Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to find your Red Dot - Going Tactical with Mike Seeklander

How to find your Red Dot - Going Tactical with Mike Seeklander

How to find the dot: Angle of presentation and practice - approximately 15 seconds. And now for an 4 minute, 11 second infomercial from Wilson on how great this $3000 pistol is...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    How to find the dot: Angle of presentation and practice - approximately 15 seconds. And now for an 4 minute, 11 second infomercial from Wilson on how great this $3000 pistol is...
    100%.

This kind of gun industry minutia is so tiresome

“Red dots are intuitive”

But unless you go to class theres no way you’re smart enough nor skilled enough at using your own hands and eyes to ever figure it out on your own…

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    It’s like a live-action version of the gun magazines of ‘yor slightly updated for 2021

“1911 Red dot Roundup: customs from 5 makers”

“It Happened to Me: “neighbors’ pitbull eats all his meth, and then goes for the babies...”

No disrespect intended, but he lost me at "use your BUIS to find the dot."
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    No disrespect intended, but he lost me at "use your BUIS to find the dot."
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge but is this a poor practice and why?

I'm new to PMO and trying to refine my presentation to target. On more than one occasion, my presentation has been off and I've used the iron sights to help guide me on target, so to speak.

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by EdHKVP9 View Post

I'm new to PMO and trying to refine my presentation to target. On more than one occasion, my presentation has been off and I've used the iron sights to help guide me on target, so to speak.

Thanks for your time.
    You want to focus on the target, and looking at BUIS to find the dot is back asswards! Some people cover the front lens of their optic with tape in practice, to accelerate learning to be target focused.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks for your time.
    Basically you're using training wheels when you do that... It's okay when you start out just to help you dial in your presentation but it's not a technique you want to get burned into memory. It's slow and it emphasizes sight focus over target focus. Use it if needed to help learn proper presentation but ditch it asap and move to a target focus. If you have to present the pistol, then find the irons, then find the dot, then verify your aim you might as well make a sammich while you're at it.
    Lots of dry presentations are what worked best for me. And then consistent work to maintain it.

Site Supporter

Thanks for your time.
    Yes, using the BUIS to find the dot is poor practice. It is less efficient than irons alone.

One of the advantages of PMO (or any optic) is it is a single plane sighting system - you focus on one thing: the target.

Irons are a three focal plane sighting system- you have to focus on / accommodate for the front sight, rear sight and target.

When you use irons to find the dot you are turning a single focal plane sighting system into a four focal plane sighting system.

It is always faster / sooner to do one thing vs three things and the same with three things vs four things.

Many of us don’t realize how poor our presentations are because we don’t realize how much we use our peripheral vision to acquire iron sights during presentations.

If you put the work in to develop a good presentation with the PMO, when you go back to irons you will find your presentations with irons greatly improved as well.

Another thing I found useful to break the habit of looking for the irons and focus on the target is to either tape the front of the PMO and make my eyes integrate the images or work with a gun with only a PMO / no BUIS.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Many of us don’t realize how poor our presentations are because we don’t realize how much we use our peripheral vision to acquire iron sights during presentations.
    Could you expand on this a bit? I heard something similar and phrased slightly different and didn't have a chance to ask a question. This looks like a gem of info and I don't want to walk by without picking it up.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List