Page 55 of 108 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Picked this up today. Was obviously trying to get in and out ASAP. Looks pretty cool so far. I don't think I realized that the stock was adjustable. Nor did I know that it has that "bolt hold" notch where you can pull it back, ease it forward, and the bolt will stay open until you really rack it or it gets bumped hard. That was something I had completely forgotten about in AKs and didn't realize was a feature of this gun.

It included one mag of unknown pedigree. I'll have to get further into the box later.
    Nice. I’m glad this finally made its way to you.

I didn't know “bolt hold” was a thing. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    Is the Ultimak still the go to optics mounting solution? At some point I wouldn’t mind dots on at least my Arsenal.
    The Ultimak is a strong option for a Red Dot mount. I have them on several of my AKs, and even Rifle Dynamics ships their guns with them on an AK

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Picked this up today. Was obviously trying to get in and out ASAP. Looks pretty cool so far. I don't think I realized that the stock was adjustable. Nor did I know that it has that "bolt hold" notch where you can pull it back, ease it forward, and the bolt will stay open until you really rack it or it gets bumped hard. That was something I had completely forgotten about in AKs and didn't realize was a feature of this gun.

It included one mag of unknown pedigree. I'll have to get further into the box later.
    It’s not a “feature”. The resistance of the hammer dragging on the carrier is the cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    It’s not a “feature”. The resistance of the hammer dragging on the carrier is the cause.
    well, whatever it is, I like it so far!

The PSA is just friction I think, but I love the Krebs notch on the safety for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    The PSA is just friction I think, but I love the Krebs notch on the safety for that purpose.
    Pretty sure I had one of those on my old AK. I think I had one of the ones with a notch and the extended shelf, and my recollection was that I liked the notch but could do without the shelf. From my notes on my previous 365 days of AK...

I kept the Blackjack Swift extended safety lever on the gun for the duration of this experiment. While I came to appreciate it, especially the bolt-hold-open notch for admin purposes, I also came to see it as unnecessary. The notch could be added to the stock safety with a couple of minutes with some hand tools, and it is not the hardship that I thought it would be to swipe off the standard safety, nor to re-engage it.

The late Paul Gomez taught me "AK" and I came to appreciate the Krebs "ledge" as an easier way to disengage and a good position for my trigger finger to reside, just the manual of arms I learned with the thing. Clearly just a little file time is all that is required for the notch.

I saw that the notch comes from the factory on the new Century VSKA, a fellow gun club member is trying to sell me his...I am reluctant based on the overall Century reputation, but this guy make me an attractive offer and I did get to shoot the sample he has.

I really like the "enhanced" style safeties with the ledge, personally. But I don't have much need to even lock the bolt open so I prefer no notch. I much prefer the AKOU enhanced safety to the Krebs.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Something AK related I wrote for JTT. Lemme know what you think.

https://jerkingthetrigger.com/2020/0...e-with-the-ak/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Something AK related I wrote for JTT. Lemme know what you think.

https://jerkingthetrigger.com/2020/0...e-with-the-ak/
    Very good write up! Lays it out right there for a novice and even for me pretty much seals the deal on running HSG tacos.

Also - you don’t happen to be the same AK shooting Matt that lived in the Bay Area 10 or so years ago?

User Tag List