Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TLG Aim Fast, Hit Fast in ATL March 2011

TLG Aim Fast, Hit Fast in ATL March 2011

I was in the AFHF class this past weekend in ATL. Todd said since we were the first class for the year our AAR didn't matter but I figured I'd post something anyway.

First off, the weather sucked. I honestly thought we might have to build an ark on Saturday. The bottom dropped out overnight Friday night so we were already dealing with a muddy, mucky mess when we arrived for class. It stopped for a couple of hours mid-day but started back in short time. It poured all night Saturday night but stopped before class on Sunday. The rain held off but the wind didn't. The temps were low 40s with wind chill in the mid-upper 30s. Did I mention the mud and puddles?

Secondly, thanks to the our host. I won't name him because he might not want to be named. Either way, thanks for bringing TLG down South. I've been fortunate to get in with a good circle of guys that host a lot of the big names and am truly grateful for the opportunity.

I won't get into the content of the course or the specific drills we did. If you want to know all that stuff you can register yourself and pay the man his due. However, I will say he did an excellent job explaining, demonstrating, monitoring our progress, then answering questions. He was always there with feedback but at the same time wasn't pushy about it. Todd will tell you up front if you don't want to try it the way he suggests just to say so and he'll back off. Otherwise, he'll be all up in your stuff about it. He seemingly knows all and sees all.

His attitude is very laid back but not nonchalant. I never felt intimidated but at the same time it was clear he did care that his students get it right. The drills built from the beginning to the end and Todd made sure we didn't forget what he had already learned as we worked on new skills.

A lot of what he taught played upon the reality of what your body actually wants to do vs what we try to force it to do. Some of his teaching is contrary to what I've learned from other instructors. This is pretty normal when you train with multiple instructors but I really do buy into Todd's logic on most all of what he teaches. I get it.

I have taken over 100 hours of professional firearms instruction over the past 2 years and this was 16 of the best so far, perhaps THE best 16. That wouldn't be a far stretch to say at all. I strongly suggest anyone with the means and opportunity register for one of TLG's courses. Be realistic though, the class is pretty demanding. Make sure you are up for it. I will freely admit I probably wouldn't have been ready for it even last year. Todd might tell you I wasn't ready this year based on me F'ing up one of his drills really badly.

The highlight of the class though might have been the 4 legged drop-in student that galloped across the range during a break on Saturday. I literally was almost run over by a stray horse while walking back from a pee-pee break.

I'll include pics in follow-up posts. I won't name people other than myself. I'm the one in the red rain jacket. I will let others fill in where I missed and tell you who they are in the pics if they so choose.

PS We had a student (in the pic with the Guns & Gear logo'd jacket) run a 4.66 FAST clean. Unfortunately, he missed his second run so no coin. He was really close. I think Todd said we were the first class ever where everyone finished Intermediate or better. Correct me if I'm wrong on that Todd.
    Last edited by VolGrad; 03-08-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Hate that I didn't know about/couldn't attend this class. Hoping to catch Todd after I relocate to TX later this year. Already had a high opinion, but this kind of praise from Volgrad definitely catches my attention.

Btw, hi Volgrad. Nice seeing a familiar face from GPDO here.

We are diminished
    Thanks, VolGrad!

Things I learned this weekend:
    • Everyone from Georgia thinks I play for a NYC Major League Baseball team, but it seemed to annoy them more than impress them.
    • A blood sacrifice to the gods will in fact stop the rain.
    • 5200 and 5400 are even numbers; 5300 is an odd number.
    • If you think seeing a horse on the range during a pistol class is normal, you just might be a...
    • Don't f*(& with Georiga, them ole boys can shoot!

As VG pointed out, this was the first AFHF class in which every single student earned at least an Intermediate on the F.A.S.T. for scoring better than 10 seconds. Great work, guys!
    Last edited by ToddG; 03-07-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Two personal highlights for me were ...

1. A 7.37 (clean) run on FAST. Not enough for a pin or coin but I'm still proud of it, esp since I bobbled my grip a little during the draw. Unfortunately, my other runs ranged from 6.xx - 8.xx raw time plus misses ... making all the rest in the 10.xx range.

2. Finishing one of the shooting on the move drills with all hits (the only one out of 12 students) and having TLG get right up in my face, finger waving, saying ..."Dude .... that was F*#&ing AWESOME .... and I don't say that word much. I don't say AWESOME. I say F*#& all the time.".

Huge thanks to our host. Our crew is very lucky to have a few guys who are willing and connected enough to bring some great trainers into town. I know it takes a lot of work and I am grateful for the opportunities.

Yes. The weather wasn't great but we powered through the wet and cold. Todd- we try to provide all instructors with similar extreme weather. We wouldn't want you to feel any less special than Ken or Larry.

This class was definitely one of the best I have taken. I really enjoyed the pace and the progression from drill to drill. Todd has eyes like a hawk and gives great personal feedback to everyone on the line. I picked up a large handful of things to practice and work on.

We have a great bunch of guys who can shoot really well. The way Todd runs his class allows the shooter to dictate his own speed for each drill and not feel pressured to shoot as fast as the guy next to him. It allows the person who shoots a 9 second FAST to benefit as much as the guy who shoots a 5 second FAST.

I hope we didn't scare Todd off and he agrees to come back next year. I definitely look forward to training with him again.

Can you include a SFTH (shooting from the horse) drill into your class?

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    Hate that I didn't know about/couldn't attend this class. Hoping to catch Todd after I relocate to TX later this year. Already had a high opinion, but this kind of praise from Volgrad definitely catches my attention.

Btw, hi Volgrad. Nice seeing a familiar face from GPDO here.
    I hate I missed it as well, it was a fairly nasty weekend for an outdoor class but I'd have been more than happy with it to get into a local AFHF course. Although I'm not confident there would have been a 100% intermediate rating across all students if I was there....

Are there any plans to do another one this year?

Where were you guys shooting, I've never actually seen a horse on the range either...Livonia maybe near Guns and Gear?

Quote Originally Posted by part-time shooter View Post
    Where were you guys shooting, I've never actually seen a horse on the range either...Livonia maybe near Guns and Gear?
    The location is a private range.

This class was not officially advertised. It was put together as a private class by our host.

User Tag List