Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IWB Cross Draw? Anybody? Bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I used to carry my BUG 642 in an ultrathin kydex IWB cross draw. Made for a fast transition to secondary, but I could never get used to offering the grip of the pistol to everyone in front of me...
    Yeah, some people might see that and be all "challenge accepted".
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I used to carry my BUG 642 in an ultrathin kydex IWB cross draw. Made for a fast transition to secondary, but I could never get used to offering the grip of the pistol to everyone in front of me...
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Yeah, some people might see that and be all "challenge accepted".

I spent a summer and fall driving tractors and potato haulers in and around Ft Hall. It was very prudent to be armed there and many times I had to draw my pistol and luckily I never had to fire it. To be comfortable I rigged up a cut down holster for a 1911 to wear cross draw. It worked very well while driving trucks and so so in the tractors. It did not work well for me when I was carrying dinner back to my apartment that was in the not so good side of IDF. It went from a simple mugging to a fight for my life when the would be mugger tried for my gun. Still to this day I don't know why he dropped his knife to try for the gun. ^^^^^ is the only reason I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    I spent a summer and fall driving tractors and potato haulers in and around Ft Hall. It was very prudent to be armed there and many times I had to draw my pistol and luckily I never had to fire it. To be comfortable I rigged up a cut down holster for a 1911 to wear cross draw. It worked very well while driving trucks and so so in the tractors. It did not work well for me when I was carrying dinner back to my apartment that was in the not so good side of IDF. It went from a simple mugging to a fight for my life when the would be mugger tried for my gun. Still to this day I don't know why he dropped his knife to try for the gun. ^^^^^ is the only reason I can think of.
    Thanks for sharing that experience.
    Now, please understand I'm not trying to shit on you about this, but concealed or open carry?
    When did your assailant know there was a handgun available?

Could be some valuable lessons here for folks.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

Thanks for sharing that experience.
    Now, please understand I'm not trying to shit on you about this, but concealed or open carry?
    When did your assailant know there was a handgun available?

Could be some valuable lessons here for folks.
    This was in October 1992, Idaho Falls, Id. I had gotten "home" just before dark which was unusual at the time and walked a little over a block and a half to a greasy spoon diner which I ate a lot of meals at. I would normally sit at a corner booth but that night I decide to take out and get in bed early.
    I was carrying a Colt Combat Elite fitted with an extended safety(this is important later) in a home brewed holster that started its life as a Threepersons type for a Browning High Power, if I remember correctly. I also remember not having a lot of choice either. The rig was worn crossdraw on my left hip with the butt covering the pocket opening of my jeans. It was OWB but covered by the long chore coat I was wearing.
    After leaving the diner I was mostly lost in my thoughts but I remember seeing my assailant walking down the side walk towards the diner, nothing unusual. As we neared each other I gave cursory glance and it was just a guy with his head down, dressed a little light for the weather that was moving in, again nothing unusual. I was to the street side of the side walk and he was going to pass on my left. At a distance of about 4 feet he stepped in front of me and produced a knife at arms length. That knife was pretty damn close and I could tell that this wasn't his first time. He demanded my wallet which I handed over. He pulled the cash out and tossed my wallet up against the building and was turning to leave when he stopped and gestured to the bag I had in my left hand and asked what was in it. I told him "dinner", he said "give it to me" and when I raised my arm to pass it to him my coat swung open exposing my gun.
    This is where everything gets blurry. I remember the sound of the knife hitting the concrete more than I remember seeing him drop it. From there my next clear memory is us rolling in the street with my right hand on the gun and both of his pulling on my gun and hand. I had my thumb on my right hand pulling with everything dear on that extended safety, to the point that it cut me, deep, still have the scar. I know I was throwing knees and elbows. I found my feet and broke loose somehow. As I was rising I fired one un-aimed shot in his general direction. When I got on my feet and a two handed grip with the sights lined up on the end of his nose, the 4 pound trigger on that Colt might as well been a million, I remember I was squeezing. He ran, the police came and I figured I was going to jail.
    To shorten this up, police interaction is what you would expect and after telling my story to 2 uniforms and at least 3 detectives I got to leave the station about 2 am with my gun. They did end up catching the guy. I testified at his trial(by judge only) the judge asked him why he quit fighting me and run off, his words " your honor, that gun had a five pound hole in the end of it and I didn't want to see what kind of hole it left in me". He got 20 years for multiple armed robberies.
    Last edited by Crazy Dane; 03-24-2020 at 03:46 PM.

@FES313, that's a hell of a night you went through.
    Sure drives the point home on the value of concealment.
    I'm sure glad you won the "gun tussle" contest!

Thank you so much for your detailed accounting. I for one sure appreciate it.

@FES313, that's a hell of a night you went through.
    Sure drives the point home on the value of concealment.
    I'm sure glad you won the "gun tussle" contest!

Thank you so much for your detailed accounting. I for one sure appreciate it.
    Did you catch the date? If it had been today after all the training I have had and the knowledge that I have acquired I believe that we would have had a funeral for a dead mugger instead of a trial. I might still be carrying a 1911, most likely a P365, but it would be aiwb and I would have stepped off the line drawing and firing.

I was just thinking of that. With an "outdated" 1911, no red dot or weapon mounted light.
    My Lawd's, it's a wonder you survived!

Really though, you get the Gold Medal cause you won the "gun tussle" event.

A possible advantage to cross draw near center line could be getting a better angle for a gun hand locked wrist on the draw. Some of the early 1970s era competition holsters helped this.

For CCW:I have not found a way to make this locked wrist work IWB cross draw nor have I found a concealable way to make this work OWB cross draw with a full size service pistol.

I believe it can work with a J frame etc...

I still like AIWB.

Re: Front Cross-Draw

I do not see “front cross-draw,” whether inside or outside the waist band, as being more susceptible to a snatch attempt than the appendix position. Anything equally near the center-line seems equally defensible.

If anything, my healthier left arm might make front cross-draw a bit more defensible than right appendix. I am naturally left-handed, but right-armed, so aging, wear, and tear has affected my right side more, from shoulder to thumb. Even so, I still carry the “primary” handgun on the right side.

I have found the appendix position more concealable, on my body, than front cross-draw. This is one reason that I have not personally adopted front cross-draw. (If I could grow a bit more belly, that might change, but I am fighting against the bulge, not for the bulge.)

Finally, I liked the Clinch Pick concept, from the moment I saw SouthNarc’s demo at the Blade Show, about 2004. (It was a VERY unofficial demo, as the Blade Show staff did not approve it.) If my blade(s) is/are occupying the 1000 to 1200 space, things could get a bit too busy, if I try to also carry a pistol there.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

@FES313

Was your friend from the res?

I worked some cases over that way years back. Most don't realize that it can sometimes be a sporty place, in what is otherwise generally typical mellow farm and ranch country.

User Tag List