Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: FAST 2

We are diminished
    Some thoughts:

First, I'm certainly still interested in data if folks want to give it a go.

Second and perhaps more importantly, though, I think you all have collectively convinced me not to mess with the "official" FAST as it exists and as I use it in class/tests/etc. So this would not replace the FAST but rather become a variant to be used for things other than classification, pins, coins, etc.

If the delta had been a third of a second, I would have been willing to accept that. But Bill's actual data matches up to Gabe's mathematical estimation in a way that strongly suggests the delta will be significantly greater.

If frogs had wings I'd go back in time and do the surprise reload version from the beginning. But you guys have definitely convinced me that trying to change it now would be a mistake.

I hope you give this one a new name. Maybe "Not as FAST". In all my training every premature slide release for the last year or two has been during the reload of a FAST. (clue) Before the gurus chime in "software issue", yeah, no kidding. Todd's described the same phenom on the topic.

Since it is a TEST, there is not much reason to shoot it slower than all out; most of the time anyway. The preplanned reload in the same place all the time in such a short, high speed test creates a more artificial condition where the shooter is releasing the mag and pulling the gun rearward as soon as they break the 2nd shot.

I can see moving to the "Not as FAST" as the go to test to shoot cold and rarely if ever shooting the original because the method of hauling ass through the original's reload has such a different mental component than any reload one would encounter in a practical defensive application.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

We are diminished
    JHC -- Sure. How about the Complex?

One in chamber, mag in gun has 3-4 live rounds plus one dummy round, dummy round must be #2, or #3 in mag. Must TAP and RACK on dummy round, just racking = fail.

Draw, fire two to head, four to body, two more to head. Clear malf and reload as needed.

edited to add: There are so many variables this wouldn't be consistent enough to be "fair," but it would certainly be a more challenging set of tasks with a lot less ability to preload the complete shooting task into your brain at once.
    Last edited by ToddG; 03-11-2014 at 03:31 AM.

We are diminished
    Actually, we can make it even more Complex.

Round in chamber.
    Mag in gun has 2-4 rounds.
    Spare mag has remainder of rounds to get total of 10 live rounds (so 5-7 total depending on how first mag is loaded); plus one dummy round. Dummy round cannot be first or either of last two rounds in mag (so malf doesn't come in middle of head shots).

On buzzer, draw, two to head, six to body, two to head. Reload and clear malf as necessary. Clearing malf must include tap & rack, merely racking is a failure.

Basically, it's a lot like the Farnam Drill but with tougher accuracy standards and multiple target zones. Also, I wouldn't require moving during the reload or malf clearance because there are complex factors (like working on a team or with an armed partner) that could dictate staying in place as a better option sometimes.

I'm with George.

Among other things, and this comes from several years of running a lot of random load drills and stages, if you shoot your fourth round without a reload, it's not a surprise reload anymore.

Yes, you can fool some of the people most of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.

Todd-

I like your idea of the COMPLEX - but, here's a question.

Does running some drill like that, in one of your classes for instance, in essence warm you up for a FAST test at the end of the day? Of course the morning FAST would still be cold. But I'm wondering if someone might get their panties in a bunch because folks now would possibly have this similar drill during the day, in essence prepping them for the late day FAST (though more complex, and random, so I would disagree with them that this is a good warmup)?

I think it's a great idea though - even for just regular range work because by making it random it will keep the shooter on their mental game to maintain time standards. You can't just sit back and run the gun as fast as possible, but you have to be thinking while you're running the gun fast. And thinking with a gun is always a good idea.
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

We are diminished
    rob_s: Having run a ton ]of surprise reload drills myself and for students over the years, all I can say is that if you're that quick and conscious about realizing when the reload is happening on one opportune run, that's exceptional. I don't think enough people could pull that off, especially if they're working as hard as possible on the drill BEFORE the reload, to make the rare "perfect counter" a problem.

Jason: It's not prep for the FAST any more than a lot of other things we do in class, like work on 2 to the 3x5.
    Last edited by ToddG; 03-11-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post

But I'm wondering if someone might get their panties in a bunch because . . .
    Ha!!!! Like taxes and death!!!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    JHC -- Sure. How about the Complex?

One in chamber, mag in gun has 3-4 live rounds plus one dummy round, dummy round must be #2, or #3 in mag. Must TAP and RACK on dummy round, just racking = fail.

Draw, fire two to head, four to body, two more to head. Clear malf and reload as needed.

edited to add: There are so many variables this wouldn't be consistent enough to be "fair," but it would certainly be a more challenging set of tasks with a lot less ability to preload the complete shooting task into your brain at once.
    That'll do. lol

Something I just thought of. Will FAST 2 need to be an 18 round exercise compared to FAST being a 6 round exercise? With the 3 runs and staggered mag loading, it would seem to me that a shooter would need to do all 3 runs for a valid test.

User Tag List