Page 96 of 203 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Just bought a G17-5 MOS. Zeroed the RMR and shot the Dot Torture drill. Then shot this B8 slow fire freestyle at 25 yards. Best 25 yard target for me to date. I love the way this pistol shoots. Trigger is the best stock Glock trigger I've ever shot.

Last edited by SC_Dave; 11-11-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Just bought a G17-5 MOS. Zeroed the RMR and shot the Dot Torture drill. Then shot this B8 slow fire freestyle at 25 yards. Best 25 yard target for me to date. I love the way this pistol shoots. Trigger is the best stock Glock trigger I've ever shot.

Man, NICE!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Man, NICE!
    What he said!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

G22.4 with my birthday presents, a KKM 40-9mm barrel and Dawson adjustable black rears with a FO FS. I’d say it’s a winning combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was beginning to think I forgot how to shoot

Long post warning:

My last range session a couple weeks back had my 25yd groups just in the gutter. In thinking, my G17 was about 1,200 rounds dirty, so I decided to see if a good cleaning would tighten things up again. It seems to have worked, although I think I uncovered another issue. I don't know if it's just the lighting or if my eyes are starting to go. I took 100rds with me and was determined to confirm some things with myself and the gun come hell or high water.

I began with a B8 @ 25yds. Not so very good, especially since 90 or better (95 or better really) on-demand has become my de-facto personal standard:

Hoping maybe I just needed to warm up or something, I gave it another go with even worse results:

Grasping at straws I decided to change the target and went to a vertical 3x5. Black marks on all rounds on-target before pasting the 3x5. 3 red circles are from the 10-shot string, with the remaining 7 in a nice cluster on the card. In the immortal words of @P.E. Kelley , "WooHoo!!!"

Having restored faith in my fundamentals, I gave the B8 another go with the worst results yet:

I think somehow I just cannot see the contrast between the front sight and the target with the lighting they have to be able to consistently maintain a good hold.

Then, I decided to try a drill I'd been knocking around in my head for awhile: How far can you hold the 10? Turns out, not very far At least, not with this vision thing. The deal is, you fire 10 round groups standing freestyle @ 7, 10, 15, 20, and 25 yds. Here's what that looks like. I forgot to take a pic of the target with the 20yd stuff added before I shot the 25, but I do have the points down recorded and the eights were the cluster of 3 just to the left:

7yds (honestly, I even had trouble seeing the X-ring at this distance):

10yds

15yds

Final target
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

ASH556,

Perhaps you are putting too much emphasis on sight picture at the expense of sight alignment. Are you familiar with Parallel vs. Angular distortion? Perfecting sight alignment far outweighs sight picture. The key is to ignore the wobble and fire a shot that the axis of the bore is Parallel with the desired path to the target. The wobble looks worse as the distance to the target increases but it is deceptive because the wobble does not matter if the sights are aligned. However once the sights are misaligned the error increases as the distance increases.

Here are a few highlights I stress and come from here: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter2.htm Time spent reviewing and digesting the material contained is the document is quite worthwhile.

Angular Shift Error: If the shooter does not observe correct aiming (maintaining the top surface of the centered front sight on a level with the top of the rear sight and equal light space on each side of the front sight) there will be few accurate shots. Most often, he locates the front sight in a different position In the rear notch. This accounts for a greater dispersion of shots on the target, since the bullets will deviate In the direction In which the front sight is positioned In the notch. This aiming error is known as angular shift error.

Parallel Shift Error: If the hold (arc of movement) is deviating In near parallel error from the center of the aiming area, the shooter should know that these deflections will not lower the score to the extent of angular shift error. Therefore, sight alignment is the most critical of the two. Thus, the accuracy of a shot depends mainly upon the shooter's ability to consistently maintain correct sight alignment. The main effort should be toward keeping your sights aligned, Holding the pistol perfectly still is desirable but It is not mandatory.

Improper. Control of sight alignment is not precise. Distinct focus on target renders sight indistinct.

Proper. Control alignment is precise. Focus limited to front sight only, renders the sights distinct and target indistinct and sight relationship can be controlled constantly.

It is imperative to maintain 'front slight point of focus" throughout the sighting and aiming of the pistol. The shooter must concentrate on maintaining the correct relationship between front and rear sight, and the point of focus must be on the front sight during the short period required to deliver the shot. If the focus is displaced forward, and the target is momentarily in clear focus, the ability of shooter to achieve correct sight alignment is jeopardized for that moment. Frequently, this is the moment that the pistol fires. A controlled, accurate shot is impossible under these conditions.

CONCENTRATION.

If the sights are incorrectly aligned, the net result is an inaccurate shot. Carelessness in obtaining correct sight alignment can usually be traced to the shooter's failure to realize its importance. Many shooters will, in the initial phase of holding, line up the sights in a perfect manner. However, as the firing progresses, and the shooter is concentrating on delivering the shot, he often loses correct sight alignment which he attained in the initial phase of his hold. Usually, when the shooter is unable to maintain a pln-point hold, his concentration on sight alignment wavers. An accurate shot is lost because the shooter is thinking of his arc of movement and not the perfection of sight alignment.

New PR...

Shot this target on the Bullseye CoF I typically use as a warm-up. I was well on my way to cleaning it when I pulled one high on my first string of five in fifteen seconds. 😡 Still my best performance to date.

Name:  F75D97C5-B07C-4946-844C-39E3DBD9E66D.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  21.4 KB
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    ASH556,

Perhaps you are putting too much emphasis on sight picture at the expense of sight alignment. Are you familiar with Parallel vs. Angular distortion? Perfecting sight alignment far outweighs sight picture. The key is to ignore the wobble and fire a shot that the axis of the bore is Parallel with the desired path to the target. The wobble looks worse as the distance to the target increases but it is deceptive because the wobble does not matter if the sights are aligned. However once the sights are misaligned the error increases as the distance increases.

Here are a few highlights I stress and come from here: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter2.htm Time spent reviewing and digesting the material contained is the document is quite worthwhile.

Angular Shift Error: If the shooter does not observe correct aiming (maintaining the top surface of the centered front sight on a level with the top of the rear sight and equal light space on each side of the front sight) there will be few accurate shots. Most often, he locates the front sight in a different position In the rear notch. This accounts for a greater dispersion of shots on the target, since the bullets will deviate In the direction In which the front sight is positioned In the notch. This aiming error is known as angular shift error.

Parallel Shift Error: If the hold (arc of movement) is deviating In near parallel error from the center of the aiming area, the shooter should know that these deflections will not lower the score to the extent of angular shift error. Therefore, sight alignment is the most critical of the two. Thus, the accuracy of a shot depends mainly upon the shooter's ability to consistently maintain correct sight alignment. The main effort should be toward keeping your sights aligned, Holding the pistol perfectly still is desirable but It is not mandatory.

Improper. Control of sight alignment is not precise. Distinct focus on target renders sight indistinct.

Proper. Control alignment is precise. Focus limited to front sight only, renders the sights distinct and target indistinct and sight relationship can be controlled constantly.

It is imperative to maintain 'front slight point of focus" throughout the sighting and aiming of the pistol. The shooter must concentrate on maintaining the correct relationship between front and rear sight, and the point of focus must be on the front sight during the short period required to deliver the shot. If the focus is displaced forward, and the target is momentarily in clear focus, the ability of shooter to achieve correct sight alignment is jeopardized for that moment. Frequently, this is the moment that the pistol fires. A controlled, accurate shot is impossible under these conditions.

CONCENTRATION.

If the sights are incorrectly aligned, the net result is an inaccurate shot. Carelessness in obtaining correct sight alignment can usually be traced to the shooter's failure to realize its importance. Many shooters will, in the initial phase of holding, line up the sights in a perfect manner. However, as the firing progresses, and the shooter is concentrating on delivering the shot, he often loses correct sight alignment which he attained in the initial phase of his hold. Usually, when the shooter is unable to maintain a pln-point hold, his concentration on sight alignment wavers. An accurate shot is lost because the shooter is thinking of his arc of movement and not the perfection of sight alignment.
    Pretty strong argument for the RDS!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    Shot this target on the Bullseye CoF I typically use as a warm-up. I was well on my way to cleaning it when I pulled one high on my first string of five in fifteen seconds. 😡 Still my best performance to date.

Name:  F75D97C5-B07C-4946-844C-39E3DBD9E66D.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  21.4 KB
    Dag gum!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Name:  72F8B077-C9D6-4A01-88BC-019566EC91EC.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  36.3 KB
    Took my dad shooting and decided to shoot a group with the HK P30 V4.1. I am always impressed with how well this gun shoots.

User Tag List