave additional points under the ATF's GCA/68 scoring system towards being rated as "sporting guns."

Words in federal statutes have the meaning assigned them in the particular statute. This is why, for example, the definition of a "firearm" in Title 18 U.S. Code is different from the definition of "firearm" in Title 26 U.S. Code.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    I guess I'm a sissy then, because in my view, anything bigger than an iPhone 7 is already too big for a pocket, and I do not need to be one of those people with a belt-mounted phone holster.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I guess I'm a sissy then, because in my view, anything bigger than an iPhone 7 is already too big for a pocket, and I do not need to be one of those people with a belt-mounted phone holster.
    Indeed, I'm actually still on the old iPhone SE which is nothing more than an iPhone 5 LOL.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Not HighSpeed View Post
    ATF moving to make AR/AK pistols AOWs and covered by NFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I don’t trust shit from MAC after the “NRA hitsquad” shannanigans. I’m not saying it might not be true, but this is a source that I would take with a grain of salt -needs more verifications- than “a top lawyer called Tim and told him.
    If anyone deserved to be taken out by an NRA hit squad for spreading misinformation it is the drama queen MAC and his cunt sidekick at Guns and Gadgets.

User Tag List