Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Vetting a shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Quality of the 590a1 is abysmal. I looked at several in stores and they had missing parts, like mag cap detents gone, stuff like that. Just super shoddy. None were "right" of the few I looked at. The one I bought for a friend had mag threads that were mushroomed out so bad at the end that starting the mag cap was a nightmare, and other stuff. Just super shoddy tools, those mossberg guns.
    Mossberg has a plant in Mexico. They ship the parts into the US and the shotguns are assembled here. Never owned a Mossberg, or even handled one, so no comment on the quality.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

All 5 of the Mossy 500s our local academy just bought went back to the factory as soon as we were done at the range. Some of the biggest POSs I’ve seen.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

The guy over here with the A1 that runs.

Name:  445B1FB6-AC50-4779-A127-140CA0EAEC71.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  25.2 KB

I guess I need to get my hands on a newer production 590 and see what’s up. 🤔🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    All 5 of the Mossy 500s our local academy just bought went back to the factory as soon as we were done at the range. Some of the biggest POSs I’ve seen.
    Let me guess: FTF's with the primers exhibiting light, off-center hits.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I bought a 590A1 back in 2000 that had this issue. Sent it to Mossberg and they returned it fixed, it runs great. Any idea what the issue is and what they did to fix it? Replace bolt? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Nope. Safeties were so hard to disengage we stopped using them because they required to thumbs pushing forward to get them to move. One cadet sliced his thumb open trying to get it to move. And with slugs, they were WAY off. Another instructor and I went out and sighted them in and had to put a piece of duct tape on the stock telling the cadets where to aim to hit the preferred area. Ailing normally would have caused hits high, which would have been misses.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Nope. Safeties were so hard to disengage we stopped using them because they required to thumbs pushing forward to get them to move. One cadet sliced his thumb open trying to get it to move. And with slugs, they were WAY off. Another instructor and I went out and sighted them in and had to put a piece of duct tape on the stock telling the cadets where to aim to hit the preferred area. Ailing normally would have caused hits high, which would have been misses.
    Bead sights?

Mossberg's bead sight setup is the worst in the business.
    3/15/2016

Bead sights just get no respect anymore.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Bead sights?

Mossberg's bead sight setup is the worst in the business.
    Yes.

I told the Commander to get Novas or Supernovas. He went w cheapest option.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The 18" bead sighted barrels on Mossbergs essentially require you to not be able to see the bead to have a proper sight picture. When I use a student's gun I actually "aim" with the screws in the top of the receiver to hit point of aim.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List